Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of looking at the visor with nothing on it and serving no purpose, so last year I had "Ol Vic" painted on it by a pinstriper. But I when I did that...I also bought another visor (they're cheap)...and had ideas for it.

Here's what I came up with...these are pins (that I always seem to lose on my jacket...and I thought why not put them on the dash.

I kinda like it...I'll add more later this year...but the two on the right side FRONT are significant in that the "B" is from my Mom's waitress Uniform when we owned a cafe (she died last April)...and the "Buy American" pin underneath is my Dad's pin from Fisher Body (Flint, MI) and he wore this on his work shirts. I also have his round UAW pin on here.

On the front of the dash is an Eagle I have mounted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
That's a nice personal touch thumb up

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...it's easy enough to change out to the plain one too.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Nice Idea! Hog tunes should develop a tweeter speaker set up to fit right over the visor like they developed for HD. The possibilities are endless. thumb up

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mounted my Zumo 665 there. Easy to see without taking your eyes off the road. keep the bars clear.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's see a picture of that Squatch..

By the way, I saw in today's news where some dude says he shot and killed a squatch in Texas (a year ago)...and has the PROOF and the BODY.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very cool Squatch!!! I like that location.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Neat GPS mount idea, Squatch. Any details of how you did it, what was needed for mounting brackets, etc? I was planning on using a RAM mount on my handlebar but this would be slick, especially if all that sticks out of the dash when the GPS cradle is removed is a RAM ball and power cord.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
848 Posts
Neat GPS mount idea, Squatch. Any details of how you did it, what was needed for mounting brackets, etc? I was planning on using a RAM mount on my handlebar but this would be slick, especially if all that sticks out of the dash when the GPS cradle is removed is a RAM ball and power cord.

Thanks,
Rob
Started out with a ram mount. nope will not work as the unit will bounce all over the place and the dash panel will vibrate something awful.

Kuryakyn, has a windshield mount for HD. This comes with a metal frame mount. discard the metal frame. Keep the ball mount and associated hardware.

Now for the real trick. I used a piece of block aluminum, shaped it to the inside of the dashboard drilled and taped the aluminum to fit the Kury mount. Mounted the Aluminum block to the inside of the dash panel by screwing it down. and using some contact cement to attach the dash board.

next with some thread sealer assemble the mount to the dash, mount the GPS.

I ran the GPS integration harness thru the dash to the connection inside the batwing.

This all took my about 4 hours to do and I have a very solid GPS mount.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Aluminum block was purchased from Mc Master Carr.

Mount came from Kuryakyn, HD windshield frame GPS mount.

Drill and matching tap

Contact cement

less labor cost about $20.00.

You need to take the time to fit the aluminum block to the dashboard, if you just mount it to the Dashboard it will produce a awful vibration.

Another bit, use some VHT tape ( double sided tape for automotive emblems) use this on the bottom on the Garmin mount where it contacts the fairing dash.

Shaped the aluminum block with a file and a belt sander.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Squatch,

Thanks for the details and description. So basically it seems like you reinforced the lightweight plastic dash panel with a heavy, solid block of aluminum to use as a base and then attached a suitable GPS mount to the block?

I didn't understand completely from the picture links you sent, but I think what you're getting at is that if you use the aluminum backer block for stability you can attach a mount to it. Could that be something like this (just for example)?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I knew there was something special about you Wally. You were a Navy Corpsman. Me too.cheers

I like what you did with the dash. It is a perfect spot to personalize the XC is some way or another. I did something a little different. I choose an analog temp gauge and clock. The button in the middle is for the garage door.

An older pic when I had the +2" bars and a couple of small bags mounted between them for little stuff.

This pic is from when I was mounting the first version of the Madstad brackets. The eagle was given to me by a friend who later died under dubious circumstances so it's my way of taking him on road trips to this day.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Squatch,

Thanks for the details and description. So basically it seems like you reinforced the lightweight plastic dash panel with a heavy, solid block of aluminum to use as a base and then attached a suitable GPS mount to the block?

I didn't understand completely from the picture links you sent, but I think what you're getting at is that if you use the aluminum backer block for stability you can attach a mount to it. Could that be something like this (just for example)?

Thanks,
Rob
The dash panel is light weight and not very rigid. Mounting the GPS to it with out a stable backing will drive you nutz. The light weight aluminum block about 1x1x1 was shaped to fit inside the dash and used as a foundation to moun tthe "ball & socket mount o. Had to drill a small hole in the dash panel to thread the screw thru.

The Ram mount you have, I used a simular one will moutn the GPS too far from the dash and it will wobble about liek crazy. I can't see using it as a backer plate.

Picture my chunk of aluminum as a shapped triangle block, flat side down screwed in place. This way the GPS as mounted will not vibrate nor will the dash panel.

The links above show a screw with a ball socket and plate attached. Short in length, this allows the Zumo 660/665 cradle to sit on the dash (top of the fairing) to support the weight of the GPS head. I will take a couple of more pictues tonight if it helps. The Kury mount works and it is cheap. Beast mount for a GPS I ever had.

Cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
I use Kury Part #1675

·
Registered
372 Posts
I meant to (as an example) use the RAM part I pictured as the piece on top of the dash and the aluminum block behind it as support. I wouldn't do it exactly that way, for looks or fit reasons, but I just wanted to confirm that I understood what you did.

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts