Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Just me or Does the Turning Radius suck on this Bike?
Has anyone changed bars to fix it? if so which ones?

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
My cross country has a decent turning radius what are you comparing to?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me I do like Victories. .But The Cross Roads and country is a long bike but It don't turn like a Road king or Triumph Thunderbird, and Indian ...maybe it take awhile to get use too..

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i can do the same on my triumph thunderbird without hitting the lines..that's my point..i have seen cops on the road kings even get closer..

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
No bike runs like another brand. Long = more comfort and leg room. Go to Ride Like A Pro videos and see what Vics can do. Maybe you need to buy one of their DVDs, they are extremely helpful.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IS THIS YU RIDING OR A SEASONED VET?He still hitting the lines and would fail on the drivers test.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have it..Just wanted to know what yu guys thought about the turning.. maybe I just don't know how to ride. didn't want to start a argument...the cross is still one of the best looking bikes out there

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Ricz very impressive.... by the way the road king I'm not a fan felt like I was sitting at a desk

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
the road king ... felt like I was sitting at a desk
I've never heard that comparison before and yet it totally fits lol

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Hey Ricz very impressive.... by the way the road king I'm not a fan felt like I was sitting at a desk
Trying the Road King is what steered me to Victory. No comparison at all, in my book.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
With some practice the XR turns great. You are right though, the shorter Harley's do have a slightly smaller turning radius. I took a skills enhancement course last winter with the Goldwing riders. Ther were all kinds of bikes there. there was a guy on a SG that drug the boards all the way around. One guy I ride with is an instructor with the GW riders.Hes the only instructor there on a Vic(he rides a Vision). You would be amazed at what he can do on that Vision. I learned to get my XR almost dragging the boards on it. Close, but not quite.

·
Registered
611 Posts
All else being equal, the longer the bike the wider the turning radius, there's nothing you can do about that, it's basic geometry at work. That said, a buddy recently challenged me to take my XR around an msf course just to see what I could do with it (i'm a former rider coach for the msf). Took me a couple practice runs but I was able to do the figure 8 without crossing out of the (larger) box. I can't do it with any level of consistency but I can do it. The box is 24' wide and 60' long just for reference. Oh, and that was with low tires and a shock that didn't have enough air pressure in it as I discovered later. I do plan to try it again with the less squishy tires and somewhat higher ride height afforded by proper shock pressure.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Geometrically the less than 2" difference in length should only add 4 inches to the diameter of the turning circle.

The RK has less rake so will turn tighter than the XR. If they had the same trail the RK would be even tighter.

Even at almost the same wheelbase and trail the XR has less rake and will turn tighter than the KP.

There's a few factors to consider and most of the difference in potential is above the seat.

A Vision going through the paces (and that's not his bike)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrMrdLWV6bY

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Road Desk, mmmm, could work!
(gets on phone to HD styling and advertising)

And yeah its all the nut behind the bars.
Crank yr head around and you turn, you turn, u-turn!
The bike turns.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I can make tighter turns on my XCT than I can on my VTX1300. It really about practice and knowing how the bike handles and knowing where it's center of gravity is. When I ride my XCT. For a few weeks without riding my VTX. And then get on my VTX it's a bit squirrelly until a few turns. One time after not riding the VTX for a long time, I rode up my drive way which is steep Andes curves a bit going up.... Well I ended up crossing over the grassy patch between my house and my neighbors and going up HIS driveway. My wife was out working in her flower garden and saw this, and asked me if I forgot how to ride.:ltr:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
A confident and skilled rider can use the better balance of the Vic, and scrape the highway bars the whole way through a circle. That lean angle along with a head turn makes it turn as tight; if not tighter then any of its competition

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Head and eyes...head and eyes looking where you want to be, not where you're going. Everything else follows when the controls are used in a coordinated manner. Works on any and all bikes.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A Vision can corner like nobodies business!!!! IF they drop it they need to make the remaining Cross bikes corner like the Vision can.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts