Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an earlier post I exclaimed a funny crunchy noise coming from the rear of the bike. I took it to a certified mechanic and he discovered a severely out of adjustment belt…and adjusted it to spec. I'd say it easily had over 1" of play and according to my service manual should have been something like 1/3" (9.9mm).
The service including complete removal of the rear wheel assembly and inspection of the bearings (read earlier posting) and drive pulleys. I stood there and watched and helped through the service…Everything was reassembled and torqued to spec. By the book.
I rode the bike again yesterday without a helmet (yeah I know) and the noise is still there, albeit a bit more threatening sound.
Also, I'd say that my response to my post was skimpy at best…and evolved into some sort of Never Seize discussion about axles. I considered the victory forum a go-to for Q&A…now, I'm not so sure.
I've been motorcycling for 50yrs…and am completely unaccustomed to what i'd call "poor" factory support and aftermarket parts on a 2002 model bike. I realize I'm also unaccustomed to the whole crunchy, clunky, banging thing that goes on throughout my driving experience. I know the good bones are there, as I have friends with Victorys with over 80,000mi on their rides all completely dependable miles.
Now, before I "pull the plug" on this forum "help" question. I'm posting this milady one more time…Surely, someone somewhere has experienced this same sound and has a solution!
Thank you for your responses.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Sometimes people just don't know so they can't answer if certified mechanic can't fix it then posting here with an ultimatum probably won't help.

Good luck.

·
13,043 Posts
Did you pull the drive sprocket cover and check the gear. Yes I know you said rear but the front sprocket is known to fail. The sprocket is a two peace sprocket and they do come a part.
Did you check the shock to see if it broke or falling apart. Maybe the shock is binding up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

Thanks visionjohnny for your idea…will check it out without making the offensive ultimatums :ltr:,

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Some of the older bikes' drive pulley nuts were known to have worked loose. Once this happens, the drive shaft can strip the splines out of the pulley. See if you have any reddish- or rust-colored dust near your drive pulley.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Thanks visionjohnny for your idea…will check it out without making the offensive ultimatums :ltr:,
Don't be offended sir no one else is.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
.....And don't call me Shirley. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I just want to tell you both 'good luck'; we're all counting on you.

·
Super Moderator
4,988 Posts
Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some of the older bikes' drive pulley nuts were known to have worked loose. Once this happens, the drive shaft can strip the splines out of the pulley. See if you have any reddish- or rust-colored dust near your drive pulley.
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I noticed that reddish brown dust near the drive pulley when I was changing the belt several months ago. Do I have a problem?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I noticed that reddish brown dust near the drive pulley when I was changing the belt several months ago. Do I have a problem?
Check your drive pulley and the nut that secures it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks broggyr, pulled it today, cleaned it up and retorqued. Definitely loose even though it has a lockplate. 48mm or 1 7/8 socket and torque to 125ft/lb or 160nMcheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts