Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 XC - 25,000 miles.....Ok here is what I have going on. I've been getting the bike ready for the season, going through the normal maintenance and such (I'm in Maine - bike season doesn't really kick off until June).

Anyway I took it for a short ride yesterday and noticed that the left blinker indicator was on. Then the cruise indicator started flashing. Blinkers and all lights still worked. So I went to an XC page on Facebook and someone suggested to check the battery connections. I hadn't gotten there yet so, I dug in and found that they were a little bit loose. I tightened them up, used lock tight and started the bike. Everything appeared normal. Problem solved...so I thought.

So...this morning I'm bringing the bike to work, and a few miles down the road the light comes back on. Then my radio display starts flashing and scrolling through my iPod play list all on it own. The radio continued to work fine. Shut the bike off, and then started back up and all appears normal again.

The bike did get stuck in a heavy rain storm Saturday, but it's been dry since.

I was planning on riding the bike to a Dr. Appt. an hour away this afternoon (supposed to reach 60!!!), but wondering if I should.

Anyway...thoughts????? THANKS in advance!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get into fairing and check all connections - mostly main harness! They can come loose ( not fully clicked in). You may have to cut some of the factory tye wraps as when you check full lock left to full lock right the harness may be under stress and cause the connector to come partially disconnected! Been there, done that!

·
Registered
891 Posts
What rewind said...

And when you get them apart look for corrosion or residue that shouldn't be there. Dielectric grease before putting them back together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it's off to the shop for me. I took fairing off, checked every connection and every wire that I could find from the wheel to wheel. I couldn't find anything. Once I got it back to together it's a WHOLE lot worse. The radio completely has a mind of its own. Switch from bands, and stations, and AUX, volume going up and down all on its own......... I hope this doesn't cost me a fortune. A group I ride with has a week long trip to Gettysburg next month.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...after checking everything off to the dealership it went. By the time it got there everything on the dash quit working, but the radio worked fine. They called Victory and ran a bunch of tests. Apparently the instrument cluster is fried. Anyway ever heard of this happening??

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well...after checking everything off to the dealership it went. By the time it got there everything on the dash quit working, but the radio worked fine. They called Victory and ran a bunch of tests. Apparently the instrument cluster is fried. Anyway ever heard of this happening??
Nope.

Sorry for your expense, but thanks for posting the outcome. Something to keep in mind if symptoms like that start showing up.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I have a cluster if your interested. cheap. Off a 2012

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Yes I do. Just let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
My radio display went dark and my speed display half dark - but now it's "healed". Perplexing.

Is that what a cluster controls? btw how did you end up with two? :)
I collect things

1 - 13 of 13 Posts