Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a bike for sometime my last was a 89 Goldwing. Sold it when there wasn't time to ride after marriage and kids. Well, its time to get back out there! The Victorys have really caught my eye. I live in an area where HDs are everywhere and I want a different style. Decided this was the year. I have come across a nicely equipped 2007 KP. really like how it fits. ( I'm about 5'8" 155#'s) and its reasonably priced. I have also found a fairly basic 2010 Cross Roads that is about 3hrs away that is in my price range also. I have test rode a few KPs (05-09s) and really like em. I don't have anyway to get on a Cross Roads without drivin the 3 hrs. So my question is is how does the seat height and handling compare? One thing that concerens me of the Cross Roads has the Arlan Ness Ape Hangers. How do they fit and what would it take to put stock bars back on? That's enough for now. Thanks for your replies.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I have both. CR out handles the Pin . My Pin will smoke my Cr side by side. The CR will leave the pin in the corners though. Seat height is about the same. The Pin has a more raw motorcycle feel to me. The CR is more comfortable and tame feeling. I have been meaning to sell my Kingpin, but every time I ride it, it puts a big smile on my face. Tough decision for you. For me though, I will be selling the Pin since I like to go on fairly long rides. And the CR definitely outshines the Pin in that arena.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for more so for a cruiser. I am new to the Victories. Anything in particular I need to watch out for with the XR? I know the guy with the KP and the bike. The XR has about 10k miles on it. What is the average life of the tires, belt ect. It is pretty stock with only windshield and leather bags. so there is room for some personalization. Any upgrades recommended? Cost?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am looking for more so for a cruiser. I am new to the Victories. Anything in particular I need to watch out for with the XR? I know the guy with the KP and the bike. The XR has about 10k miles on it. What is the average life of the tires, belt ect. It is pretty stock with only windshield and leather bags. so there is room for some personalization. Any upgrades recommended? Cost?
Test ride 'em all! Tires 8k-13K. Belt life, 30K recommended change. The Kingpin price point is most likely lower than a XR. I ride a Kingpin. My favorite ride of the new bikes was a XR, probably because it handled better than the XCT or Vision that had the extra fairing weight.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had 6k on my 2010 XR when I picked up two nails almost side by side on my rear tire so I put on a new one. I changed my front at 15k and just put on my second rear at 19k (so I got 13k out of it). I've also know people who get much more wear out of their tires as well as people who don't get as much.

Maintenance is EXTREMELY easy. Change the oil, lube the cable ends, and give it the once over every 2500 miles for a 2010. The 2011 on up had engine and transmission upgrades which extended the oil change to every 5k. 15k Victory recommends you change your fork oil and lube your steering head. Belts are recommended to be changed at 30k. Some do, others keep an eye on the belt and will change it when it looks worn.

One problem some have is the air filter is under the tank. Personally it's not that big of a deal. And that leads me to the biggest maintenance complaint I know of. The fuel pump is mounted on the bottom rear of the fuel tank. The fuel hose connects to a plastic nipple. If you are not careful putting the tank back on you can easily break the nipple off. Some have and repair it with a new metal nipple. Others have replaced the fuel pump, which as you can imagine is quite expensive.

Here is a video showing what's involved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Y2vA2UljA

And there are lot of other videos at Witch Doctor's YouTube site
https://www.youtube.com/user/witchdoctorbillet/videos

The only upgrades I've done are bars with a 2" pull back and the Victory performance filter and that was only because it is reusable. I'm happy with the power from a stock bike. Others have changed pipes, put on slip-ons, PCV fuel controllers, and cams. Still others lower it. It all depends on what your happy with.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
CR out handles the Pin. The CR will leave the pin in the corners... I will be selling the Pin since I like to go on fairly long rides. And the CR definitely outshines the Pin in that arena.
I'm sorry, I have to disagree.
For one thing, the Kingpin is THE most capable cruiser I have ever ridden (that's why I bought it). Granted, mine doesn't have the footboards and rolls on speed rated radials, but the chassis is imperturbable, the bike leans deeply, and remains neutral and predictable at all times. The harder you ride it, the better it works (we'll leave the motor out of it).

Secondly, I routinely ride this bike 500 to 600 miles a day without issue. Define 'fairly long rides'.

I would say the KP has all others out-gunned... all-day-every-day. Now, If I were doing 2-up riding... yes, the CR would be better.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Your last bike was a Gold Wing and if your requirements are about the same, the XR will be the better match. I came from first generation Ventures and I find the XR a good fit and very capable for all types of riding from in-town errands to extended tours. One feature I enjoy is the removable windshield. Nice when the weather gets hot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a Cross Country in a town a few miles away. Went and looked at it. Didn't get to ride it cause of the rain but Boy did it feel good sittin on it! Nice bike but more than I want to spend. Think I'll make the drive to look at the XR. As I mentioned in my original post. The one I found has Arlan Ness ape hangers. Would I have to get all new control cables ect. to put the stock handle bars back on? Or are the apes just as comfortable?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have both. CR out handles the Pin . My Pin will smoke my Cr side by side. The CR will leave the pin in the corners though. Seat height is about the same. The Pin has a more raw motorcycle feel to me. The CR is more comfortable and tame feeling. I have been meaning to sell my Kingpin, but every time I ride it, it puts a big smile on my face. Tough decision for you. For me though, I will be selling the Pin since I like to go on fairly long rides. And the CR definitely outshines the Pin in that arena.
I have a hard time buying that. No disrespect intended. The KP is lighter, more nimble, more power and in my opinion, will leave the CR in the twisties or on any road for that matter.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I have a hard time buying that. No disrespect intended. The KP is lighter, more nimble, more power and in my opinion, will leave the CR in the twisties or on any road for that matter.
You are wrong in my opinion. Now, it is lighter. But after 15 to 20 mph, the CR clearly beats the handling of the Kingpin. More power? Definitely in lower rpms due to the cams. But top end wise, the bigger displacement gets that.
This discussion is exactly why there are different bikes. Everyone has preferences.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Read my thread where I wrestled literally for months over trading the high-ball for a hard-ball. In the end the hard-ball won. First ride when I got it home I picked up a mess of BBQ take out for the Mrs and me. Didn't even take up 1/2 a bag. Worth it. :)

