Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XR is more than 24 hours old, and I still haven't figured out how to use the instrument cluster. As indicated in the image attached, which is a copy from page 21 of 2011 Cross Roads manual, there are various modes to display on the instrument cluster. Some are standard, and some are optional modes. What is the difference between standard and optional?

When I cycle through with the mode button, I see Trip 1 (but not Trip 2), Odometer and RPM.

How do I get to display the other goodies, like Trip 2? Average Fuel Economy, Trip Time, Average Speed, Ambient Air Temp, etc.? Did anybody figure this out?

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What?! $50!? :confused:

Oh wow. Well, I surely do want that extra info displayed, especially ambient air temp, dc voltage, and the fuel economy... but wow, I have to get taxed $50?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't ask my dealer about it yet. I like to have the info instead of being at the mercy of the dealer, and have to follow anything they say. That's why I'd like to learn about it this way. At first I thought maybe there's something I have not enabled myself and that's why I was seeing the limited information. Maybe they'll flip it on when I take the scoot in for the 500 mile service, which I plan to let the dealer handle.

Can anybody else provide some input?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will start another thread on this second topic/issue I have, as I don't believe the two are related, but, just to add it here, my cruise control doesn't seem to be operating.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Tell ya what. Angel and I should be down there in about 3 weeks. Going to take her to Dineyland for the Winter wonderland (she's never been). GAWD I love Disneyland!!

I'll help ya out with any problems if you haven't sorted them out by then.thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Diamond. I appreciate the offer, and I might end up taking you on it. Is Porti coming too?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
DUH...I don't know what I was thinking. Take that puppy back to the dealer and have them fix it. Thats what the warranty is for!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope there is no charge - this will be ridiculous if there is. It's like saying the air in the tires is extra.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Ok. It took some doing to find where I had read about it but it wasn't online. It was in the 2011 Victory Catalog you will be getting soon since you just bought a Vic.
Unfortunately I was right. They call this the "Cross Roads Speedometer Unlock" in the catalog.

"Expand the information provided by your instrumentation. An authorized Victory dealer must perform a reflash to unlock these features: second trip meter, tachometer in the LCD, average range, trip time, volt meter, ambient air temperature (air temp feature requires external sensor, sold separately."

PN: 2878478 '11 CR $49.99

It stuck in my mind because I thought the same thing as you guys. How could they charge for something like this. I didn't dwell on it because it's for XR's and I have a JP.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cross roads speedometer feature unlock

Thank you, BBob for finding that info. Based on the part number you've provided, I found a little description of this $49.99 item:

CROSS ROADS SPEEDOMETER FEATURE UNLOCK

Expand the information provided by your instrumentation. An authorized Victory dealer must perform a reflash to unlock these features: second trip meter, tachometer in the LCD, average fuel economy, instantaneous fuel economy, Fuel range, trip time, volt meter, ambient air temperature (Air Temp feature requires external sensor PN: 2875949, sold separately).

Can you say "ouch?" - I can't stop saying it...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Why give something away for free when you can get people to pay for it? I tried to get the unlock thrown in when I bought my 2011 XR; it didn't work out - I bought the first 2011 in Utah and the dealer had no idea what the unlock was. Oh well, it's worth $50 for me just to know what the temp is. Just because you're layered up and warm doesn't mean that there's no chance of black ice. I prefer to come out of corners the same way I go in, upright!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Worth it? Yes! Do I feel cheated? Yes!

Why give something away for free when you can get people to pay for it? I tried to get the unlock thrown in when I bought my 2011 XR; it didn't work out - I bought the first 2011 in Utah and the dealer had no idea what the unlock was. Oh well, it's worth $50 for me just to know what the temp is. Just because you're layered up and warm doesn't mean that there's no chance of black ice. I prefer to come out of corners the same way I go in, upright!
Yes, it is worth to pay $50 and get all that info, no question about it. However, I feel that it cheapens the experience that we have to get charged for that. It just makes the whole thing look bad. It's like a used car dealer offering you the spare key for $100 after you've purchased the vehicle. :mad:

I will end up paying the $50 because I want to have all that info on the bike (unless I can figure out a free or cheaper way to get it working). Regardless of the outcome, this is nothing more than a cheap trick from Victory, and they've lost some serious trust points with me. I will have to be as cautious with my beloved manufacturer as handling a venomous snake from now on. :(

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Try buying a new car; a dealership sells you a car and then tries to get you to buy paint protection, upholstery protection, carpet protection, undercoating, and an extended warranty.
All these things (just like the speedometer unlock) aren't necessary but they try anyway and a lot of unsuspecting individuals get suckered into buying one or more of them.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try buying a new car; a dealership sells you a car and then tries to get you to buy paint protection, upholstery protection, carpet protection, undercoating, and an extended warranty.
All these things (just like the speedometer unlock) aren't necessary but they try anyway and a lot of unsuspecting individuals get suckered into buying one or more of them.
True. I once was a finance manager, and made a living selling useless stuff to innocent folks. However, those things are truly add-ons. The cluster is already built with all it needs to display everything! It's like we got the trial version of the cluster, and for the full version we must pay the licensing. :(

You know, they should make it a pay-per-view subscription. And if you stop subscribing, your cluster shows only the absolute essentials. Hehe. Now I wonder if my bike came with all the horsepower and torque advertised, or if I have to pay them extra to get the beast unleashed. :crzy:

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: I have attempted again, but it's not working. I've waited more than 3 seconds, and the cruise control is not setting. I will venture to assume that one of the switches (clutch, front break, rear break) remains closed, and thus not allowing the speed to be set. Will continue to investigate, and post any findings. If I can't figure it out in the next few days, I will have to let the stealership earn some warranty work money.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts