Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 XCT when using cruise control if I hold the handle bar grip instead of the chrome end cap the cruise will kick out because it is trying to turn the throttle grip is there any trick to using it I traded a 2012 Kawasaki voyager and never had any problems holding the grip while the cruise was engaged I welcome any advice to this problem.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
If I have my cruise set, I use only my left hand on the left grip to steady the bike going down the road, and my right I rest on my leg. Kinda defeats the purpose of cruise control if you're gonna hold it other than a quick emergency maneuver - just sayin.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Most of the time I have cruise on I have my hands on the grips, I hold my right hand normal on the bar and just ease up the grip if I feel it move. Every now and again I'll kick it off that way but not often at all.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have a 2013 XCT when using cruise control if I hold the handle bar grip instead of the chrome end cap the cruise will kick out because it is trying to turn the throttle grip is there any trick to using it I traded a 2012 Kawasaki voyager and never had any problems holding the grip while the cruise was engaged I welcome any advice to this problem.
I have never kicked my cruise control off without purposely closing the throttle. I have to willingly twist it forward to interrupt the cruise. But from what you're saying, you cannot even touch the grip?! You said you have to hold the handle bar by the chrome end cap. :eek:

I wonder if one of the cables is out of its track, inside the grip, which pulls the throttle grip in the "zero" position or if the tension is not right (can be adjusted by a couple of screws, facing downwards, just outside the front brake reservoir). Also make sure the chrome end cap is not holding the throttle in the forward position; clean if any gunk got in there. If you don't want to deal with it, your local Vic dealer should be competent enough to take care of it in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Something is wrong with your bike if holding it kicks it off from simply holding it. I can weave in and out of traffic with mine on and both hands on the grips.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
how much play is in the cables? When I first jumped on my Vision from my TC (no cruise obviously) that was the fist thing I noticed what I considered slop but quickly realized that little bit of play was exaxtly what you are describing which is play for the cruise while holding the grip. I did snug it some leaving enough the cruise can adjust a little either way with my hand on the grip. Try adjusting both sides of the throttle cable in a turn at the grip giving a little play back and forth and see if that helps.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It does sound like something needs adjusted on your bike. Get it checked out. One thing I do when the CC is set is to stretch my fingers out over the brake lever as a way to keep the hand relaxed. I sometimes find that I am rolling on the throttle and my speed increases but never the opposite. You should have to intentionally disengage the CC via the grip, not something that would happen casually.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Something is wrong with your bike if holding it kicks it off from simply holding it. I can weave in and out of traffic with mine on and both hands on the grips.
Mine does it, also. If I hold onto the throttle grip it will kick out...and I don't mean death gripping it. It is designed to kick out if twisted upward, but even a little pressure will sometimes kick it out. If you have read some of my other comments in this forum, you know I love the bike, but hate the cruise control. When I bought the bike, the cruise control didnt work at all. Took it in and the tech diagnosed it right away as a bad throttle cable. Said it happens on these bikes. He replaced it, and the cruise now works, but not as well as other cruise controls on other bikes I have ridden. It was also one of the complaints listed in the most recent issue of motorcycle mag. This is very sub-par cruise control compared to either Honda or Harley. Problem is, the cruise control is a big deal to me because I do a lot of distance riding.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well I have been looking at mine (no issues at all) and I now fairly well convinced it is the amount of slack in the cable adjustment rider side of the grip. Try adjusting in a single turn and see what happens. This should not give you slop in the throttle and will give the cruise some room to play. I went home last night after work playing with the cruise on and differnt positions of my hand and grip strength on the grip and it never kicked out. I did get some acceleration sometimes when I held the outer billet with the grip say on a hill or something but that would be expected and it did not kick out coming down as I could feel it start to pull my glove a little and I would just loosen my grip some. Food for thought Jckercheval, might help.

Tim

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Well I have been looking at mine (no issues at all) and I now fairly well convinced it is the amount of slack in the cable adjustment rider side of the grip. Try adjusting in a single turn and see what happens. This should not give you slop in the throttle and will give the cruise some room to play. I went home last night after work playing with the cruise on and differnt positions of my hand and grip strength on the grip and it never kicked out. I did get some acceleration sometimes when I held the outer billet with the grip say on a hill or something but that would be expected and it did not kick out coming down as I could feel it start to pull my glove a little and I would just loosen my grip some. Food for thought Jckercheval, might help.

Tim
Thanks for the advice Tim. One reason I love this forum! I'm out of town until tomorrow, but when I get home experimenting with that is going to be on my "to-do" short list.
Jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts