Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be totally crazy but there is a bike at a salvage auction here locally. Its an exact image of my 2012 CCT

I may purchase it for parts if it sells low enough but it has no keys. Can the dealer or anyone else cut keys off the VIN?

I suppose you could change out the ignition but the tank and bags would be an issue as well.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I lost my key and gave the ignition to a good locksmith he made me new keys.
then I found the one Id lost

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you just plan to use for parts you can swap over the locks from your bike.

Locksmith can make keys or you can sometimes find people selling a full set online of the lock cylinders keyed same.

If the bike is legit and not stolen or whatever I'd just get with a locksmith.

They might be marked on the locks too. My Honda the ignition when removed can get to the key number inside it and dealer can make key to match. Victory might be similar on one of the locks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, I've lost my key before (luckily I found it later) and I just pulled the ignition off and brought it to a locksmith. The problem with that is, I believe it will be missing a tooth because that key would turn the ignition but wouldn't unlock the gas cap. I had to take the whole bike up to a locksmith to have them pick the lock on the gas cap and cut the right key. THAT key would only unlock the gas cap and wouldn't turn the ignition lol.

Regardless, it's not impossible to get keys made for that auction bike.

2007 Victory Vegas 8 Ball
100 CI/5 SPD

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
yes I unbolted and unplugged it, Took him a few hours to make the keys he had to completely pull the lock to pieces, but he did it.
Get a quote first.
Didnt cost me much cos I done business with him before and Im in the automotive trade myself.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
try your key in it, you might get lucky

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Googling it looks like average around $100 for locksmith to make a key from just a lock. Seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the bike is legit and not stolen or whatever I'd just get with a locksmith.
Not too worried here. The auction house is a big time auto salvage place that has an occasional bike or UTV. It seems like a crazy way for me to get my passenger grab rails but I may buy it and mess around with it. The pictures look like it has no damage but it's there for a reason.

I'm guessing I could get my grab rails, sell off same parts, keep the tri-ovals and go from there.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
yeah sounds reasonable,

·
Registered
342 Posts
i had done the exact thing you did and now i keep a spare in saddle bag. i will get another and put it some other place

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm the third owner of my used CCT and it came with 4 keys...

I think one of the prior owners must have lost one and wanted backups. :)

As for buying bike at auction if you get it cheap you can part out to easily make most or all the money back. Just selling a trunk alone can get you $1500. Sell the other bolt on parts or swap them to your main bike. Keep it ridable and you can sell for more than you bought it for.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i had done the exact thing you did and now i keep a spare in saddle bag. i will get another and put it some other place
When I go on long rides I carry a spare key on a lanyard around my neck...8) and I found a guy up here will make the keys for 9 Bucks each 8) so I have a couple spares!

Ride Safe,

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts