Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always, I'm concerned about safety on my bike. I take as many precautions as possible and am considering getting a pair of D&D wrapped exhaust for my Cross Country Tour; however, I'm trying to verify some information:

1) Are the wrapped version loud enough that drivers next to you and around you can hear you coming/riding beside them?

2) Can I just run with O2 sensors unplugged or do I have to get a tune (stage 1 or install a tuner)?

3) Is there any drone at certain RPMs?

4) How much louder will I need to turn the radio to get the same level of hearing as with the stock?

I know that most of these are subjective, but I would appreciate any feedback. Thnx!!!thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
As always, I'm concerned about safety on my bike. I take as many precautions as possible and am considering getting a pair of D&D wrapped exhaust for my Cross Country Tour; however, I'm trying to verify some information:

1) Are the wrapped version loud enough that drivers next to you and around you can hear you coming/riding beside them?

2) Can I just run with O2 sensors unplugged or do I have to get a tune (stage 1 or install a tuner)?

4) How much louder will I need to turn the radio to get the same level of hearing as with the stock?

I know that most of these are subjective, but I would appreciate any feedback. Thnx!!!thumb up
Where art thou from? Maybe someone close to you will let you hear theirs in person.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have the wrapped D&D's, and ran without a fuel controller, with O² sensors disconnected. At first it was okay, but within 3-4 months the wrapping on the pipes burns in a little, allowing more flow. You can start the same way, but plan for a fuel controller within 3 months or so.

Sound is just right for my taste. Loud enough on throttle, deep enough on idle, and not too loud when cruising.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the wrapped D&D's, and ran without a fuel controller, with O² sensors disconnected. At first it was okay, but within 3-4 months the wrapping on the pipes burns in a little, allowing more flow. You can start the same way, but plan for a fuel controller within 3 months or so.

Sound is just right for my taste. Loud enough on throttle, deep enough on idle, and not too loud when cruising.
Thank you for your reply. What about my #s 1 and 3?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The wrapped are plenty loud enough and get louder with miles. There is no drone, just deep mellow toughness.
I second that. They are loud enough, no drone, and are very well made - no shifting shields to deal with either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have had my pipes for 10,000 miles and still think they are the best out there. They are just right volume wise and the tone is perfect.
Yes, you can be heard by the distracted driver next to you.
I have run mine without a controller with a little popping, but it is not bothersome (O2's disconnected) I've kept an eye on the plugs, not excessively lean so I'm in no hurry to find the right controller.

I've tried to capture their sound:

http://youtu.be/TFijSPelRsA
http://youtu.be/rt4f0q7Uio4

Since I have a Crossroads I can't speak of the radio, but my opinion would be that no volume adjustment would be necessary. They are not loud pipes from the saddle.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I've had these pipes on for 13000 miles and can say they perform well with the mods I have on my bike (see signature). Some popping every now and again but not often at all.

Sounds great on acceleration but almost silent at cruising speed. About the sound, here is an interesting story. I ended up with the wrapped pipes as I am trying to get away from loud pipes. I love them loud but maybe I'm growing up a bit as I am starting to think about the big view of loud pipes. So I ride with these for a while and then I start to wonder how much louder these would be without the wrapping. About 2 weeks ago I opened them up and took the wrapping of. Just before a long road trip. 3800 miles later I can tell you that there is almost no difference from the drivers seat. Maybe there is a difference to someone riding behind me but no one noticed any difference in the loudness of my bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
269 Posts
d&d

They are somewhat louder than stock but no where near as load as the d-baffled stock cans I ran for a year.....

My o2 sensors are still connected. I own a PC V now but have not installed it yet. I get a pop here and there when shifting if I don't close the throttle all the way but no where as much as I was getting with the debaffled stock exhaust. maybe its because the exhaust is quiter and I just don't hear it?

I don't get the drone taht I got with the debaffled exhaust. I can hear the radio pretty goot even at 80

I don't remember what the radio was set on with the stock exhaust but anything past 13 doesn't change. I mostly listen to ipod. some songs recorded better than others. I actually have to turn down the volume on some songs. whit the debaffled exhause I couldn't hear some songs at all..!

I like the D&D exhaust. it is a noticible improvement in performance from the debaffled exhaust and sounds better as its not so loud. Don't get me wrong...the debaffled exhaust sound great its just that this is a touring bike and after a 7000 mile trip last year I wanted something a bit quiter. the D&D's let the bike still sound like a motorcycle but is not giving me a headache..
cheers

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I like the D&D exhaust. it is a noticible improvement in performance from the debaffled exhaust and sounds better as its not so loud. Don't get me wrong...the debaffled exhaust sound great its just that this is a touring bike and after a 7000 mile trip last year I wanted something a bit quiter. the D&D's let the bike still sound like a motorcycle but is not giving me a headache..
cheers
You have wrapped?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hav'nt heard a better sound on a Vic yet. After 2 weeks running and popping on a stock bike with D&D's I decided on the stage 1 flash and filter. My bike ran better but I thought it still wasn't right so I did the Cobra Power pro and that seemed to get the bike running pretty good. Less popping and smoother acceleration so now I'm pretty well satisfied.

Understand that popping is all part of the combustion process. You will never ever fully get rid of it. You didn't pay attention to it with your stock exhaust because you could barely hear it. Once you open up that part of the equation you just amplified the sound. Add a little more air and fuel is just necessary for a complete system.

Do your self a favor, before you spend the money on the D&D's, spend a little more on a fuel controller (VFC3,Arlen Ness, Cobra,) and Lloyds filter. Then do it all at one time.

If your waiting for the perfect fuel controller then wait cause it isn't here yet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All,

Thnx for your inputs. A few days ago I pulled the trigger on the D&Ds and decided to try out the Stage 1 flash. As noted, my main intent is better awareness by those around me. I'm no so concerned with performance although I didn't want to be droned to death, wake my neighbors or deal with a lot of popping.

From all of the good reviews, I think this set-up should be a solid choice. Wish me luck!

Thnx to all and feel free to provide continued comments as another reader may have same/similar questions in the future!!! thumb up

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I ride with these for a while and then I start to wonder how much louder these would be without the wrapping. About 2 weeks ago I opened them up and took the wrapping of. Just before a long road trip. 3800 miles later I can tell you that there is almost no difference from the drivers seat. Maybe there is a difference to someone riding behind me but no one noticed any difference in the loudness of my bike.
Thank you for sharing. That's an interesting observation. So, nobody noticed your bike sounded louder?

I'll perhaps start another post to see if others have the same experience...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hav'nt heard a better sound on a Vic yet. After 2 weeks running and popping on a stock bike with D&D's I decided on the stage 1 flash and filter. My bike ran better but I thought it still wasn't right so I did the Cobra Power pro and that seemed to get the bike running pretty good. Less popping and smoother acceleration so now I'm pretty well satisfied.

Understand that popping is all part of the combustion process. You will never ever fully get rid of it. You didn't pay attention to it with your stock exhaust because you could barely hear it. Once you open up that part of the equation you just amplified the sound. Add a little more air and fuel is just necessary for a complete system.

Do your self a favor, before you spend the money on the D&D's, spend a little more on a fuel controller (VFC3,Arlen Ness, Cobra,) and Lloyds filter. Then do it all at one time.

If your waiting for the perfect fuel controller then wait cause it isn't here yet.
i'm hopelessly wishing for thundermax to come out with a victory version of their ecu

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Thank you for sharing. That's an interesting observation. So, nobody noticed your bike sounded louder?

I'll perhaps start another post to see if others have the same experience...
Admittedly, I only rode with a few people that I rode with before I unwrapped the pipes. I did not tell the people that I rode with that I had unwrapped them. After I told them what I had done they told me they couldn't notice a difference.

Hard to tell from the driver's seat though. I'm sure it is a bit louder but its probably marginal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts