Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this 2008 Victory Vegas Low that,I was told, had been sitting for many years and wouldn't start on its own. Fuel pump wasn't working so I pulled it out and when I did the tank had huge flakes of sealer (I guess) in it.
The fuel pump assembly had a yellow wire (that seemed to be intentionally cut) going to some little barrel looking sensor. Can't find it anywhere online and I was wondering if someone could tell me what that is.

I have an aftermarket pump repair kit from Amazon and was going to throw it on but now seeing the cut wire I'm unsure if I should just be attaching this new stuff to the rest of the fuel pump assembly with a cut wire like that. The entire pump assembly is discontinued but I found one for a 2006 vegas 8 ball for around $200 and I think I may just buy that.
Sleeve Gas Wrist Auto part Electric blue

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,822 Posts
Black and yellow/red go to fuel level
Gray and Brown/yellow go to pump

Look at the manual you'll probably need it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 on the manual.
I've been using Walbro and Quantum pumps, filters and regulators for awhile and have had good luck with them.
May as well replace all the rubber bits in the fuel system while you have it apart.
Throttle body adapter, rubber caps on the TB fuel line etc..
Make sure you get all the lining out of the tank.
Sheet metal screws in the tank and shake it a lot. Wrapped one tank in foam rubber and put it in the clothes dryer for an hour (no heat!) worked pretty good. Yes, with screws. Make sure you've used a good degreaser first. Hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid works pretty good.
Old trick from decades ago.
I don't re-line the tanks afterward, I've yet to find anything that doesn't lift after just a short time. Just keep the tank full. Top it off when I get close to home. A little Marvel Mystery oil helps with rust and probably helps the fuel pump as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the flake problem on my 2012 Judge when I bought it back in 2017. I had to refinish the inside of the tank because it had rusted out and someone had done poor job of refinishing it. If you refinish it go to the epoxy stuff. Not the single process stuff. You have to mix two ingredients and then you have only limited time to cover the inside. Preparation is very important Mine is still standing up 5 years later.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you absolutely have to use a coating Caswell is the best of the bunch. Kreem and red coat not so good.
Been riding for almost 60 years, more years than not with no coating/lining in the fuel tanks.
Just keep it full and ride as much as you can you'll be okay.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the flake problem on my 2012 Judge when I bought it back in 2017. I had to refinish the inside of the tank because it had rusted out and someone had done poor job of refinishing it. If you refinish it go to the epoxy stuff. Not the single process stuff. You have to mix two ingredients and then you have only limited time to cover the inside. Preparation is very important Mine is still standing up 5 years later.
Yessirree! Prep is the hardest and most important.
Congratulations on 5 years with no problems.
GTL Advantage can and will remove any lining even if you tried to reline it yourself and reline better than factory and not disturb your paint.
Sent a customers tank to them they did a great job but it was about $500 with packing, shipping etc.
Had a custom paint job that would have been hard if not impossible to duplicate, came back without a blemish on the paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the info! I ended up finding a complete pump assembly on ebay from a 2006 vegas 8 ball for $200 and I think I'll do a straight swap from that. I like the tips on cleaning the tank I'll have to give that a shot!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts