Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been running a 195/55/16 on the rear of my 2013 XCT for years. My most recent choice is the dunlop winter sport RF 195/55/16. I had a BTX-45 on frt but always had that funny in a lean feeling. like back and fourth feeling like the rear trying to find the line so it could (if this is a word) Gyroscopicly drop in and go.. it wasnt bad like make me go back to MC tire but just not perfect. I saw that KevinX did a big 160 in frt. I love the look and all so I called KevinX and talked to him shortly about peformance. I went to the 160 per KevinX who claimed when asked how did it handle? Kevin said quote "it feels planted" WOW was he right. I remember the way it handled in the begging. I remember how my KP handled as well. whats Victoys saying."If you ride one you will buy one" I got it back. It feels just like it did stock. I **** you not. Its on a rail. it dives in and willing comes out of a corner as sweet as it did with factory rubber. absolutely no way I can tell in a curve or any other situation it has any thing different that stock rubber on it. Except I have no tar snake wobble no groove catching attributes and etc. My bike now rides and performs as solid as it ever did. I am so incredibly happy with this outcome.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Is that a rear tire?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a BTX-45 on frt but always had that funny in a lean feeling. like back and fourth feeling like the rear trying to find the line so it could (if this is a word) Gyroscopicly drop in and go.. it wasnt bad like make me go back to MC tire but just not perfect.
Are you talking about a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 rear on the front?

If so, that's not a photo of it in your set of photos, (looks more like an Avon Cobra) but I totally agree with you about it's handling characteristics being a bad choice!
I've been a darkside and at times double darksider since 2011. I tried one once on my 1500 wing and it was a terrible tire for up front!!

Did you have to mod your front fender for clearance of the new one?

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Yup i love tbe 160 on front, i went
From
90/90-21
To
160/60-18

IMG20170406163124-1248x1664.jpg IMG20170406163207-1664x1248.jpg

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I’ve had a 160/60 Dunlop Roadsmart II MT rear tire mounted (backwards) on the front of my CCT for over 32K miles now. It’s almost to the wear bars so I’ll replace it with another Roadsmart soon. I just started using a Dunlop Winter Sport 3D runflat car tire in the back. So far, (600 miles) I love it and don’t see myself going back to a motorcycle tire out back.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Its on a rail. it dives in and willing comes out of a corner as sweet as it did with factory rubber. absolutely no way I can tell in a curve or any other situation it has any thing different that stock rubber on it.
I rode Keith's Vision with a car tire out back and a 160 up front... it steered like a fucking dump truck, followed every rut/groove in the road, and there was a certain lean angle where it wanted to either lean more or lean less... like teetering on an edge (felt like when a tire is worn flat across the center from too much straight line riding).

All I could think was, "Why would anyone want to **** up a perfectly good motorcycle like this?".

This is strictly my observation and opinion. Not trying to start a war.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I alternated between various CT’s and mts on the rear. I won’t do CT’s anymore. At low speed and an uneven surface they are brutal. If you aren’t paying attention it can mess you up.
In cornering, the bike will need to lean further to maintain a curve. I know this seems backwards, but it isn’t. In a lean, the contact point will be much closer to the inside than with a mt. You will need to lean further to compensate. The result is you will scrape more.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
What exact tires are you guys running on the front that are 160's?
Rear tire Metzler 160/60-18 but maybe next time i go for a 150

It is a [email protected]/' to fit the 160

Smile

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I rode Keith's Vision with a car tire out back and a 160 up front... it steered like a fucking dump truck, followed every rut/groove in the road, and there was a certain lean angle where it wanted to either lean more or lean less... like teetering on an edge (felt like when a tire is worn flat across the center from too much straight line riding).

All I could think was, "Why would anyone want to **** up a perfectly good motorcycle like this?".

I actually agree, yes i have a 160 up front and originally it was a 90

You just have to ride / trow it harder into the corners

So my personal verdict is also a 90/9.-21 upfront rides smoother then a 160/60-18 upfront ... but who cares, i can always put a 140 as original was intended ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
Thanks Andre. I was considering this on my next front tire change. I'm a double darksider now so it wouldn't be a big change that way. I think I'll stick with the Battlax B-45 I'm currently running. It handles well and I get great mileage out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Its on a rail. it dives in and willing comes out of a corner as sweet as it did with factory rubber. absolutely no way I can tell in a curve or any other situation it has any thing different that stock rubber on it.

Would that be a dump truck with an air ride suspension and radial tires or a dump truck with coil over suspension and bias ply tires?

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I always enjoy reading your posts HC.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Thanks for the reply, welcome back :)

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you talking about a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 rear on the front?

If so, that's not a photo of it in your set of photos, (looks more like an Avon Cobra) but I totally agree with you about it's handling characteristics being a bad choice!
I've been a darkside and at times double darksider since 2011. I tried one once on my 1500 wing and it was a terrible tire for up front!!

Did you have to mod your front fender for clearance of the new one?

Dusty
Hello Dusty sorry been away. the pic was for reference in size it wasnt mine. . the full bike pic is the new 160. The frt fender has zero clearance issues ..

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I have another 160/60 Dunlop Roadsmart II MT coming in next week. It will be mounted up front by the start of next month. I now have over 33K on my first one with zero complaints. I run 39psi in it..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts