Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone read this Article comparison in the Jan14 edition of Cycle World. Chieftain vs. Street Glide. I especially loved the surprise ending. I wont mention it now in case you have not read it. I just thought it was humorous. Peter Egan wrote a complete and fair evaluation of these two wonderful machines. What I liked most about the comparison was how Indian was given kudos to their fit n finish, Motor sound, and overall power and smoothness. An attribute that HD has enjoyed for years minus the power and smoothness of course. These are great times for American motorcycles again in our lives and I'm glad to be here and still young enough to see what comes down the pike next. Maybe Polaris does have more up their sleeves for Victory. An improved drive train? different styling?
Something to ponder while some of us wait out the winter season. In the mean time check out CW's Jan 14 Rag. Good read! thumb up

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Got mine in the mail yesterday and got around to reading it this evening. I agree that it was a very fair and interesting article. I was actually impressed with the power comparisons with HD winning out in most sections with the exception of the 40 to 60 roll on. The Indian's power really shows in that comparison. It also got me wondering how the X bikes compare, going to have to dig up one of my past CW mags to see.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Got mine in the mail yesterday and got around to reading it this evening. I agree that it was a very fair and interesting article. I was actually impressed with the power comparisons with HD winning out in most sections with the exception of the 40 to 60 roll on. The Indian's power really shows in that comparison. It also got me wondering how the X bikes compare, going to have to dig up one of my past CW mags to see.
40-60 the Indian was 1.9 seconds quicker... 60-80 the Indian was 1.6 seconds quicker. The HD won the 1/4 mile drag race by .14 seconds because it's lighter and makes the same horsepower.

The article is scanned here...
http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42020&p=592101

Power output:
HD 76.8 HP @ 4820rpm and 97.1 ft lbs @ 3520rpm
Indian 75.6 HP @ 4160rpm and 107.5 ft lbs @ 2860rpm

Weight:
HD 780 lbs tank empty
Indian 827 lbs tank empty

Quarter mile Times:
HD 13.29 @ 97.32mph
Indian [email protected] 96.34mph

Top gear roll on:
40-60 mph
HD 7.0
Indian 5.1

60-80 mph
HD 7.6 seconds
Indian 6.0 seconds

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The stats are interesting but who in their right mind does a top gear roll on at 40 MPH? Can you define extreme lugging?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The stats are interesting but who in their right mind does a top gear roll on at 40 MPH? Can you define extreme lugging?
Who buys an air cooled bagger to sassify a quest for ultimate power?

I've ridden an Indian. Plenty of guys here would probably like its low end delivery. I prefer (what I perceive to be) the stonger top end of my XR. Indian feels breathless up top, but a pipe and filter would probably fix that.

How about the comfort, mileage, handling, features, warranties etc? The link to the article lead me to a forum that prevented me from opening it. I tried to create an account to see it, but it wouldn't allow that either.

Every article and every forum poster seems to gush over how improved the new Harley tourers are except for MCN who was still pretty critical of its behavior under stress. Granted, most touring riders don't ride like the MCN testers, but it'd be nice to know if the new Harleys really do buckle under pressure of if they just got a lemon.

Update:
I got in the Injun site and read the article which clipped the musings about the Harley.

Just from the spec sheet, I'd say Harley has the Indian matched or bettered in everything except high speed braking, alternator output, rear wheel travel, which is a ridiculous 2.1" and perhaps its use of bias ply tires. Like several Vic spoked bikes, Indian choose to use a bias ply E3 on its mag rim at the front, why?

I don't get the price listed for the Harley in the article. For a solid SG, Harley lists the price as $20,399. Since the Indian is also a solid color I'd think that is a fair comparison. If they chose the more expensive SG with the home theatre system in the fairing, I think that's an specious comparison since the Chiefton does not have such a fancy human/machine interface. So given that the test rider found the Harley more comfortable, better handling, longer warranty, better mileage, correcting for the price factor, and neglecting Harley's reputation for its lack of reliablity, I'd say the Harley with some aftermarket shocks is the better buy. The Harley riding author preferred the Indian. So much for riding spec sheets...

·
Registered
580 Posts
40-60 the Indian was 1.9 seconds quicker... 60-80 the Indian was 1.6 seconds quicker. The HD won the 1/4 mile drag race by .14 seconds because it's lighter and makes the same horsepower.

The article is scanned here...
http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42020&p=592101

Power output:
HD 76.8 HP @ 4820rpm and 97.1 ft lbs @ 3520rpm
Indian 75.6 HP @ 4160rpm and 107.5 ft lbs @ 2860rpm

Weight:
HD 780 lbs tank empty
Indian 827 lbs tank empty

Quarter mile Times:
HD 13.29 @ 97.32mph
Indian [email protected] 96.34mph

Top gear roll on:
40-60 mph
HD 7.0
Indian 5.1

60-80 mph
HD 7.6 seconds
Indian 6.0 seconds

Was there a cost comparison?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I have never really trusted what Polaris posts for the dry weights of the Victorys(dry weight).
XR - 745
HB - 758 (why does it weigh 13lbs more than a XR?)
XRC - 772 (does the bars and windshied make it 27lbs heavier than a XR)
XC - 765 (why does it weigh less than a XRC, it has a full fairing and crash bars)
XCT - 845 lbs (I guess the 80 extra pounds over the XC comes from the trunk and hard lowers)
I've got a rock query near my house and plan on stopping by there and using their scales to see what my XR (with windshield, front and rear guards, sissy bar, and hardbags) really weighs.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have never really trusted what Polaris posts for the dry weights of the Victorys(dry weight).
XR - 745
HB - 758 (why does it weigh 13lbs more than a XR?)
XRC - 772 (does the bars and windshied make it 27lbs heavier than a XR)
XC - 765 (why does it weigh less than a XRC, it has a full fairing and crash bars)
XCT - 845 lbs (I guess the 80 extra pounds over the XC comes from the trunk and hard lowers)
I've got a rock query near my house and plan on stopping by there and using their scales to see what my XR (with windshield, front and rear guards, sissy bar, and hardbags) really weighs.
My 23" XR windscreen in the chrome frame with a Goldwing vent in it weighs < 10 lbs.

Leather on the bags must weigh 17 lbs. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I do, not a full throttle roll on but if im on a 65mph highway and come to a town and slow to 40, i stay in 6th, then on the way out, roll on to 65-70 again, no lugging.

and the comment on weights, they all cheat at it one way or another, bikes, sleds, cars, watch the magazines where they do actual weight comparison testing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
66 Posts
I joined that Indian forum to read the article. I surfed around the forum some and wow! Lots of a-holes on that forum. Much worse than any Harley forum I've seen. One guy absolutely had a fit that they put a Victory sub- forum there under "other brands", and every one jumped on his band wagon. Most all topics under other brands were just bashing posts and negativity.

I hope the Polaris version of Indian is successful, I will probably buy one within the next few years and would like to keep a Vic in the stable too....but I hope Indian isn't breeding a whole new group of A-holes that end up tarnishing the brand.

Is it just me or did any of you guys get that feeling?:confused:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The link to the article lead me to a forum that prevented me from opening it. I tried to create an account to see it, but it wouldn't allow that either.
Perhaps they used the same website design team that the government used:ltr:

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I joined that Indian forum to read the article. I surfed around the forum some and wow! Lots of a-holes on that forum. Much worse than any Harley forum I've seen. One guy absolutely had a fit that they put a Victory sub- forum there under "other brands", and every one jumped on his band wagon. Most all topics under other brands were just bashing posts and negativity.
They are not really a bad bunch, it takes them a minute to warm up to ya. I post over there from time to time... Most of the regulars are pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So no comments guys in the article where Harley stopped the test due to a recall that could put the rider into a potentially dangerous situation due to clutch issues? Peter Egan got a kick out of following the HD trailer carrying the tester SG and Ultra camera bike back to HD's repair shop. Not a good way to end a testing article in a major publication for HD. :D

You have to ask why HD allowed the test knowing there was a problem with their bikes. The recall must of been in affect. No? :confused:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Recalls happen to all manufacturers and do you think it mentioned in the article is going to persuade someone who wants an HD or is HD for life from buying another bike? My XR's rear shock went out after 8 months of ownership sending oil all over my back tire but of course that is not dangerous enough for Polaris to consider.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Recalls happen to all manufacturers and do you think it mentioned in the article is going to persuade someone who wants an HD or is HD for life from buying another bike? My XR's rear shock went out after 8 months of ownership sending oil all over my back tire but of course that is not dangerous enough for Polaris to consider.
I can see your bitterness with that situation. I was just merely saying that during a major test in a major magazine with your direct competitor (Indian/Victory) being told by momma HD that you cant play anymore and it's time to go home, ESPECIALLY in front of all of your friends (readers) could be quite embarrassing :eek:

That's the way I read it! and I certainly didn't expect the article to end that way. HD's Rushmore bikes are just that and named to suit.(Imo.) I think they rushed them to market without completely testing some of those overseas parts. They have had their share of problems with this new model and yes no matter WHAT the loyal and devoted HD boys are going to stay true.

That's ok though because outside of comfort which the Chieftain still did well as compared to the SG. The real proof is in the millions of miles of testing on that awesome 111 motor that has yet to be opened up and tuned in that Indian. Smoothness and power brought me to my XC so I would buy an Indian before I would buy an HD anything. Here's to the Koolaid! cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts