Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

I have the Victory cruise control kit installed on my Vegas 8-ball. It was bought in the USA and installed by my local dealer, here in the UK, late last year. They said they had never installed one before. The throttle cable was missing from the kit, so I had to get another one shipped from the USA. The bike was in their workshop for weeks.

So the weather closed in for the winter right after I got the bike back, so no long runs. Today was the first day I had a chance to try it out and guess what? It doesn't work!! The on light comes on, but when I press SET it does nothing to hold the speed. I tried tapping it as well as holding it for 10 seconds... nothing. I tried 20, 40 and 50 MPH, still nothing.

Is there anything I can check as to why this would be? I feel like an idiot going back to the dealer to ask them to check it, especially 5 months after they did the work. They did tell me they tested it when they installed it.

I believe this is the only accessory install of a cruise control in the UK. Victory UK have never once sold one.

I have a 2010 UK spec model, which is like the US 2011 model. I.e. 106 CI and 6 speed tranny.

Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
HELP!

I have the Victory cruise control kit installed on my Vegas 8-ball. It was bought in the USA and installed by my local dealer, here in the UK, late last year. They said they had never installed one before. The throttle cable was missing from the kit, so I had to get another one shipped from the USA. The bike was in their workshop for weeks.

So the weather closed in for the winter right after I got the bike back, so no long runs. Today was the first day I had a chance to try it out and guess what? It doesn't work!! The on light comes on, but when I press SET it does nothing to hold the speed. I tried tapping it as well as holding it for 10 seconds... nothing. I tried 20, 40 and 50 MPH, still nothing.

Is there anything I can check as to why this would be? I feel like an idiot going back to the dealer to ask them to check it, especially 5 months after they did the work. They did tell me they tested it when they installed it.

I believe this is the only accessory install of a cruise control in the UK. Victory UK have never once sold one.

I have a 2010 UK spec model, which is like the US 2011 model. I.e. 106 CI and 6 speed tranny.

Thanks guys.
Sorry to hear (read) about your misfortune. Don't feel too bad. Mine was factory installed and did not work since day one. The first thing to check is your switches (clutch and brakes) - see service manual for procedure on testing.

It turned out to be a faulty front brake switch for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Crossroads,

Thanks for the reply. Where/how can I get to see the service manual?

Did you get your cruise control sorted?

Thanks again!

James.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
If the accessory cruise control will not set or will not remain set and a throttle safety switch is suspected, perform the following test. The throttle safety switch sends a power to the cruise control module to cancel a cruise setting when the throttle is closed. Power should not be present on pin D at the module connecter unless the throttle is closed.
1. Disconnect doth wires from switch on throttle closing cable.
2. connect an ohmmeter to switch terminals. Switch should be open(OL).
3. Close throttle grip firmly. Switch should have a good continuity (less than 1 Ohm resistance).
4. Turn key on. Verify battery voltage is present on the lt BU/PK wire.
5. Re-connect switch wires securely to terminals.

Found on page 19.19 of the manual. To test all brake, clutch switches for no opens if this does not check out..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Pull apart all of the connections and the hoses to the system... blow dry with a hair dryer... don't get them too hot... add dielectric grease to all connections including the hoses. These cruise control systems are dampness sensitive and fail often after a rain, a sweat, or a bath.

PS... be sure to mark the connections and hoses before you pull them apart.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
If you do not know how, I would let the dealer that installed it fix it. There is a list of switches in series that have to be made, plus wiring harness connections. Without a book with color coded wire diagram, you could seriously screw it up where other things could go wrong. If you do not know electrical I would highly recommend taking it back to the dealer. surely they will not charge you for something that does not work that they have installed. To try to tell you how with little to no knowledge on this subject could be bad for your ride. shorts blown fuses and broken wires could cost a bunch of money. But if you want to gamble, a wire starts from the positive side of the system and will go from one brake to the next brake to the clutch to the on on the cruise to the throttle position sensor. If everything in this line does not show a fault then I will tell you how to proceed to the next.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,

Local dealer said they checked it out. They took the bike out for a test ride and said they had to press the button VERY hard to get it to engage and then it cut out just as they were returning from the test ride. They think it is the control panel as they have checked all the connections. They said Victory UK will not honour the warranty as I bought from Victory USA, so now I am stumped and dissappointed!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I read in another forum to turn it on and wait 30 seconds or longer before you try to set anything.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
316 Posts
http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/appguide-5CP02.php?make_id=6&model_id=29 this is the cruise I am going to buy.. Say what you want but this old reliable technology...:ltr:
I have one because I was told by dealer "on a 2008 Jackpot the Vic. cruise control could not be installed".

It works better than most throttle locks, I also have the throttle bosses on both grips which are nice.

The breakaway throttle lock works excellent the only problem was the shoulder bolt for the break lever was too short and I had to have a sleeve made at my local victory dealer to have a longer bolt installed cost about $9.00 installed.
The stock grip was a little out line and the lock made the throttle stick slightly when the breakaway was not engaged. The new grip installed today works very well with the breakaway no sticking and very positive lock, I think it is because it clamps on metal and is inline not like the stock rubber one.
Check out the link.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4535&highlight=grip+install

Attachments

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Miles I really like the Linbar just wish they made it in Black for my bike! I know they have the Multibar in black but the Linbar looks a lot nicer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts