Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read the latest CW comparison of timeless designed cruisers including a Guzzi1400, HD Deluxe and an Indian Chief Classic ? Seems the Indian got a fair shake on this one.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
It seems to me the knee dragger mags are quite objective and more committal when it comes to reviewing non-sport bikes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have yet to ride a new Indian. I'm afraid I will like it too much!

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
I have yet to ride a new Indian. I'm afraid I will like it too much!
Don't go to the Daytona Bike Week then. There should be lots there and test rides available too.

I like them a lot and would love to add one to my little stable but it's just not in the cards right now. I think I would like to see a couple of years under their belt before jumping in anyway just so they can find and work out any bugs missed during the normal testing process.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Apparently Polaris designers are genetically predisposed to highsiding in the last turn. They smacked the wall with details on my Vic and it may be repeating on some small potatoes with Indian. Even CW, a rag not without a sense of restraint when it come to criticizing the products of manufacturers that pay for it's staff junkets, found ground for mincing about the control scheme and the boards mounts on the Chief, both items small details that can be made to conform to the standards the rest of the machine displays.
Why? This ain't the Panama Canal. Engineer and manufacture controls that are functional and if not the most beautiful parts of the bike, at least visually neutral. The rider has to have this stuff right in front of them all the time. Can't controls do their job and still either speak to the pedigree of the machine or say nothing?
I'm a tad sensitive to this issue because when I look at my bars I wonder if when they were finalizing controls concepts on the Vic, was "handlebar controls to evoke a sense of gonads after a hot shower" the checkbox that sold the design?
It's almost like they plan this goofiness. Let's give them something easy to whine about. How about instead let's not?
What a bike looks like from ten feet away is what the world sees.
What it looks like from one foot away is what the owner sees.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir Pop, When it comes to floor boards Vic's the king. Handle bars not so much. I put a set of HMD black powder coated bars on my XC. They definitely added to the appeal. The dangling control pods? well as long as they are black they blend in well. Actually I like them. They function well and if there is a failure they look easy enough to replace.

I've been up close to the Indians and they are stunning to say the least. Sitting on them they fit my frame better than any bike I have sat on. The finish on these is as good as it gets. If I were to park a new Chieftain in the garage next to the Vic it would be for the rest of my life a difficult decision on a ride day as to which one would get the duty.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't go to the Daytona Bike Week then. There should be lots there and test rides available too.

I like them a lot and would love to add one to my little stable but it's just not in the cards right now. I think I would like to see a couple of years under their belt before jumping in anyway just so they can find and work out any bugs missed during the normal testing process.
I have visited Pompano Indian twice and both times the Demo Chiefs were available to me. Both times I declined. Why? I know me. I am weak. It's pathetic I know.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... I've been up close to the Indians and they are stunning to say the least. Sitting on them they fit my frame better than any bike I have sat on...
How tall are you?
I have visited Pompano Indian twice and both times the Demo Chiefs were available to me. Both times I declined. Why? I know me. I am weak. It's pathetic I know.
You're braver than me. I don't dare get close to them, never mind seat or touch one. For now, I refrain to reading article reviews and drooling from a distance, until I am able to bring one home and keep the XR as well.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Its looking to this observer that Polaris is already making certain their two motorcycle lines do not compete. I just received a multipage brochure from Victory showing their bike and clothing offerings. After recovering from seeing the $70 sweat shirt, I thumbed forward (I peruse from back to front for some dumb reason) to the bikes to discover NO CROSS ROADS! A few revolutions of the gears between my ears had me come up with an AHA moment...Indian has an XR and they call the Vintage. That would have some having to do a coin flip at a Vic/Indian shop--not a good thing as the marketing folks see it. Besides, the XC far outsold the XR, so no great loss where Polaris and its dealers are concerned. Alas and farewell XR, it was fun while it lasted, but I am so glad I got mine when I did.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Its looking to this observer that Polaris is already making certain their two motorcycle lines do not compete. I just received a multipage brochure from Victory showing their bike and clothing offerings. After recovering from seeing the $70 sweat shirt, I thumbed forward (I peruse from back to front for some dumb reason) to the bikes to discover NO CROSS ROADS! A few revolutions of the gears between my ears had me come up with an AHA moment...Indian has an XR and they call the Vintage. That would have some having to do a coin flip at a Vic/Indian shop--not a good thing as the marketing folks see it. Besides, the XC far outsold the XR, so no great loss where Polaris and its dealers are concerned. Alas and farewell XR, it was fun while it lasted, but I am so glad I got mine when I did.
The XR is not gone. It's just going through different iterations each year. For 2014 the XR comes in Classic or 8-Ball configurations.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The XR is not gone. It's just going through different iterations each year. For 2014 the XR comes in Classic or 8-Ball configurations.
So why no XRs in that brochure CR? I know the Classic and 8-Ball are on dealer floors, but are they still rolling off assembly lines? Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
So why no XRs in that brochure CR? I know the Classic and 8-Ball are on dealer floors, but are they still rolling off assembly lines? Inquiring minds want to know.:confused:
Don't know, I didn't get that brochure. Maybe they know you own an XR and they want to sway you to a different model. :ltr:

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Don't know, I didn't get that brochure. Maybe they know you own an XR and they want to sway you to a different model. :ltr:
They'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.:mad:

·
Registered
781 Posts
If it's the same brochure I got- half the cruisers were missing from it as well. I saw a base 8 ball, a jackpot... that might be it- other than a separate section for the Gunner of course. It says something like: "See full lineup at vic.com" at the bottom.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
If it's the same brochure I got- half the cruisers were missing from it as well. I saw a base 8 ball, a jackpot... that might be it- other than a separate section for the Gunner of course. It says something like: "See full lineup at vic.com" at the bottom.
Guess I round filed that brochure too soon, JR. I'm happy with the bike I have and although I liked some of the clothes, the prices were outrageous. I want a Vic logo sweatshirt without a hood (not gonna rob a store anytime soon) and not finding one. If anyone knows who's selling that, send a link to them. Otherwise, I just might try to find iron on logos and make my own.:confused:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Thanks CR, I think they have a couple I can use. A 13" script one one the back and an 11" winged one on the front. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts