Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Nice - following with interest! Greetings from a fellow Brit, army veteran, now living in Taiwan.

Unfortunately here in Taiwan it is illegal to modify bikes at all, and especially anything over 550cc (we have different coloured plates to designate under 250cc, 250 - 550, and over 550cc) tends to get police attention.

Some of the young guys do modify their bikes, but usually sub-200cc stuff, but some awesome work nonetheless. We have an annual government inspection once a bike is 5 years old, and they will check a computer image of your exact bike model and year, and it should be stock, even mufflers, lights, etc. Over 10 years old the inspection is every 6 months. Groan.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Nice - following with interest! Greetings from a fellow Brit, army veteran, now living in Taiwan.

Unfortunately here in Taiwan it is illegal to modify bikes at all, and especially anything over 550cc (we have different coloured plates to designate under 250cc, 250 - 550, and over 550cc) tends to get police attention.

Some of the young guys do modify their bikes, but usually sub-200cc stuff, but some awesome work nonetheless. We have an annual government inspection once a bike is 5 years old, and they will check a computer image of your exact bike model and year, and it should be stock, even mufflers, lights, etc. Over 10 years old the inspection is every 6 months. Groan.
Sounds like a boring place to ride. :(

I suppose you have to go for the best you can get stock then.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Well, having lived in quite a few different countries over the years I am a great believer that there are pros and cons wherever. I love my High-Ball. I've spent a fair amount on her mainly with bolt-on goodies I can swap back if necessary, and usually swap over to some Akrapovic slip-on mufflers which aren't too loud, but just a bit more edgy than stock, and of course it is a simple job to swap back for the annual test. I should have an ugly red front number plate, but so far haven't been picked up for not having one, and I just use a velcro sleeve with the plate for the inspection. Oh yes - we're not allowed to ride on the motorways (inter-state freeways) either!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Oh yes - we're not allowed to ride on the motorways (inter-state freeways) either!
That might not be too bad if you at least have roads you can cruise. Sounds like a very anti-bike place to live.

Bike looks good. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Very cool thread, lots of hard work!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That's gonna suck some air.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts