Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Cross Country Tour that I got in April. 2 weeks ago when I went to start it up, it just clicked like the battery was dead. So I bought a new battery and that was it. I was back up and running.

Today, I went on a ride to my daughter's birthday party. It was a 70 mile ride. Got there no problem. It sat in the driveway for an hour, took my son out for a short ride, came back and it sat there for another half hour to 45 minutes. Came out to start it and nothing happened. No clicking, no lights on the dash, nothing.

2 week old battery was dead. I should note that I have a coolstream duo for Bluetooth that I left plugged in the whole time. But, that shouldn't be the cause of draining the battery, should it?!

The battery bought was AutoCraft Powersports Battery, Group Size BTX20HL-BS, 310 CCA from advanced Auto parts.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
Some batteries can fail quickly, only way to know is take it to be tested after fully charged. Hit it with a 100 amp load test at auto parts store.

Also read up on the 40amp breaker, yours might be acting up if the battery tests good.

Reactions: lord_bedsheets

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Also be sure to check that your battery connections are tight, with lock washers at the terminals.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You've given no basic electrical information past replacing the battery so I will assume your electrical knowledge on the bike is zip. Get the battery tested/charged/replaced as needed so we know there's a solid starting point.

This is a new bike to you. Do you have contact with the previous owner to find out if he had a similar problem or if there is some option that needs to be turned off when the bike is not in use? Again, this is a new bike. Are you positive that when you stopped you turned the key off and didn't just hit the kill switch? It happens.

Do you have a good multimeter and know how to use it? Lots of people don't so just checking because without it anything from here onward is going to be just guessing. Also, are you familiar with the operating basics of the bike's power?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Probably a battery terminal was lose and it shook its way off completely.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Check your terminals as others have said, I've got a cool stream and it doesn't get any power unless the key is on. Were you seeing over 14 volts on the voltage gauge with the motor running? Did you see any voltage with the key on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. So I always take the key out when I park it even in the garage. I'm afraid if I leave the keys in at home, I'll do it out in public some time out of habit. So there is that.

I double checked the connections and they are solid. I put the tender on it yesterday and it said it was fully charged. For S&Gs I unplugged the cool stream as well.

Anyways, so as I'm typing this I'm chillin in a parking lot waiting for my buddy to come jump me again. Fml.

So, once I get up and running in going to take the battery back to advanced Auto parts and get it tested... At this point I think that's my only other option... But as someone mentioned, I have zero knowledge on electrical stuff.

Thanks again for all the help! We'll see how this turns out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright so the battery tested fine at advanced Auto parts last night. Came home and didn't do anything with it. Was too frustrated. Checked all the wiring. The ground connection that was attached to the frame wasn't the most secure. It wasn't exactly dangling loosely either. I took that off, and reattached it fairly firm. Put the battery back in, ensured it was tightened up and let it run for about 10 minutes. Everything looked fine. I'm going to go out in a little bit.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A dead battery then a new battery and went for a short ride and it died. (by the way, even new batteries require an initial charge) Put in the same tested good battery and go for an even shorter ride. Everything seems fine. Sound like last time? You've done exactly the same thing yet expect a different result. Yes, it could have been a bad couple of batteries but without further testing you really can't tell right now. If you're going out without doing some more tests keep the cables handy. I hope that's what it was.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
Definitely fully charge battery before going to ride.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I generally just put them on and ride for a while.

Reactions: depot picker
1 - 14 of 14 Posts