Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jus wondering if anyone has ever cut the exhaust just before the baffles? I have had the bike for 3 years and the minute I got it, I removed those huge heavy mufflers. Been running the bike for 3 years like that...and no problems. Thinking this year of cutting them just behind the foot peg (where the 2 pipes are joined together) taking off the heat shield and wrapping them. Anyone ever try it running just straight pipes no baffles?

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Jus wondering if anyone has ever cut the exhaust just before the baffles? I have had the bike for 3 years and the minute I got it, I removed those huge heavy mufflers. Been running the bike for 3 years like that...and no problems. Thinking this year of cutting them just behind the foot peg (where the 2 pipes are joined together) taking off the heat shield and wrapping them. Anyone ever try it running just straight pipes no baffles?
Gonna be noisy with an obnoxious sound on deceleration I would think.
My mate from Melbourne just drove up here for the 50th Winternationals, I left my original OEM Vegas exhaust that I got in bits when I bought my bike after catching a plane down there.
Couldn't believe how heavy those factory mufflers are when I picked em up to move em inside my workshop!

I'm now running curved straight pipes as in straight meaning no baffles at all except a lollipop I made to go in each pipe 4" in to take out the "Woop Woop Woop" noise on decel..... It works.
My pipes are actually Freedom Performance Slash pipes that I've removed the last 30 inches or so that had straight through spiral louvre baffles, and I got a local exhaust shop to bend me up 2 sections of plain 2" zorst pipe to suit.
Worked out ok, cost me a carton of piss(Aussie slang for beer), and on the dyno next day picked up 6 HP and similar Torque from 3000 rising gradually to the limiter.

Naturally I lost a bit under 3000, and Torque don't start building till 3000, but who rides under 3000!
I do, some if the time but these Vic's got that much grunt, specially with my mods that it's not noticeable.

You've still got the factory header pipes so unless you've succeeded in ratting out the cats they are still in there.

I can understand your hot rodding instinct to modify what's there to get maximum performance but I've learned the hard way that in the end it's probably a better idea to buy a good system rather than play with the originals.
If you're short in funds and have time to play around you've got nothing to lose.
I assume you have a fuel controller to richen up the mixture on these already lean machines.

I will know for certain when my RPW slash pipes hopefully arrive today after a long trip from Tennessee to the Gold Coast Australia.
Once they're bolted on and I get her run up on the dyno I'll be able to tell just how much a well designed and engineered system from RPW stacks up against my best efforts.
I'm really hoping my efforts were a waste of time and $52 for the beer.
More will be revealed.
Keep us posted on your efforts.
Your neighbours must love you....mine do!:angel

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Want to cut them just about 4" past the bend in the top pipe.
Where the joins are in the heatshields?
Would give a nice staggered look.
Wonder where exactly in the pipes the cats are?
I got my old zorst back at the workshop, not there right now but I can poke around in them with some wire and locate where they are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts