Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my XR a week ago. My dealer said yes. He has installed 2. It takes about 45 minutes to install it but about 8 hours to get it adjusted properly. Cost is about $400 for parts and $600 for labor. I'm having it installed as soon as parts are in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I understand your question correctly, I had the cruise control added. It's exactly the same unit as the XC, plugs in the same. It took longer than expected as I was told the wiring needed to be fished to the back - which was unexpected. Works great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The labor charge??

Greetings:
On the labor charge for the install of the XR Cruise Control,... $600?? Any chance that could be a type-o? Sounds very steep. Even for Victory.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
I get 10% off through the dealer I bought my JP from and ordered a cruise control for it ($361). I plan on installing it myself.

It's hard to imagine it takes any time at all to adjust it. All it does is hold the speed when set and turn off if the brakes are engaged.

What kind of adjustment might be needed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the labor charge that they explained to me-8 hours at $75 per hour= $600. I'm hoping it wasn't a ploy to get more money from me. It is mounted under the tank so to test it they have to put it all together and drive it. If an adjustment is needed they have to remove the tank, adjust it, put it back together, and road test it again. They have to continue doing this until it's adjusted properly. If it takes less time they said they would charge me less. It's the cables that control the throttle that has to be adjusted. I am getting the 10% discount also so my cost will be a little less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to be a pessimist about this labor charge, but I think a second opinion would be in order. That business about road testing, taking the tank off, adjusting, tank back on, road test again, and on and on,...

I'm not a cycle tech/wrench, but that doesn't sound quite right to me. Before I cough up that kind of scratch, someone would have to explain why that procedure is necessary.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I had the dealer install the cruise for me @ 500 miles. They had a hell of a time getting it installed and even ended up removing the swing arm for some reason. If I pay MSRP for any accessories they install at no cost. Mine was the first cruise they had done on an X bike and they were not happy but stuck by their word. They said never again on the cruise but of course the 2011s have that covered.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
MyVic: Are you saying the dealer said they would not ever install a cruise control on any Victory again?
No! What they said was they would never do another cruise on an X bike without charging labor. They had to spend allot of unpaid time on it I guess. But I had them do their own exhaust upgrade for $599 so I think they made out alright.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my xr to the dealer Friday to have cruise control put on plus some other accessories that I wanted. I'm hoping things go as planned. I'll let you know how it turns out after I pick it up next Friday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like there is a lot of mis-information out there. I did the cruise install on my '10 Xroads and it wasn't so bad, took about 4 hours. You ABSOLUTELY have to remove the swingarm and shock - the module fits up inside the frame casting behind the shock. There are NO adjustments other than the throttle cables - 8 hours testing my a$$!! Wiring was 'plug n play' into the factory harness. The only special items I needed were a torque wrench and a six pack of Guiness Extra Stout (the Guiness had a extraordinary calming effect as I watched the growing pile of parts!!cheers) OK. now the kicker - I bought my kit off Ebay for $89 with free shipping!!! I ain't lyin'!!! Hope this info helps.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts