Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75 years ago the U.S.A., Canada and Great Britain assaulted the beach at Normandy, France. 150,000 men. This was the start to the end of Nazi Germany. Thousands of men died and thousands were wounded. This is a day we should all remember and give thanks to all of the men that died and fought on this day. The greatest generation...…..

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
My faded old WWII era 48 star flag is proudly flying today in honor of all those brave souls who literally had a big part in saving the world.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Whenever I have the honor of meeting a veteran of WWII, I extend a special 'thank you' for their service. It includes a statement that it is due to their effort and sacrifice and that of all those that fought with them that we have the country we cherish today.

Last week I once again participated in an event at an area Veterans Home. Each year, close to memorial day, two veterans groups get together to put on a barbeque for residents of the home which happens to have a sizeable population of WWII veterans. This year I had the distinct honor and pleasure of meeting one who fought on D-Day, with the 82nd Airborne. He lost his brother that day, who was also with the 82nd but in another unit. Not only did I give him the "Thank you!" noted above, but my condolences for his loss as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Visited there August of last year. Did a 10 hour personalized tour of the American invasion sites. A very moving experience.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Dad was there on that day. Red sector Omaha beach.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My mom was there, too. As a teenager during the occupation. She had a ring-side seat in a village on the banks of the river Seine from which to experience the occupation and the invasion. God Bless America.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Last night, I watched a PBS program about what is termed as the bloodiest small arms battle in US military history. "Seize and Secure; The Battle for La Fiere" A D-Day effort to secure a bridge in German held territory behind the beaches. It is well done and so riveting that I can not get it out of my mind, yet, I never heard of that battle until now. It repeats tonight and I am going to record it. The determination and heroism amidst great losses was unbelievable.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
My buddy’s grandfather was there. My buddy made a tribute video and I did the voiceover. I had the pleasure of knowing this proud and strong man until he died last year.

https://youtu.be/vLZSeaUs0ok

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
A great production about a great man among millions of great men who did their bit to literally save the world. RIP John.
Very professional sounding voice you got there Bbob.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Last night, I watched a PBS program about what is termed as the bloodiest small arms battle in US military history. "Seize and Secure; The Battle for La Fiere" A D-Day effort to secure a bridge in German held territory behind the beaches. It is well done and so riveting that I can not get it out of my mind, yet, I never heard of that battle until now. It repeats tonight and I am going to record it. The determination and heroism amidst great losses was unbelievable.
I don’t have that channel, apparently. I did watch Saving Private Ryan yesterday. Best D day movie ever, but so intense and emotionally gripping. It usually leaves me a bit rattled for a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts