Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Cross Country. 39,000 miles. Last modification was the addition of HID kit (High and Low), about a month or two ago. Have not ridden the bike since Thursday, last. All the usual things happen when I turn the key to the on position. But only heard a clicking sound when I pressed on the start button. Turned key off and tried three times, fourth time motor kicked over started. Got about two blocks away and my low beam headlight went out. Pulled the clutch in and also noticed that the battery readout showed the needle pegged at the top (18)? The needled went down and the headlight came back on? Continued to ride and after a mile the headlight went out, battery needle pegged at top, and an engine light came on. Turned on the Hazard lights, so that I could warn others, but those ceased working after a few minuets. Then I turned the left turn signal on, and it also stopped working after a few minutes? Went another mile, same problem all the way home but without engine light showing. Really strange part is, when I turn the High Beam on, the battery needle stayed between 14 and 12, lights never went off?
Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I am leaving work early, so that I can get home and try to figure this out. Will periodically check this site

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
2011 Cross Country. 39,000 miles. Last modification was the addition of HID kit (High and Low), about a month or two ago. Have not ridden the bike since Thursday, last. All the usual things happen when I turn the key to the on position. But only heard a clicking sound when I pressed on the start button. Turned key off and tried three times, fourth time motor kicked over started. Got about two blocks away and my low beam headlight went out. Pulled the clutch in and also noticed that the battery readout showed the needle pegged at the top (18)? The needled went down and the headlight came back on? Continued to ride and after a mile the headlight went out, battery needle pegged at top, and an engine light came on. Turned on the Hazard lights, so that I could warn others, but those ceased working after a few minuets. Then I turned the left turn signal on, and it also stopped working after a few minutes? Went another mile, same problem all the way home but without engine light showing. Really strange part is, when I turn the High Beam on, the battery needle stayed between 14 and 12, lights never went off?
Does anyone know what the hell is going on? I am leaving work early, so that I can get home and try to figure this out. Will periodically check this site
Most likely you need a new voltage regulator. See if the area underneath the chin of the bike smells like sulfur - if it does, the voltage regulator is on its way out. Don't ride with a bad voltage regulator as it will ruin the battery, if it has not already.

·
Registered
203 Posts
First off i would try just disconnecting the hid set up and try that..at least to eliminate if that is the problem. Other then that possibily a voltage regulator that is going out.. throwing to much voltage out and messing up the computer??? Not sure why it wouldnt want to start on your first couple tries though? One more thing check your battery cables for secure connection...might even be a battery issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

miniski,
Will be getting home about 2:30. That is on my list of things to check. Riding for thousand of miles and have never experienced or heard of this issue before?

Thank you!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friends I never met!

All,
Trust and depend on good people like you to share your knowledge without hesitation.

Thank you for the suggestions and quick replies.

God Bless!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Like Kevin X said low battery can make a motorcycle do some stupid ****, Hid's spike on start up but for only about 7 seconds or so. I've seen batteries that look good and test good but are actually the culprit for many issues....

Sent from Hell....

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
First off i would try just disconnecting the hid set up and try that..at least to eliminate if that is the problem. Other then that possibily a voltage regulator that is going out.. throwing to much voltage out and messing up the computer??? Not sure why it wouldnt want to start on your first couple tries though? One more thing check your battery cables for secure connection...might even be a battery issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
My answer was not a guess. This reaction is typical of a Vic starting with low voltage or open circuit in or to[cable] battery. The problem is either a loose connection of the terminal or a battery with an internal bad connection between two plates. Again...This is not a guess

·
Registered
450 Posts
My answer was not a guess. This reaction is typical of a Vic starting with low voltage or open circuit in or to[cable] battery. The problem is either a loose connection of the terminal or a battery with an internal bad connection between two plates. Again...This is not a guess
That's kind of funny. On Another forum I responded to his post with:

Based on what you desccribe and a quick look in the 2012 XC service manual, I'd guess regulator. I recomend you download the 2011 service manual. If you're handy with a digital multi meter and following instructions, you can test the system. Simply TOO MUCH info. and flow charts to walk through it in a forum. A REAL mechanic (That Would NOT Be Me) may be able and willing to break it down. I have to go step by step, A-Z to get it right.
It would seem I skipped step A!

Then I read the intro to troubleshooting the charging system again and realized that right there in Black and White it states:

NOTICE: The battery must be fully charged and in good condition to obtain accurate readings.
It then goes into the flow chart. Me being simple, I'd start with the battery as Kevin says. He does do this for a living and has a handle on all the little quirks of our machines.cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Conclusion!

All,
Found both terminals were in deed loose. Disconnected the HID's. Tightened terminals and went for a ride. No change? Put in a new battery in. Went for a ride, no change? So the only thing I guess is the regulator? Question: are regulators covered under warranty? Where can I look for a fair price on a new rgulator?

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
All,
Found both terminals were in deed loose. Disconnected the HID's. Tightened terminals and went for a ride. No change? Put in a new battery in. Went for a ride, no change? So the only thing I guess is the regulator? Question: are regulators covered under warranty? Where can I look for a fair price on a new rgulator?

Thanks
Yes, it's covered under the warranty. cheers

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
All,

Thanks
Make sure battery is fully charged first. When you say no change. Do you mean the lights are still screwing up, AND the charge indicator is spiking or just the lights crewing up

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Answers

Kevin,
The problem is instantanious light goes out and the battery needle spikes.
Did a forum search on voltage regulator. Battery reads 12V. At idle 13V. Turned the throttle to about 3k, light went out, battery needle spiked and read 17+V.
You still think regulator?

Thanks for helping!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts