Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have the infamous oil leak from the rear head on my '13 XC. Twice now, I have wiped up oil from the top of the transmission case and from the fins under the exhaust port on the rear head. Closer inspection and it looks to be either a head gasket or the porous head issue. Snow is flying now, so spring I'll find out what the dealer says. Kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth...haven't even put 1,000 of my own miles on the damn thing and I am seeing leaking. I guess the silver lining is that it happened before my warranty is up in June.

·
13,027 Posts
is your blow by hose hooked up? It might have come off and thats where your getting your oil from

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
is your blow by hose hooked up? It might have come off and thats where your getting your oil from

Agree! check your hose at the top, my hose was fine but the little plastic 90 it goes into had cracked. Took the broken one to NAPA and the parts guys found a Ford part made out of rubber that was a perfect fit. I can't remember the part # though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree! check your hose at the top, my hose was fine but the little plastic 90 it goes into had cracked. Took the broken one to NAPA and the parts guys found a Ford part made out of rubber that was a perfect fit. I can't remember the part # though.
That is actually the first thing I checked. The hose on both ends was secure, but I did not check for cracks in the fitting. I'll have to take a closer look at that. Thanks for the pointer!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wouldnt you rather trailer it and get it fixed now rather than loose riding time when the weather gets nice?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, I have the infamous oil leak from the rear head on my '13 XC. Twice now, I have wiped up oil from the top of the transmission case and from the fins under the exhaust port on the rear head. Closer inspection and it looks to be either a head gasket or the porous head issue. Snow is flying now, so spring I'll find out what the dealer says. Kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth...haven't even put 1,000 of my own miles on the damn thing and I am seeing leaking. I guess the silver lining is that it happened before my warranty is up in June.

"Infamous"? I've maybe heard of this 3 or 4 times out of thousands of Victory's sold and used. Hardly "infamous". Go look on the net at some of the "infamous" problems other manufacturers have with their products. Anything that is mass produced has some possibility of un-forseens. Get it fixed under warranty, be happy and GO RIDE.

·
13,027 Posts
What makes you think trailer?
Its 31 degrees and the roads are dry here in Minnesota

·
Registered
229 Posts
He said snow was starting in the first post. Im in Texas so I dont know what snow entails for yall. Here ill just not ride for a day if it snows, it'll probly 80 degrees the next day

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
"Infamous"? I've maybe heard of this 3 or 4 times out of thousands of Victory's sold and used. Hardly "infamous". Go look on the net at some of the "infamous" problems other manufacturers have with their products. Anything that is mass produced has some possibility of un-forseens. Get it fixed under warranty, be happy and GO RIDE.
John Dillinger was one bank robber. Infamous worked for him. If one head or barrel passes oil through bad castings it may be small taters in the grand scheme of things but to them that suffers through it infamous is not the worst descriptor that might come to mind.

Not my cross to bear thankfully but if the owner base does not maximize the concern to Victory then who will? From what I have read and from my basic suspicions concerning human nature and dealer behavior, the issue of casting defects is real and many dealers either do not know of it or have selective memory.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Might be sufficient to say oil leaks are infamous among motorcycles in general, especially characteristic of that brand that feels the need to stick with engineering that requires something like 60+ seals and gaskets which is frightening.. However, his is kinda sorta the first I've read on a Vic.. And I hope the last. cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bringing this back from the dead with an update. Took the bike out for a good 200 mile ride last weekend and was purposefully pretty hard on the throttle...no leak. I am going to chalk it up to the crank case vent. I did check the connections, clean them and hooked them back up over the winter. One happy camper here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took mine in a few weeks ago for an oil change and 10 k service and they noticed a slight leak on my rear cylinder at the head gasket. It has not dripped off the bike at all. There is just a slight build up on the flat area.

I've heard about this problem on the forums several times, so if they want to replace it under warranty on their dime, Im going to let them.

·
13,027 Posts
I took mine in a few weeks ago for an oil change and 10 k service and they noticed a slight leak on my rear cylinder at the head gasket. It has not dripped off the bike at all. There is just a slight build up on the flat area.

I've heard about this problem on the forums several times, so if they want to replace it under warranty on their dime, Im going to let them.
Good time to get free 1/2 labor on a cam job

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well...update on this. It was still leaking slightly. Brought it to the dealer on Saturday. They took some pics and are calling it a porous head casting. They are submitting to Polaris and will let me know when the parts are in. Pleased with the course of action taken so far. I was kind of nervous with some of the experiences others have had with their dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
My 2012 CCT had a porous front head. Rylan Vos found it at The Vic Shop last year. I brought it to my most excellent local dealer, Randy's Cycle over the winter. Victory never hesitated to replace the head and cover everything under warranty. I'm only halfway through my original warranty before the extended picks up. But no matter, I was told that even if the bike was out of the initial warranty, Victory would cover a defect in materials/manufacturing like that.

It's a fairly big job as the complete engine/trans has to come out to get the head off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2013 cross country, dealer replaced the gasket as per ma Vic's instruction. I am hoping it was just a fluke, but at least if it happens in the same spot again, it will be pretty easy to know there must be a casting issue. Will be doing cams at the end of summer, hopefully with Rylan and will have him see if he notices anything funny.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...Parts finally came in and I brought it in on the 14th for them to start the work. I picked it up on Saturday and to my surprise, they ended up replacing both heads (rear was the only one leaking). I wish I would have know that ahead of time because I could have ordered up some cams from lloydz and had them installed as long as they had it apart...oh well. I've put a few hundred miles on and so far so good. I would have had wet rear fins by now with the old heads, so looks like I am in the clear!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts