Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Echo just pretend you never read that... You cannot put car tires on a motorcycle, especially a beautiful white XC with a killer stereo!!! Lol sorry boys I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm confused. I've been riding for awhile now and have never seen/heard about this? What are the benefits of doing something like this?

·
13,188 Posts
Echo
running a car tire is about money I guess. CT coast $125 MC tire is $230. The MC tire you get around at best 15 thousand out of it for mileage the CT you get 25 thousand and some.
Down side you can't lean over as far in curves on twisty roads maybe that's not all bad and it takes about 15% more effort in cloverleaf's and some corners.
Lot of guys say were nuts for doing it and have all kinds of reasons why we shouldn't. I don't think they really care they just don't like the idea of us paying less for our tire.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Echo
running a car tire is about money I guess. CT coast $125 MC tire is $230. The MC tire you get around at best 15 thousand out of it for mileage the CT you get 25 thousand and some.
Down side you can't lean over as far in curves on twisty roads maybe that's not all bad and it takes about 15% more effort in cloverleaf's and some corners.
Lot of guys say were nuts for doing it and have all kinds of reasons why we shouldn't. I don't think they really care they just don't like the idea of us paying less for our tire.
Interesting. A little more work riding but you save money... Not sure how I feel about that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I rode a CT on my old '00 Suzuki Intruder 1500. I handled ok but not as well as a MC tire. Yes, you get a hoot-load more miles out of them. I could drag the floorboard in turns while riding double and never lost traction.
My biggest concern was that if hit any imperfections like rocks or a branch that only half the tire went over, the bike would want to fling itself to the opposite side. Deep road ruts in pavement had a similar effect. With the Suzi being so low to the ground I was able to save it all but once. I now have a CCT which is much heavier and taller. I'm not going to chance it on this bike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to get that feedback. Thanks

I rode a CT on my old '00 Suzuki Intruder 1500. I handled ok but not as well as a MC tire. Yes, you get a hoot-load more miles out of them. I could drag the floorboard in turns while riding double and never lost traction.
My biggest concern was that if hit any imperfections like rocks or a branch that only half the tire went over, the bike would want to fling itself to the opposite side. Deep road ruts in pavement had a similar effect. With the Suzi being so low to the ground I was able to save it all but once. I now have a CCT which is much heavier and taller. I'm not going to chance it on this bike

·
Registered
372 Posts
Echo
Not my experience with darkside. I ran one on my VTX for 36K miles. That was one tire. And at anything above 5mph I cannot really tell a difference in handling. It seems slightly to want to keep the bike more upright, but I certainly carved my share of mountain twisties with it, faster than anyone else riding in my group on normal cycle tires. It doesn't take more effort to lean it over or turn, it just pushes you back upright quicker. At slow speeds it was noticeable. I didn't like how it pushed me around on uneven pavement at slow speeds. But I sure liked not having to spend $220 a year on new tires.

Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Echo
I'm not sure what Johnny means by can't lean over as far I still scrape my boards.cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is darkside????
Echo check out the mcdarksiders site. I'm running a Run Flat on mine and I can only say I will not go back to a MC tire. That's a personal choice.cheers

·
Registered
347 Posts
Interesting. A little more work riding but you save money... Not sure how I feel about that.
Bigger contact patch usually equates to better straight-line traction and rear-wheel braking too..

Gonna be trying it at least, now that I have a decent tire changing setup...

Many shops don't want the liability of putting a CT on a MC as you could conceivably stand up in a court of law after dropping your bike in a corner and say "I didn't know that tire wasn't designed for the bike" ..

But.. Like I have always said.. Can't pretend to be stupid to win an argument.. What's the best you can hope for?? People will actually believe that you're stupid.. :rolleyes: .. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
I know how I feel. I feel good! I saved about $1000 over those 36K miles I put on the car tire. My VTX ate rear tires about every 8000 miles, which was annually for me.

Now that I have a Cross Country that seems to be better on tires (less power and not so conducive to twisting the throttle for grins, maybe?) and they have come out with the Dunlop multi-tread compound tires that can get 16-18K miles on them I don't think I'd go back to the darkside. It was good for the situation I had, but I just never liked the look on my VTX. On the XC I suppose it would be hidden by the fender? I'm putting a new Dunlop MT on this spring on the XC so we'll see how that lasts before deciding.

Rob

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I changed to a different horn...
I changed to a different windshield...
I changed to a different oil...
I will try a different seat...
I will try a car tire...
Not to save a buck, but to see if I like it better.
If I do, it will stay, if I don't, it will go, just like everything else on the bike.
That is all I have to say.

·
13,188 Posts
Yes in sharp twisty curve roads you don't lean over as far as you can on a MC tire. But how many times have you leaned over to far. I still scrap my floor boards an kind a chuckle inside.
I run 40 psi and yes the roads that have heavy truck traffic that put ruts in the road the tire will follow the ruts. In no time you learn to relax and the tire is doing fine again. I feel pot holes less I stop quicker. As for the rain the CT runs and works great. In the back of your mind you tense up for maybe a mile and then your think more about the rain. Never have lost traction or gone sideways in the rain cause of the tire.
There is a guy here name is Rollin who does iron but rides. His vision has a CT on it and he has been to pikes peak The most northern point in Alaska. He has ridden on every kind of road there is and some I wouldn't even call a road. He has never reported a problem with the CT.
Yes CT are not for every one and you never can put one on a white bike with noise defaming stereo. :ltr:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts