Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the old girl for a spin after I loaded the smoker up with ribs this afternoon. When I was letting it warm up I noticed the fuel light was blinking and this made my decision of where I was headed for a ride "straight to the gas station". Didn't think I was gonna make it she coughed at the first roll on when I got on the road so I babied her for the three mile run to the station and just before I got there I started to wonder if I was gonna make it..... But I did! Fueled her up and away I went and guess what same thing coughing and bucking over 2400 rpm. The only time the bike has done this to me is (1) Running real low on gas (2) When I brought it home from storage on a dead battery. The tanks full and the battery is brand new and fires her up. Any thoughts? As I sit here and multi task "type" "drink beer" and "watch the pit temp of the smoker" did I suck some crap into my fuel filter? And oh yeah it's rained for just about a straight week here and I hate to admit it but she lives outside :( Did something get wet? Not the first time it's been out in the rain thoughts....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,047 Posts
maybe you need to clean the fuel body's and check the batter cable to see if there tight

·
Registered
813 Posts
What kind of battery did you put in it? When I brought my bike home it would start and run, but ran like crap. I cleaned the throttle bodies, did not fix it. I had a junk battery. The PO had just put it in there but it was no good. If it is not a good brand name battery, go get you one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ImageUploadedByMO Free1369779630.751201.jpg This is my battery I bought cost me around 100 don't know if I can get much better. Got home today after it sat the last two days drying out and decided to go for a spin. Almost the same thing but worse coughed and missed right off so I decided to do a few mile loop to see if it would "fix itself". Got about three miles from the house and the cough miss started to come in around 1800. Whipped her around and headed for the house. Now I'm attempting to take the tank off to get at the throttle bodies the tank that I jus filled by the way. Any suggestions, tips on taking the tank off seems to be a pressure fitting coupler in the middle of the tank that i cant reach holding me from getting it off. Gonna do a thread search too thanks.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah battery terminals were tight too.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
My money is on dirty throttle bodies. When did you clean yours last (how many miles ago)?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally never have. My second year owning the bike gonna do it as soon as I get the tank off or take the fuel out of the tank and then take the tank off from what I've read.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I personally never have. My second year owning the bike gonna do it as soon as I get the tank off or take the fuel out of the tank and then take the tank off from what I've read.
Needs to be done every 5,000 miles (or every 2nd oil change). That's your culprit right there. thumb up

·
Registered
813 Posts
It still can be a battery. By hear fuel injected bikes are so picky with the volts/amps when starting. I'm not saying not to clean the throttle bodies. It will not hurt. Make sure battery is charged full and have a shop load test it.

The fitting is a metal version of the rear one. Has a little metal clip to push in and then pull the line down. Be careful to not damage the oring or it will leak. I have had mine off a ton. There is also a Ben Jose and you float sending wires. Will be taking it off again soon to run power for all of my gadgets when I mount my HD fairing. Ordered my Dakota Digital Speedometer today. Will get the other gauges and radio as money allows.

If I can be more help let me know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ImageUploadedByMO Free1369788496.313880.jpg what my finger looked like wiping the sides past where the butterfly's seat.....my guess is the last person to touch this area of the bike was the guy gal who worked the assembly line in 2000.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Definitely part of the problem. Hope it fixes it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah me too gonna take the battery to work and have the mobile shop test it for me. If it's bad I did get a whole three month warranty on my highly priced battery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well just put the bike back together. Throttle bodies cleaned battery tested out good after the smoke blew over from start up I still have the same problem. I posted a vid on my YouTube channel ill get a link posted once the iPad recharges thought I could upload a vid here from my iPhone but it won't le me. One thing that I did notice as I did the other day the r.p.m.s dropped from 2500 down to 1800 to 2000. Never thought much about it til now. It's warmer today and after starting and revving it a few times thinking waking the dead might help its directly related to temp as far as the r.p.m. drop off what would be temp related to make this cut out?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Here's the link.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Well just put the bike back together. Throttle bodies cleaned battery tested out good after the smoke blew over from start up I still have the same problem. I posted a vid on my YouTube channel ill get a link posted once the iPad recharges thought I could upload a vid here from my iPhone but it won't le me. One thing that I did notice as I did the other day the r.p.m.s dropped from 2500 down to 1800 to 2000. Never thought much about it til now. It's warmer today and after starting and revving it a few times thinking waking the dead might help its directly related to temp as far as the r.p.m. drop off what would be temp related to make this cut out?
Doh! :confused:

Have you done a vacuum leak test?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Cross Roads I have not....any idea where to start?
Spray some aerosol around the throttle bodies, and see if you get an RPM change, while the bike is idling. You could have a loose bolt or cracked gasket/hose - if you get a change in idle RPM, you will know you're spraying at the leaking part.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10/4 gonna try it tomorrow after work. The bugs are way too bad to deal with tonight!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts