Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nowadays with electronics getting smaller and less expensive I elected to install a dash cam in my personal truck prior to leaving for Arizona for the winter. Once I got down here I got to thinking that it might work on the bike too. I bought this thing (Pilot) at China-Mart prior to leaving and it seems to work good in the truck so why not?? By the way, total investment was just under $42 including tax, not the best dashcam on the market but how bad can ya get hurt for $40? That and it came with a handlebar mount for motorcycles or bicycles.

https://youtu.be/nId9XL8OH5c

Keep in mind this thing isn't intended to be used as a GoPro and glued to your noggin, it's simply there to protect me when somebody says "Hey he ran that light and hit me" or they claim to have used a signal etc. The 4GB micro SD card will record up to around 24 minutes of 1080HD and it also has a G meter on it that will lock recordings so they can't be over written by the camera should the G limit be exceeded, i.e. when somebody turns left in front of you and wipes you out.

It records in up to 3 minute loops and can remain on constantly or you can set it to detect motion and activate. The down side is that it probably ain't water proof let alone water resistant but on the other hand I'm in Arizona for the winter so the likelihood of getting a frog floater in the near future is probably minimal.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I bought a cheapie dashcam for my car for the same reason, just so I can have some proof. Of course, in my case, it'll probably incriminate me lol

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Nowadays with electronics getting smaller and less expensive I elected to install a dash cam in my personal truck prior to leaving for Arizona for the winter. Once I got down here I got to thinking that it might work on the bike too. I bought this thing (Pilot) at China-Mart prior to leaving and it seems to work good in the truck so why not?? By the way, total investment was just under $42 including tax, not the best dashcam on the market but how bad can ya get hurt for $40? That and it came with a handlebar mount for motorcycles or bicycles.

https://youtu.be/nId9XL8OH5c

Keep in mind this thing isn't intended to be used as a GoPro and glued to your noggin, it's simply there to protect me when somebody says "Hey he ran that light and hit me" or they claim to have used a signal etc. The 4GB micro SD card will record up to around 24 minutes of 1080HD and it also has a G meter on it that will lock recordings so they can't be over written by the camera should the G limit be exceeded, i.e. when somebody turns left in front of you and wipes you out.

It records in up to 3 minute loops and can remain on constantly or you can set it to detect motion and activate. The down side is that it probably ain't water proof let alone water resistant but on the other hand I'm in Arizona for the winter so the likelihood of getting a frog floater in the near future is probably minimal.

1) Pics, please? Mount, power method, etc.?

2) You plan on removing it during lunch stops, going into the mall, and so forth?

3) Did I see that right: you already have FOUR other bikes in that garage?

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mounting is on the left crash bar, as you can see in the video the wind deflector on the fork does block maybe 15% of the image. I couldn't find any other spot to mount it without drilling holes in the fairing and that ain't gonna happen. The power source is the power point on the left side of the fairing and I just wire tied the power cord down to the crash bar and handlebar to keep it from flapping around.

As far as removing it, I don't but it takes just a few seconds to pull it off if I want to (it's a ball mount). Where I live in Wyoming and where I'm hiding down here is pretty mellow as far as street crime so I don't sweat somebody walking off with too much. Besides, the thing blends into the bike so much it's kinda hard to spot. I've had numerous folks walk around the bike and to my knowledge nobody has even noticed it. If it was mounted to the other crash bar it would probably be more noticeable.

The bikes in the garage...

The GS Beemer belongs to a friend who followed me down here. The HD belongs to a neighbor who watches the house when I'm away.
The chopper on the other hand belongs to me. It's the stroker motor out of my old Electra-Glide that I retired in 2006. Rigid frame, 460 pounds and 115hp out of an 89 cubic inch stroker, you don't need big inches to make big horsepower.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks much for the info. Useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts