Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of an actual problem arising from using a car tire on their motorcycle? I have been reading about this for quite a while now and can't even find anyone who doesn't like it let alone had problems.

A link would be best if you have one.

And I'm not here to discuss how anyone doesn't think people should do it. I'm looking for documented problems. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I'm also entertaining the thought when my new rear tire is all used up. There have been a number of folks who put the car tire on, then reverted to a MC tire, but it seems the majority of them love them. I don't recall ever seeing a thread where a darksider had a problem due to, or related to, the car tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Come to CT and I'll give it a shot. ;)
I just put my tires on myself last month.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop I had do mine, I told them I'd sign whatever to say it was on me. We settled for cash no paperwork.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
The shop that does mine does dozens of them every year for Wingers and a few other bikes. They don't even bat an eye at the tire or the dyna beeds.

He claims to have been doing it for years and never heard of any problems.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I've been running car tires for years ( since 2007 ), several on my wing and on a second one now on my Victory, no issues after a combined 120,000 miles , Go to the gl1800riders.com forum and scroll to the bottom and just start reading the Darkside tab , lots of info there.

here is a link to some info on tire sizes and members on the goldwing site, Im at 102,,, 1649 darkside members .. I run the same size tire as a Goldwing 195/55/16

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

DSC02316.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
while the idea STILL baffles me and defies logic, a lot of guys love running darkside and I've never heard of anyone having problems. They do offer a different handling characteristic than an MC tire, I guess it's not hard to adapt to.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you asked a tire engineer he would tell you that you had lost your mind.

Here's why. The construction of a car tire and a motorcycle tire are unique for the forces that each tire experiences in it's intended use . There is little that they share in common except the both have tread and hold air.

That said it's obvious that you can make a car tire work on a motorcycle if you have exactly the correct amount of air in it for the weight of the motorcycle while it is being used. Thousands of people are doing it. Hard to argue with that.

I have known of a person who had a hell of a wreck on a car tire but this was in 1976. At that time no one understood how to run them .
The car tire in question was a high profile (tall) radial that had so much sidewall that it was absolutely doomed to failure form the start. He also had way too little air in it. Also it was being used on a frame with worse than terrible rear suspension. But it was a spectacular wreck non the less. He did survive. Broke a few (bones) etc totaled the chopper.

Here is a tip when you go shopping for a radial car tire for your bike.
Motorcycles in general increased the wheel size in order to reduce the height of the sidewall when they went to radials to compensate for the difference in the function of a radial over a bias ply tire. I am not a darksider but I think that would be important. Best to defer to people who run the successfully though.

Thought about using one myself but in the area I live in we are constantly dodging deer. It would be foolish to put a tire on that I had any doubt in my mind about how it would react.
The tire might be fine but thinking about it in an emergency might be more of the issue.cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
a lot of guys love running darkside and I've never heard of anyone having problems. They do offer a different handling characteristic than an MC tire, I guess it's not hard to adapt to.
If you are a canyon-carver, a car tire is probably not your best bet. However, those of us who superslab on a regular basis or just tour along, it may be a viable option.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you are a canyon-carver, a car tire is probably not your best bet. However, those of us who superslab on a regular basis or just tour along, it may be a viable option.
But what happens when you are touring in the rain in a strange city at morning rush hour expressway traffic and suddenly you need to avoid the guy who is moving into the side of your bike because he never saw you and thought that your bike was a clear spot in the lane?
Aren't you a canyon carver at that moment?

We've had our share of those moments. But then if you have taken the time to learn how the bike will react before hand it might not be any issue at all. You can always take one back off. Just I would want to figure it out completely on a closed course somewhere. Even a huge parking lot, both in the rain and when it was dry out.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
while the idea STILL baffles me and defies logic, a lot of guys love running darkside and I've never heard of anyone having problems. They do offer a different handling characteristic than an MC tire, I guess it's not hard to adapt to.
It depends what you mean by a problem. I've read accounts of guys who like to ride sporty switch back. Not that the car tire couldn't be forced to do it, but that's just it. Where you can set a lean with a MC tire and go around a corner, you have to constantly fight the car tire from trying to stand up.

That isn't exclusive to car tires. Big fat MC tires suffer the same maladies. Hell, even normal sized tires with a big flat spot in the middle will handle similarly.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i have about 1500 miles on my car tire and i have to think about it to realize its a car tire. curves feel the same as before, stopping feels the same, weaving around feels the same, the only difference i notice anymore is going really slow and say coming to a stop sign, it helps hold me upright.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a new to Dark Side guy on a wing DS# 1622 I'll say I did 2 years of poking around on the DS forum on the 1800 sight and never saw any negative posts as far as something going bad. Plenty try it and go back. Its not for every one. And as it was pointed out, slab runners love em cause they last. I consider my self a fairly aggressive rider. Takes some time to shave the edge off but once they break in it's not bad. Plush ride on the wing. Handles rough roads like a dream, very sure footed, great rain tire. On a cruiser style bike ill bet its even easier to make the switch. On the tall wing at lo speeds it takes some getting used to. The advantage we have is we can pick up a spare rear wheel for chump change. I got brand new 12 rim with a brand new Bridge stone on it for 225 bucks. And on the wing I can change the wheel in 15 minutes. We just lay them over on the lawn on the rt side take off lugs and swap out the wheel. My RF Alpine was 170 delivered and 20 to mount at a local wheel shop. The wing guys go to walmart and tell them it's a trailer wheel, dont think they will buy it with a Vic rim. :rolleyes: Follow that link to the 1800 DS forum and get comfortable cause you have enough reading to keep you busy for a wile. If you go through more than one tire a season then it's worth looking in to. Guys that have the same tire on for 3 years, not so much. As far as safty is concerned that is the reason most are on them. It is considered to be "More safe" cause its more robust and at least in my case, run flat. Side note is if you go RF get a TPMS or you wont even know if your tire lost all air.

·
13,235 Posts
The CT is not that bad think how far and hard you go into corners.
Yes a CT you don't lean as far and maybe you don't go threw the curves as fast but you still have the same fun.
The hard part with a CT is some times the bike doesn't lean over on the kickstand as far as it should so yes you have to move to different spot.
To think you buy one car tire at $135 to one MC tire $269 then you buy another MC tire for more money and were still on the same CT.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
curves everywhere

you have to turn quite often + i can say the squarish early dunlop 250 on an 08 hammer i test rode was bad enough, when i tested my 13 hammer i was pleasantly surprised how much better the reportedly redesigned dunlop 250 was, i now have sportier pirelli night dragon tires + handling is SOOO good it loves to corner!! if all you do is ride straight may as well stay at home in your easy chair in front of the TV, just my feeling! using a very sticky high performance tire for a car would prolly be a good choice or an even softer snow tire, to each his own but it makes NO sense to me

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of an actual problem arising from using a car tire on their motorcycle? I have been reading about this for quite a while now and can't even find anyone who doesn't like it let alone had problems.

A link would be best if you have one.

And I'm not here to discuss how anyone doesn't think people should do it. I'm looking for documented problems. Thanks.
I wrote a pro and con for me on a vision in the vision thread a while after I went to the DS. I'm about 14k into my CT on the Vision, super slab all day as Broggy said and live the CT for that, run flat which did not give me a stiffer ride and the snow tire tread pattern did not give me any real noise but you asked documented problems. Yes, I do have 3...

1. My ABS does not like the CT and it appears the difference in size is playing tricks on the computer occasionally turning the light. Shop won't touch warranty due to CT installed. Didn't care for abs anyway.
2. CT is a bit harder rubber contributing to a little more tendency to break traction off the line, quick acceleration out of corner (Tokyo drift baby), and on damp or fresh laid asphalt. This is all mor than riding same roads on same bike previous year.
3. Hydro planing or just dealing with the width of the tire. Yea, never expected rain jacking with me. I ride year round rain and shine. Have two full sphincter factor 10s that the assend got squirrelly! Straight and narrow so learned to just lean it a little when on questionable highway. The only other problem was tire rutted streets on a secondary road. Primarily right at the stop sign/light. You learn to comp but it's still a lil,freaky.

Not my ride but trailer hitch on the vision could be a problem.

Closing, I was disappointed with this tires performance. Will be lucky to see 18k as the centerline is wearing out. Had 41 it's whole life and I think the problem is my mods. 100foot pounds torque at the wheel at 2000 rpm and the hard rubber coupled with my acceleration demonstrations I think has taken its toll on the CT. I went for low end torque on my mods and I will not deny that I hammer the piss out of it coming off the line quite regularly. No twistys so off the line is my adrenaline rush.

I'm not saying to do it or not. I like it but it has draw backs for me which may lead to a MC next tire if for no other reason but to try to keep up with friggin half crazy up in MD. That's one twisty ridin kingpin rider..lol

Hope this gives some insight.

Safe ridin
Tim

1 - 20 of 44 Posts