Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Custom Rear Fender Fabrication

23K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Notoriouscso 
#1 ·
Ok so here is what i have been brainstorming with for the past several weeks.

I am wanting to customize the rear fender/Whole rear end, on my bike to give it a more "Open Tire" look on the hind end. I was originally basing it off of Michael Songs' design but want to put the Raven Style 2-person one piece seat on it while modifying the rear subframe in order to provide sufficient support for a passenger. These pics are what i came up with for that idea. Starting with the inspiration bike.

Then the first sketch was the original idea where the Bandit seat would be the only thing acting as a rear fender, but this route would have required cutting and completely destroying the rear subframe with no option to revert back.

So the most recent idea is to take a stock Vegas fender, and in essence just rotate it up to move the taillight assembly and electrical up with the fender, eliminating the need to fabricate any lighting, but then that poses a problem with having to recut the mounting holes in the fender.

So FINAL thoughts are to simply cut out a 2"-3" section of the fender above the taillight housing unit and just shorten the fender over all, then weld it back into one piece.

With this route, i can leave the subframe intact, can revert back to the stock set up and give it the look im wanting.

PLEASE GIVE IDEAS, INPUT, RECOMMENDATIONS, etc. I have also attached a blank template of my bike so that if you have any mental ideas that you want to draw up, The TEMPLATE is here so you can print and sketch on it if you would like.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Car

Black Footwear Leg Shoe Tire

Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive design Chopper Automotive exterior

Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive design Drawing Car

See less See more
#4 ·
If you like the Rocker, go buy one. EVEN The Motor Company quit making it for a reason. people don't buy UGLY

#6 ·
Why don't you just cut the fender how you want it and use the MBW LED's that hug the edge of the fender. They work as both brake and turn signals and would allow you to clean up the rear end. As long as you keeping the same contour that may be the easiest route.

#10 ·
Dual Purpose MBW, Brake & Turns?

How would I set up the MBW LED Turning Indicators into a dual purpose, brake light AND Turning indicators?? What would i need to do to modify the wiring?

Does it have the ability to dim as a running then brighten when the breaks are applied??

#7 ·
Ok so here is what i have been brainstorming with for the past several weeks.

I am wanting to customize the rear fender/Whole rear end, on my bike to give it a more "Open Tire" look on the hind end. I was originally basing it off of Michael Songs' design but want to put the Raven Style 2-person one piece seat on it while modifying the rear subframe in order to provide sufficient support for a passenger. These pics are what i came up with for that idea. Starting with the inspiration bike.

Then the first sketch was the original idea where the Bandit seat would be the only thing acting as a rear fender, but this route would have required cutting and completely destroying the rear subframe with no option to revert back.

So the most recent idea is to take a stock Vegas fender, and in essence just rotate it up to move the taillight assembly and electrical up with the fender, eliminating the need to fabricate any lighting, but then that poses a problem with having to recut the mounting holes in the fender.

So FINAL thoughts are to simply cut out a 2"-3" section of the fender above the taillight housing unit and just shorten the fender over all, then weld it back into one piece.

With this route, i can leave the subframe intact, can revert back to the stock set up and give it the look im wanting.

PLEASE GIVE IDEAS, INPUT, RECOMMENDATIONS, etc. I have also attached a blank template of my bike so that if you have any mental ideas that you want to draw up, The TEMPLATE is here so you can print and sketch on it if you would like.

View attachment 7422

View attachment 7424

View attachment 7425

View attachment 7426

View attachment 7427
You have a great looking bike don't ruin it

#8 ·
The only suggestion I have is keep looking at custom work on the net. I like big wrap around fenders so I'm in the opposite direction of where you're going. Custom is just that........Make it yours and be happy with it. I'll almost assure you that you won't get it the way you want on the first try. It's easier to make multiple small cuts than try to put material back on.

I see a lot of custom work that I would never use on a bike of mine. That said, I admire the artistic skill that people have and their willingness to try........cheers

#9 ·
I personally think it would have a better look with a chopped rear fender using minimal lights on the back, maybe small led's for brake and turn signals. However if you did decide to go with your mock up design I would go with a different set of bars to keep a nice flow to the line's on the bike. Something like clip on bars or drag bar's. To me if I was going to set out to fab my rear fender I would also lower the bike, and hide wire's on the bike to give it a clean look.cheers

#12 ·
Hammertime,

Great input!!! I have already lowered the bike 1.5 inches and am having issues bottoming out over higher speed bumps, but if I can cut the "Other" fender short enough to follow the end of the subframe, then i want to use small bullet lights on the sides as turning and brake lights. I am cusrious as to how i would make a set of lights act as both Running/Brake lights AND Turning Signals?

Any input.

#13 ·
My best advice would be to try and get your hands on a electrical wiring diagram in a service manual (free pdf file maybe?). With the wiring diagram that will let you know how much current you have running to each signal too so that way when you rewire the rear you install the proper fuse's and proper gauge wiring so you don't fry it the first time you turn the light's on.cheers

#14 ·
I have a Jackpot not a Vegas, but this is what I did. I cut about 8 inches off the fender , welded on some 1/4 round around the cut part and then had to make a a bucket the shape of the spade light so I could french it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.