Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install my 3rd CT. My first was 175/60/16 Dunlop runflat Winter Sport and the 2nd was 195/55/16 Michelin Primacy Alpin.

I liked the Dunlap much better but it looks like neither are available any longer.

I've been searching for a while now and I'm not seeing any repeated recommendations. I think the smaller tire worked better and the bike sat on the kick stand better. The 195 seems to really make the bike lean on the stand.

So what's the hot setup right now?
Help please,
Bob

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I just replaced my Yoko Envigor , got 16,000 miles out of it. I also wanted to try the new Dunlap E4 so I had them put on yesterday, only time will tell if they are any good.

·
13,262 Posts
I use dunlop peraza 195/65/18 got 22K out of last one. According to a tracker app I was 2 miles a hour slower then what speedo said.
If your on FB look up Steve Rolland and send him a message. He just put a new CT on his bike and I don't remember what it was. He is the best for CT information

Attachments

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm getting ready to install my 3rd CT. My first was 175/60/16 Dunlop runflat Winter Sport and the 2nd was 195/55/16 Michelin Primacy Alpin.

I liked the Dunlap much better but it looks like neither are available any longer.

I've been searching for a while now and I'm not seeing any repeated recommendations. I think the smaller tire worked better and the bike sat on the kick stand better. The 195 seems to really make the bike lean on the stand.

So what's the hot setup right now?
Help please,
Bob
195/55R-16 General or Bridgestone Run Flat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone have pictures of worn darkside tires before removing them from the rim?

Really curious to see the wear pattern on the worn tire before making this change.

Thanks

·
13,262 Posts
Anyone have pictures of worn darkside tires before removing them from the rim?

Really curious to see the wear pattern on the worn tire before making this change.

Thanks
guess you didn't look at my tire above. I run 40psi and check it once a month.
It still on rim with air in it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Already done, that MiNi looks awesome

Attachments

·
13,262 Posts
Sorry I thought that was a new tire you just put on. That doesn't look worn down at all to replace.
22 thousand on it. Right at the wear bars.

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
Probably run any of these run flats in the 195 width and be just fine but like you I like the 175 width. Unfortunately when I bought my newest CT last year; they no longer carried a 175 in the run flat design which I really like having.

Using Cookies

I went with the Bridgestone Driveguard which has worked out well so far. It's the same height as the 60 and is only about 3/4" wider or 3/8" per side. I remember trying to put the tire into the wheel well off the rim and was concerned about it not fitting but once mounted; it went in just fine. I would not go any wider though.

Bridgestone*DriveGuard

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Running a car tire (backwards) on the back
While certainly motorcycle tires have an intended direction of rotation, I don't think most car tires have this. My understanding is that darkside is simply running a car tire on the back wheel of a motorcycle. In the event that a car tire has an intended direction of rotation, this direction would be maintained on the back wheel of the motorcycle.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: MC Hammer

·
Registered
193 Posts
While certainly motorcycle tires have an intended direction of rotation, I don't think most car tires have this. My understanding is that darkside is simply running a car tire on the back wheel of a motorcycle. In the event that a car tire has an intended direction of rotation, this direction would be maintained on the back wheel of the motorcycle.

G'day,

Vinish
If that is the case, thank you for the correction. I thought I had heard others say that it is recommended that they be run backward. I don't remember the reasoning behind it.

Thanks Vinish!

·
Registered
539 Posts
If that is the case, thank you for the correction. I thought I had heard others say that it is recommended that they be run backward. I don't remember the reasoning behind it./QUOTE]

i think that is for the double darksiders, where they run a rear motorcycle tire up front and the car tire in the rear. i am not quite clear on the reason why the rear tire is backwards either, but i think there is a rather length darkside thread on here somewhere with a lot of info in it.

·
13,262 Posts
Cause the way the rear MC tire is made. Its made a special way and the groves in the tire. So when you run it up front you run it backwards so the tire doesn't come apart on you.

Running the CT on the back of the bike you run it with arrow going forward.
Why a CT on the back is cause you get around 20 k out if it and it only coast around $125 yes were cheap

·
Registered
539 Posts
Cause the way the rear MC tire is made. Its made a special way and the groves in the tire. So when you run it up front you run it backwards so the tire doesn't come apart on you.

i totally get the cost part of it... yeah spending as much, if not more, for two tires for my bike than 4 for my car, yup, can totally understand the money aspect of..

the running backwards is what i don't quite get. admittedly, i am an electrical guy by trade so i'm sure there is more to it, but don't the wheels still spin in the same direction? i mean, if you are looking at the bike from the clutch side, the bike rolling forward, both tires still more counter-clockwise. and the siping is cut to support that, right?

not asking to be a dick, just really trying to understand and be educated on it so if and when i go darkside i will understand the how's and why's because it seems counterintuitive when any motorcycle tire i have had on my bikes has a rotational arrow and this is run completely the opposite.

Reactions: abe5
1 - 20 of 26 Posts