But yes I loved my steel-frame bike. I'm sure however I'll have every bit as much fun as I did prior except I'll be able to do it in longer bursts before I'm ready to get off and with my gear easily stowed with a bagger with bags that are supposed to be there, rather than a bike with bags added. And a tour seat. Still got fists in the air attitude and matte paint. And boards I can move around on. I'm very much pleased I got off my ass and got it done. One dude's opinion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

For one thing, the Kingpin is THE most capable cruiser I have ever ridden (that's why I bought it). Granted, mine doesn't have the footboards and rolls on speed rated radials, but the chassis is imperturbable, the bike leans deeply, and remains neutral and predictable at all times. The harder you ride it, the better it works (we'll leave the motor out of it).

Secondly, I routinely ride this bike 500 to 600 miles a day without issue. Define 'fairly long rides'.

I would say the KP has all others out-gunned... all-day-every-day. Now, If I were doing 2-up riding... yes, the CR would be better.

Which is why I lament the discontinuation of the kingpin. It was Vic's finest steel-frame. Saw a new leftover 11 go on eBay in a dead sexy red paint job. Hot bike.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On seat height, I was worried that I'd hate the XR higher seat. The three points (seat, bars, boards) are about as perfect as it gets on the bike. I care not about the seat height now. If you can toe-touch at standstill you can ride it comfortably.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ah, ok

seat height - once I sat accidentally on my Jacket draped over the seat, and it felt great. The seat on the Hardball for me is too low. I am 172cm, with a 32" inseam.
Performance, and twisties: makes me giggle - my 'other' bike is an Aprilia Tuono v4r. The Victory has an engine 70% bigger, the Tuono has 70% more power.

I have no intention to sell Either
thumb up

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You are wrong in my opinion. Now, it is lighter. But after 15 to 20 mph, the CR clearly beats the handling of the Kingpin. More power? Definitely in lower rpms due to the cams. But top end wise, the bigger displacement gets that.
This discussion is exactly why there are different bikes. Everyone has preferences.
We're all entilted to an opinion :D I haven't come across a non-crotch rocket that could keep up with me in the twisties yet and the list of makes and models would be too long to list. Regarding top end, you won't get that either if you weigh a ton more. Weight has a lot to do with what you get. Personally though, mine is a '12 with the 106 and hotter cam than the CR (which you already know). I'm quite confident it'll take the CR in every category with the exception of long distance comfort. (I overlooked the fact that the KP he's looking at is a 100", I've not rode the 100. My KP review is based off my 106)

I do agree with you on one point, this is exactly why they make different bikes. The OP should ride both before buying and buy what makes him smile the biggest.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Which is why I lament the discontinuation of the kingpin. It was Vic's finest steel-frame. Saw a new leftover 11 go on eBay in a dead sexy red paint job. Hot bike.

I almost didn't get mine in time. I wanted a NEW Kingpin and was waiting for the new '13 KP to come out and buy it. When they released the '13 lineup I said Uh oh! I ran down to Vic and asked for a new '12 KP, they didn't have one. But they found a new one in St. Louis and drove up there and hauled it down for me. With everybody talking about how great that bike is, why in the world would they discontinue it? Was it not selling?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
...I'm quite confident it'll take the CR in every category with the exception of long distance comfort.
Except the ease and ability to bring home containers and containers of BBQ Take-Out with award winning sides AND cornbread, without spending a bunch more cash on bags that don't quite look as right on a steel-frame. While not important to many, damn it's nice. Ok, now I'm hungry.

thumb up Best statements here:
...The OP should ride both before buying and buy what makes him smile the biggest.
..The bike your ass is on determines how you feel!
My classic go-to statement: "Buy the one that truly blows your skirt up"

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The KP is a nice bike to be sure. But OP, the opinion here I'd take to the bank would be Tarzan's, as he's the only contributor so far that actually owns both models in question.

I love my XR and sorry, KP guys, I'll buy the KP being quicker, but as for it being a better handling bike? That's a tough sell. As good, maybe. Maybe. But I openly admit to being biased.

My XR has 15k on the clock with no issues, just barely replaced the tires last week, I get (with unplugged 02s and a de-stripped air cleaner) 41-43 MPG running 90 MPH and almost 50 MPG in the 50-70 MPH range. It's comfortable, nimble, more than fast enough, and you an carry a 24-pack and a couple bottles in each bag!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts