Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am truly in dis belief that she got scammed. Her and her friends were even talking about this I guess the day before just not this scenario.
Guy calls her up posing as a police officer telling her she has a warrant out for her arrest and that she can take care of it on the phone as far as paying for it. He got $1,990.00 from her and kept her on the phone for like 4hrs working it all out so it was an actual cash transaction. She went to her bank and the best they could do was wave some fee's that were incurred for the transaction. She said she never expected them to act like they were the police.
I just cannot believe she fell for this. I am in awe.

·
Registered
348 Posts
These people who pray on the innocent should be tied up and lashed. I have no patience for those kind of scum.

I used to play along for a bit and have some fun with them when I would get those calls. I would make up a fake credit card number and all LOL but Ive gotten tired and I just hang up.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This same thing happened to my daughter , only it was a guy saying he was from the IRS , she fell for it hook line and sinker for 2,500.00 .

If I could put my hands around the guys neck , it would take the jaws of life to get me off of him ....

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
My grandfather almost fell for that police scam, they were going to send a taxi out for him to get the money and then send it to them, these scammers were out of Canada and said they had arrested my cousin and aunt at the border and wanted $8,000 for bail funds, just so happened that it was on a day that I had off or who knows what he would have done.

The IRS one, I don't know about you, but all the IRS agents I have ever talked to are american, if and when you have to deal with that agency you always seem to get a letter more then a phone call.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
These things, if for real, are always dealt with through to mail. The IRS will send 2 notifications via mail.
Like Tony.v, I like to jerk their chains and play along, wasting their time. I especially like doing that to those asshats that claim they are calling from Microsoft. I take them right up to when they ask, "what do you see on your screen?" Then I tell them, "It sez you are a MFer," or something worse. Click.
When I get a robo call, I'll answer in a hushed tone, "It's done, but what do I do with the body and there's blood all over the place."

·
Registered
348 Posts
99.999 % of the time the IRS will NOT contact you by phone , only by mail .... Food for thought everyone .
Thats actually the case with almost all government and law enforcement agencies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have caller ID at home, if we don't recognize the number we don't answer. I/we let it go to answering machine (or on cell phone, voice mail) almost always there is no message left. If message is left we decide if it is anyone we want or need to call back. Pretty much eliminates phone scams.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The IRS will notify you by mail.

The FBI, US Marshals, State Police, Sheriffs and Local police will come see you in person.
Yep, we aim to please so we make house calls. We even provide transportation for you and help you take care of your legal troubles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I got home from work one day and my wife thought she won the Publishers Clearing House prize money. The call was pretty legitimate except they don't EVER call anybody. The guy had a name and employee number that went back to an employee at the company, he had a call back number routed to him and a bunch of info. I waited for him to call back and I started questioning him until he hung up. He was in Puerto Rico. Scum bags.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Unfortunately most people will do whatever is required of them when the request comes from a person they feel has authority over them.
Something to be aware of.

·
Registered
483 Posts
One that is becoming more common is for a person to get a call that their family member hit the callers car so the family member has been taken. If the caller is not given the said amount of money they claim beatings and even death to the captured family member.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A neighbor of mine said he signed up for something like a loan or a grant and you give them some info and they can look and see what you will be available for. He said he got 150K. I'm giving it a few weeks and then ask if he ever REALLY got the money or find out how much they got from him.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
That is just messed up! Karma is a mudder fusker! As for the IRS...get it all the time...even the we will raise your credit card limit scam....what is your card number sir.....sick of these bastards!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Until I get you into my phone, I just plain don't answer. If it's legit and important, you'll leave a message and I'll call back right away. But, at least the wife and I know that no one from government or L E on offical business ever uses the phone.

And there's one simple rule. NO info given on the phone or email. I even have one special card for online hotels, air fare, purchases, etc. Limited credit limit and very easy to track. Actually having that card saved me from a bank scam. Because of my many year habit of doing business that way, I could keep the bank from paying off on a fraudulent debit card on line event.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts