Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
A tab broken off this cable would NOT cause your cruise to not set. If you remove a wire from the throttle (or is it the idle) cable, your cruise will still set but rolling off the throttle will not cancel the cruise.
If I remember correctly my exact symptom was the cruise would set sometimes and sometimes not. I could not go into diagnostics where the cruise control light would stay lit. I checked all connections and could not find the problem until I stumbled on the throttle cable tab connection breakage. That small connection did cause the cruise control to malfunction. You can check by carefully disconnecting each wire from the cable one at a time and try to enter into the diagnostic mode, it did cause my problem. Anyway can’t hurt if you have tried everything else, only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I remember correctly my exact symptom was the cruise would set sometimes and sometimes not. I could not go into diagnostics where the cruise control light would stay lit. I checked all connections and could not find the problem until I stumbled on the throttle cable tab connection breakage. That small connection did cause the cruise control to malfunction. You can check by carefully disconnecting each wire from the cable one at a time and try to enter into the diagnostic mode, it did cause my problem. Anyway can’t hurt if you have tried everything else, only takes a few minutes.
Also this is a cruise control disengagement system. It is for safety so you can stop. When that tab on the cable was broke my cruise control would not work. Whoever designed the cruise control only cared that you could be able to use all the disengagement systems so you could stop, victory did not care if you could use the cruise control with some of the features not working they wanted all stopping features to work. I could see them in court, well we put the customers comfort ahead of safety.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,977 Posts
Plenty of people use cruise without the cable as Vinish mentioned. You have to tap brake or turn off cruise to release cable.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Pulling in the clutch also turns off the cruise.

·
Registered
104 Posts
djh3 The only problem Im having is the module wont drop down far enough to disconnect the cable , do you remember how you got access to the top of the module to disconnect whatever is holding it

·
Registered
104 Posts
djh3 The only problem Im having is the module wont drop down far enough to disconnect the cable , do you remember how you got access to the top of the module to disconnect whatever is holding it
Nevermind I figured it out you have to remove the screws thru the little hole on top. This was a PITA but my cruise works now so woo hoo

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nevermind I figured it out you have to remove the screws thru the little hole on top. This was a PITA but my cruise works now so woo hoo
My friend you are correct. This job is a PIA. I would hate to see what the dealer would charge for this job. Glad yours is up and running.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
My friend you are correct. This job is a PIA. I would hate to see what the dealer would charge for this job. Glad yours is up and running.
Dealer charged me $400 to install mine. After looking at what would be involved to do it, I counted it a bargain against my time and frustration :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Im retired so I had plenty of time to do it and I kinda like the challenge but it would be worth 400 if I still had a full time job and had to do it on a weekend.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Help me by clarifying something. What is it that is being installed in this case ($400 for otab)? Is it a new main cruise control module or something else? If it is the main c.c. module, where is that located?

·
Registered
104 Posts
$300 cruise control module , its located inside the frame forward of the rear shock

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Help me by clarifying something. What is it that is being installed in this case ($400 for otab)? Is it a new main cruise control module or something else? If it is the main c.c. module, where is that located?
@Vinish my $400 install charge from the dealer was for the complete cruise control system to be added to my XC 8-ball (handle bar controls, wiring, under-fender module).

Reactions: 1ofeach

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
otab, WOW!!!! That sounds like an amazing price for all that work.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Yeah, it was a good price :)

Mind you, that was just for labor. I brought in the parts myself, didn't buy the kit from them. Just had them install it.

Still, I considered it a bargain to avoid having to do such a PITA install myself.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts