Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rented a Cross Roads. My neck and shoulder really started hurting from an old injury after about 200 miles. Is there a difference in riding position on an 8 Ball vs the Cross Roads? I found an 8 Ball that I really like but I know I'm not going to want to ride it if I'm going to hurt every time I ride. I know I can change the bars out but I was wondering what the overall difference between the 2 bikes is?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Which 8-ball?
8-ball refers to blacked out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
As far as riding position , the 8Ball is a Cross Country and the XC's bars have 2" more pullback then the XR's do . Other then the fairing and all I believe that is the only difference in riding position .

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I think, in general, people refer to Vegas as the 8-Ball. I had to correct a guy in Kentucky. He said he wanted an 8-Ball. I asked which on and he replied with, the 8-Ball.

I told him there was the Kingpin 8-Ball, the Vegas 8-Ball, the Cross Roads 8-Ball, Cross Country 8-Ball and the Vision 8-Ball. (May be more, but that's the ones I know about...)

So he came back with "The Chopper looking one" (So he meant the Vegas 8-Ball)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not meaning to be a smart-ass but........get yourself a good chiropractor & maybe an acupuncture practitioner.

I bought three different M/Cs , adjusted , seat,bars,pegs, etc on all....looking for comfort. My pain differs from yours , but I won't bore ya about it.

At a certain age......it is the age. And it is not always what we think of as old................:(

·
13,247 Posts
No matter what we say the only way your going to know for sure is ride one.
If you get neck and shoulder pain simple work out doing shoulder shrugs will strength your muscle and maybe eliminate the pain

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the information. Unfortunately I broke my neck many years ago and have some nerve issues that rears its ugly head from time to time. Done all of the above measures and now the alternative is surgery but I'm not going to do it. Been living with it for 20 years so I'm good. I'll just play around and see what works best for me. I hate to say it but I'm really considering buying another Vmax. I use to be able to put 400 plus miles on it with not too much trouble.

I'm not in any rush so I'll just take my time and see what happens. Thanks again for the responses. I'm really trying to stick with American made products. It just doesn't feel right to ride anything else.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My buddy went in for neck surgery 3 years ago , 2 days later he was dead from a blood clot . I don't blame you for not electing for the surgery . Good luck Brother.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Pull back bars might help....Also, did the XR have a windshield? That can make a huge difference in neck/back issues...

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have neck and Hand problems but not on the Vegas. So far I can enjoying riding as the bars are back far enough to keep my neck from hurting as I sit up straighter. You might try that Model.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
We still dont know which 8-ball you were riding.??

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bought an 07 Vegas 8 Ball with 7k miles on the clock. Ive been doing a lot of stretching and the shoulder shrugs have helped. Im also noticing the more I ride the stronger I get and Im not hurting as bad. Ive got a medium size windshield on it and Ive got a Mustang seat on the way. So far I really love it! Didn't know I was going to have so much fun on it. Im actually taking off of work today to go ride. The high is going to be 60 degrees so Im going to stretch it out today!

Motorbikerx: I appreciate the input on a previous post about the 5 and 6 speed trans. The 5 does fine for me running it 80 down the interstate. I can tell a little more vibration but its not bad. The 6 would be nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I haven't used 6th gear on my XR in so long I am not sure it still works (joke). Enjoy the bike!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts