Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Cross Roads (got new in 2013) that I have less then 3000 miles on. I noticed the rear tire was bald and had cord showing! After less then 3k miles? Obviously I took it to the shop and am getting a new tire BUT.... Why is the tire worn that much in such a short time with such low mileage?

Anyone else have this problem

"Keep the rubber side down"

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have 17,000 + on my stock tires and they still have a little more to go .... Something may be out of alignment on your bike .

·
Registered
891 Posts
Low tire pressure and hard launches would contribute but that's still a pretty low number. I would have to agree that you have a tracking problem and the rear tire movement is not true. That far off I would think you'd be having some serious belt noise and wear as well.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Low tire pressure and hard launches would contribute but that's still a pretty low number. I would have to agree that you have a tracking problem and the rear tire movement is not true. That far off I would think you'd be having some serious belt noise and wear as well.
and i thought mine was bad when i got only 8000 miles out of mine. i know i ride hard and get on the throittle when taking off. so any fast wear on my tires is a direct result of my driving. now my Hionda VTX is a lot better but then again it is a much light bike and I ride that miostly one up. im not a fan of Dunlap and maybe the next time i will put Commander II on.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have a 2012 Cross Roads (got new in 2013) that I have less then 3000 miles on. I noticed the rear tire was bald and had cord showing! After less then 3k miles? Obviously I took it to the shop and am getting a new tire BUT.... Why is the tire worn that much in such a short time with such low mileage?

Anyone else have this problem

"Keep the rubber side down"
1) What PSI do you set the tire at?

2) How often do you check it?

3) And when you do, you don't use one of those pencil gauges, or a gauge at a gas station pump, do you?

4) You check the pressure when the tire's cold, right?

IMHO, the pressure's been way too low, or you're a really big guy with a full-figured passenger, or you've been doing smoky burnouts, or some combination of those three. I get a full season -- typically 8,000 - 9,000 miles -- out of my back tires, and not anywhere near cord showing (but for convenience, get a new rear at the start of each season).

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
wspollack is spot on and you should answer his questions Neal. I am OCD about tire pressures and maintain 40 front and 42 rear. I endeavor to operate my bike smoothly. I am not slow, but I do everything fluidly - no hard accelerating or braking and smooth but deliberate steering inputs. As a result, I regularly get around 20K out of a rear tire. My record is 22,000+ on a Dunlop Elite. You can do that too.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
wspollack is spot on and you should answer his questions Neal. I am OCD about tire pressures and maintain 40 front and 42 rear. I endeavor to operate my bike smoothly. I am not slow, but I do everything fluidly - no hard accelerating or braking and smooth but deliberate steering inputs. As a result, I regularly get around 20K out of a rear tire. My record is 22,000+ on a Dunlop Elite. You can do that too.
19,000 is my best on a big heavy Ultra Classic. Engine braking will kill a rear tire quick.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
That 22K was on a 1983 Yamaha Venture mostly two up and long distance touring. Shoulda mentioned that before.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you're not a big guy with low tire pressure doing burnouts...

Do you by chance have a Victory driver backrest? This may be a long shot, though not unheard of:
Those things will push down through the mount, into the rear fender, possibly push through a little plastic access door on top of the fender and make contact with the tire while you're riding. (?) I'd think you'd notice some sound from that area or vibration in your back...just gotta pop off the seat and take a looksy.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I had the tire replaced at Everglade Motorcycle, Michele told me the old tire was badly cracked and checked as well as bald. Obviously I need to keep a closer eye on my tires. Front was fine (no checking or cracking). Hmmm...... I guessing the dealer (now out of business) may have put an older tire on because after three years I would be surprised at checking.

I run the rear at 42 PSI
I usually check it weekly
I use both the my gauge (gas station gauge on my compressor) and the pencil gauge that came with the bikes tookkit
I live in Florida, so it's almost never "cold". But I check it before the ride.

Michele tells me to expect 10K or so out of the tire.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dunno, I ride pretty aggressively but changed my original stock tires at my 20k service. Yes they were a bit overdue but I still got 20k. Something is definitely wrong at 3k.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Pencil type air gauges are not very dependable for accuracy. Get yourself a good dial type. There are ones that lock the needle at the reading, which is good for checking the rear tire. The needle release button is also an air bleeder for conveniently bringing the pressure down to the desired level.

·
13,002 Posts
the one in my tool kit was off by 5 pounds. Gas station ones would be that much better.
Keep your tires out of the sun when your not riding. The sun will cause the cracking

Attachments

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts