Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to a very informative and interesting ride review of the new Indian Challenger by Cycle World. Sounds like it deffinitely warrants consideration if one has a case of 'NBF'. Cylcle World Review

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Nice looking modern motorcycle for sure. In this picture I just about see the XC Magnum.

I don't like Metzler tires so if I had one; those would go at the first opportunity. Maybe these are better. I hope so for those who have them.

Base model: $22k
Limited model: $28k

These are starting prices so getting to $30k would be easy enough with the Limited.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Here's a link to a very informative and interesting ride review of the new Indian Challenger by Cycle World. Sounds like it deffinitely warrants consideration if one has a case of 'NBF'. Cylcle World Review
What is that?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't like Metzler tires
I run Commander II on all of my bikes. I've have a set of Metz for my M109R sitting in a bedroom for a few years. What don't you like about the Metz?

Regarding the Challenger, I like it overall with the exception of the following:

Fairing - I ride on dirt often enough to know a fairing obstructs my near view of the road. Also don't like the weight it adds. I have to assume they nailed the aerodynamics.
Electronics - Don't need the three mode and traction control. Don't need radio. GPS is good, though. Still on the fence regarding ABS. My jeep has traction control. I can only disable it when in low 4. I've had that thing lose power in a turn when it thought I'd lost control of the vehicle. Irritating.

At least IMO the fairing is much better looking than the shark nose.

I hope Polaris comes out with a muscle bike with that engine that's much simpler and can be easily modified (apes, windscreen, etc.). Might make me consider trading in my M109R.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I hope Polaris comes out with a muscle bike with that engine that's much simpler and can be easily modified (apes, windscreen, etc.). Might make me consider trading in my M109R.
That's my prediction. 111/116 motor will vanish from lineup in few years and you'll see the new motor on everything. It worked for them with Victory.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
sorry, but it looks like they are trying to copy the looks of the Eluder... at least the previous versions, while not quite my personal taste had a style of their own.. this looks like they took the headlight style from the evil robot on Wall-E and stuck it on an Eluder fairing.

guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Regarding the Challenger, I like it overall with the exception of the following:

Fairing - I ride on dirt often enough to know a fairing obstructs my near view of the road. Also don't like the weight it adds. I have to assume they nailed the aerodynamics.
Electronics - Don't need the three mode and traction control. Don't need radio. GPS is good, though. Still on the fence regarding ABS. My jeep has traction control. I can only disable it when in low 4. I've had that thing lose power in a turn when it thought I'd lost control of the vehicle. Irritating.
Hi Blackhawkfan, I'm surprised that you're undecided about ABS if you do a lot of dirt roads. I do a lot, including a lot of closed throttle steep down hill 1st gear work, and I''ve grown to love the ABS.
You are spot on about fairings obstructing the view of whats about to go under the front wheel during slow dirt work. Thats one of the reasons I have a HardBall. I was once lent a Cross Country when the Brisbane dealers didn't finish a service in a day, leaving me stranded 110 km from home (they had a mechanic injured in a bike crash on the way to work).
I felt like I was riding blind all the way down my steep dirt 1.3 km driveway on the way home.
As a Jeep owner you might appreciate this pic, my wifes Jeep stuck on the driveway.
EDIT:not able to add pics. Anyone else with this trouble?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Blackhawkfan, I'm surprised that you're undecided about ABS if you do a lot of dirt roads. I do a lot, including a lot of closed throttle steep down hill 1st gear work, and I''ve grown to love the ABS.
Lots of folks love ABS, so I'm sure it's a good thing. I haven't tried it. Maybe if I someday buy a bike with ABS, I'll change my mind. Until then, I'm secure in the fantasy of complete control over the individual brakes. :)

Jocularity aside, there are times I use only front or rear. Mostly parking lot speed, but sometimes I'll drag the front going into a curve. Sometimes I'll drag the rear going down a steep incline. I fear ABS would change the dynamics too much. Of course, I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly....

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I like it. If I didn't like "different looking" bikes, I wouldn't have bought a cross country in the first place.

There's a polaris/Indian dealer real close to me and I am anticipating them getting a challenger in the showroom.

My cheap ass can't buy one right now, but I'm still gonna throw a leg over it and see how she feels! :grin

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
BBob,

You'll only have to wait ten years if you're still mad at Polaris. The Challenger should be near $10K used in 5 years.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Never been a big fan of the giant fixed fairing bikes. Too much fairing? Maybe.

I might test ride one just to satisfy my curiosity. I don't buy new bikes though. No reason to spend $20k+ on a toy I can't use half the year. Maybe if I lived in the southern states.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts