Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to modify the parts inside of the headlight bucket to except and properly hold the DayMaker headlight. Pics will follow but here's what I did.... The first thing I noticed was that the headlight bucket has a plastic cage inside. You will need to keep that as it forms a ring on the outer perimeter of the inside of the bucket that gives the rubber isolators gasket something to back up to. I used my Dremel and cut away the cage portion from the outer ring and used an X-Acto knife to remove burrs and melted plastic. Next I took the rubber isolator ring and modified it with an X-Acto knife. I cut the indent white enough to except the outer lip of the DayMaker. I also removed all of the rubber fingers as well. From there it was a simple reinstallation of the plastic ring from the inner cage in the isolator ring onto the headlight, plug it in, inserted properly, and install the chrome trim ring. All in all I would say I spent 20 to 30 minutes modifying the parts. I also purchased a new rubber ring from victory for $26 and found someone that is giving me a new plastic cage. This way, if there is ever a problem with my Daymaker, I can go back to stock in a matter of minutes and not lose any riding time. Results may vary and I do not take responsibility should you try this but I am very happy with the results and it looks OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cut the plastic cage

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Modify the rubber isolator ring. Remove the triangular fingers and widen the groove for the lip of the lamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reinstall the plastic ring, put the isolator on the lamp, and put it together.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Show off that light!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am the kind of person that normally does not try to modify anything because it usually blows up in my face and I end up with a bike that's down for a week or more but this is very simple and easy even for me to do. If you have any questions about things I did not post pictures of please feel free to ask and I'll answer them. I did take more pictures but I ran out of time and could not post all of them because you have to post one for reply and I'm using my cell phone.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I am the kind of person that normally does not try to modify anything because it usually blows up in my face and I end up with a bike that's down for a week or more but this is very simple and easy even for me to do. If you have any questions about things I did not post pictures of please feel free to ask and I'll answer them. I did take more pictures but I ran out of time and could not post all of them because you have to post one for reply and I'm using my cell phone.
How is the aiming of the low beam compared to the high beam?
Did they get that correct when they made the lamp? I have read that some of the aftermarket LED replacement lights have issues where when the High beam is correct the low beam is useless it points too far down. I take it this brand does not have that issue?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eagle Lights is from Norwalk CT. So little more than an hour from me. They respond to communication super fast. We'll see if there are any issues.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Eagle Lights is from Norwalk CT. So little more than an hour from me. They respond to communication super fast. We'll see if there are any issues.
Hopefully all will be good. Looking forward to the results of the night time road test.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very nice. I put an LED bulb in my Gunner light bucket. I had to do some modifications but it worked. This looks much better. May think about this in the future. It seems when ever you get involved in the headlight bucket there will be issues, very tight in there.

Thanks for the update

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it's a characteristic of this style of lamp- the OEM low beam and this one should hit the ground at the same spot but this has a definite cut off or horizon line like a car's projector headlamp does. However this lights up the sides amazingly well and the brightness is outstanding whereas the OEM is very diffused on the sides and is obviously not as bright. I'll try to get pics tonite. If I find that the cutoff is too low I'll just loosen and tilt the headlamp a degree or two. Should not be enough to fail inspection or piss off too many people.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to raise the headlamp a little- 8mm Allen bolt under the bucket on the triple tree. The light output is fantastic and it is very wide. Also shines directly down onto the fender and either side of the tire. Even raising it up I passed a couple hundred cars tonite and not one flashed me. Highly recommended mod. Ice I get the parts to reinstall the OEM lamp, I'll do a before and after for you to see.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's the low and high beam. I don't have pics of the original to compare with.

Nice and bright, and they go out East and West nicely too!

Bike is about 15-20' from the door and on the sidestand....

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think these would look awesome on the gunner.
You'd need to change buckets as we've got the round one.

As for how much room it takes up... You have to modify the headlamp bucket internals. Modify the plastic cage and the rubber seal.

I have a write up around here....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm getting it. Does the day maker take up more space than the stock one in the housing?
In actuality, I believe it does not protrude as far back as the OEM setup, however, it gets wider much faster so it requires removal of that plastic cage- it cannot fit into that tapered cage. So it's wider and shallower where the OEM is skinnier but deeper. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm getting it. Does the day maker take up more space than the stock one in the housing?
In actuality, I believe it does not protrude as far back as the OEM setup, however, it gets wider much faster so it requires removal of that plastic cage- it cannot fit into that tapered cage. So it's wider and shallower where the OEM is skinnier but deeper. I hope that makes sense.
Good, I'm worried about how much room I have in there because I had to put my grip heater wiring and connections in there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts