Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my bike is on a tow truck heading to dealer with a dead battery?! Apparently the charging system has failed. Started and ran fine... got a low voltage on the display, check engine light, then it quit. Nice, huh?

Stock. No mods.

All I can say to Victory is- if parts are needed from you- youll want to ensure they get here quick. :mad:

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's a bummer! My voltage regulator went bad on my '08 Kingpin. As I was on a road trip, Brenny's took care of me by taking a new part off a showroom bike. Awesome service. And, it did not strand me, but the high voltage (18V) probably is what put out the headlight.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Unfortunately r/r's are probably the most common weak point for any model of any brand of bike. Honda's especially have almost always been known for weak r/r's and stator coils. Personally I think the r/r issue is one of heat. The device by nature creates a lot of it as it shunts excess power to ground, hence the ugly heatsink housings they are all built into. But because they're ugly, they're also almost always hidden away in places where airflow is limited so the heatsink can't do it's job properly and the electronics fail. Hopefully your dealer gets you back on the road quick and that the part you got just happened to be a bad one (sucks but it does happen whenever you're talking about mass production.)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Battery cables tight?

Sounds stupid but Vic's are very finicky about that.

Batteries, stators, and other components can go bad, but putting a wrench on the battery terminals will fix 99% of the electrical quirks on a Vic. A painless first check and all too common an occurrence.

Hope it is that simple.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Good point! Always check the simple things. Just put new spark plugs in my Yamaha Virago 250 before I handed it over to the experts. They found the ignition wire that had been cut when my son had the chain come off.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys- dealer is putting it on the lift now, so hopefully an answer is forthcoming today.

Cables seemed tight enough. That's kind of a guess- I did try to move them around by hand, etc. They didn't move at all, so I'm going to go with that, I mean- how tight do they need to be? What I can't see obviously is if a wire has come loose under there, etc.

Started and ran fine, I just happened to notice the "Lo 10.8" on the display when I went to cycle to the tach display.

The red check engine light came on within a minute or so with immediate low level backfiring throughout the rpm range on decel. (I was in traffic) Bike continued to run, but I stopped as soon as I could find a safe place to pull into.

After stopping & and turning everything off. Subsequent attempts to start it failed as expected. The battery continued to power the speedo displays, and would also prime the fuel pump- but not enough juice to turn it over. It tried- but too far discharged at that point.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In all the years and all the bikes I've worked on......

Harvey is #1 for stator and rectifier

I'll give Honda second place since I've done one. A cbr600rr.....

So a bunch of Harleys and one Honda from my experience.

Victory seems to have an unusual amount of "weak points" on these 106 bikes.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer: bad voltage regulator. Now the wait (and hell for them) begins.

·
13,177 Posts
Thinking about it today. My dealer has multi brands of bikes. So I was wondering do they have a throttle cable a belt a voltage regulator a primary gasket or clutch cable in stock.
Nope they don't but the parts guy says it only takes a few days to get. I ask what is a few days 2 or 5 days. Just bet its more like 5 days. Our summers are so short with all the rain and bad weather I want to ride every chance I get.
Standing at the front door of my Vic dealer I can throw a rock and hit the Harley dealers building with not much effort. I do know they carry these parts and its not cause the bikes break down there just that much smarter.
I hope I did not make a bad mistake.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
There is no good reason to wait very long for parts. With a good dealer I can order parts at 3pm and pick them up morning of next business day for ag. equipment. But some dealers of the same brand say they cant . Victory must have parts a ware house . The public will have to demand good service probably before we get it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pay attention

Battery cables tight?

Sounds stupid but Vic's are very finicky about that.

Batteries, stators, and other components can go bad, but putting a wrench on the battery terminals will fix 99% of the electrical quirks on a Vic. A painless first check and all too common an occurrence.

Hope it is that simple.
If you only pay attention to one thing on the forum make this it in 46 years of owning bikes i have never known one to be as sensitive to battery terminals as my hammer is when the man says tight he means F*******G tight I normally cover terminals in grease to protect against corrosion and even this has caused me problems so F tight and dry is the only way on our Vics;)

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Thinking about it today. My dealer has multi brands of bikes. So I was wondering do they have a throttle cable a belt a voltage regulator a primary gasket or clutch cable in stock.
Nope they don't but the parts guy says it only takes a few days to get. I ask what is a few days 2 or 5 days. Just bet its more like 5 days. Our summers are so short with all the rain and bad weather I want to ride every chance I get.
Standing at the front door of my Vic dealer I can throw a rock and hit the Harley dealers building with not much effort. I do know they carry these parts and its not cause the bikes break down there just that much smarter.

I had a circuit board that operated most electrical components go bad driving down the road on my brand new Kawasaki 750 back in 1989. Took 2 weeks had to come from Japan. I do not own no more foreign vehicles. And they did not give me a replacement to ride while mine was in the shop. This is the way most of these Powersports dealers operate. Sell Jap crap along with Victory motorcyles.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had a circuit board that operated most electrical components go bad driving down the road on my brand new Kawasaki 750 back in 1989. Took 2 weeks had to come from Japan. I do not own no more foreign vehicles. And they did not give me a replacement to ride while mine was in the shop. This is the way most of these Powersports dealers operate. Sell Jap crap along with Victory motorcyles.
So just out of curiousity, do you drive an american toyota or a mexican ford?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer says its on.......... you guessed it- backorder.

Now they give you a date, but trust me- the date is 100% grade A bullshit literally pulled straight out of their asses. I've been through this before with Victory over some stupid backrest spools. They cant even fill an order of T shirts! No kidding I haven't been raising hell over that, obviously but I will be over this part.

You would think that Victory would want to jump all over a brand new bike with a defect- but here is the response:

"Hi Brian, we have created a case for you with consumer services. If you do not hear back within 7-9 business days, please let us know."

Oh... I will.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Actually HD carries those parts in stock because they break often.
Not saying that Victories don't break but HD's do for sure.
But honestly they generally don't stock the part you want unless it is a belt, clutch, stator, regulator, oil pump and cam plate, lifters and compensators. The reason they carry those parts in stock is they are junk and fail constantly.

One Canadian friend who bought one of the first Twin cams changed 4 stators and regulators in 2 yrs. He only rides 6 months of the year!
He was not impressed. It was about $750 Canadian to get one changed and he had to trailer the bike to the dealer 3 hrs away and then get a ride up to ride it back a week later.
When the warrantee was up he traded the bike in. He didn't think he could afford to keep putting them in at that rate. He rides a lot but less than 20,000 miles a year.

HD put an alternator in those bikes that they hoped might be large enough to handle the surge of the electric fuel pump. It wasn't.
Next they up graded to one that was large enough but didn't make the splines wide enough on the crank to properly drive it and the crank was soft at the splines to boot. People were loosing cranks and alternator rotors often when the stators would fail, that was around 2003 - 5. I think cranks were about $1200 then. Then a few years later they upgraded again and redesigned the primary and people started loosing compensators and twisting cranks out of true.
During that time they produced a bunch of crap cranks and many people were twisting cranks with or without the compensator failing.
Don't know if the new ones are reliable or not yet don't care.
Every time I walk in a dealership there are a lot of mechanics and they are all real busy so I thinking that all is good for the $$ machine.

After riding Harley's for years it is kind of nice to realize that most of the Victory wrenches don't have a clue where the important expensive parts are. I like that. Much better than HD wrenches who can R&R a Crankshaft assembly in 8 hrs when it pays 10-12 because they get to do at least one every month.;) Careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Dealer says its on.......... you guessed it- backorder.

Now they give you a date, but trust me- the date is 100% grade A bullshit literally pulled straight out of their asses. I've been through this before with Victory over some stupid backrest spools. They cant even fill an order of T shirts! No kidding I haven't been raising hell over that, obviously but I will be over this part.

That does suck.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Machines break.Vics are machines and some will not fail in the riders length of ownership with just occasional maintenance while others will have problems occur as soon as the purchase and sales is filed. Available information, owner opinion and what data is out there tends to support the notion that Vics are designed and delivered with an engineered in reliability higher than some other manufacturers.

Is that done because Polaris is a charity? On the board of directors do they do powerpoints on how better to make the lives of the motorcycling public? Hell no. It's all about the ducats. They are selling a product. One of its selling points is reliability. Victory has massaged that selling point and we spread that gospel for them. Some of our prosthletizing is honest belief due to history, some is what we choose to believe. After all we paid the freight so we expect the goods to be delivered.

Nothing is free in a free market though and both the factory and the rider have got to accept a few side effects to the reliability hook everybody hangs their hat on.

A manufacturer that produces an item that fails with any level of predictability has to maintain replacement stock to compensate. That means that part of profit from every sale has to go into shelf stock. If the factory does the math right then there is a baseline of spare parts that are available and customer satisfaction is not hammered by delays. OTOH if there is too much repair stock the profit is being eaten up by inventory and the logistics of maintaining crates of doorstops nobody needs. Victory clearly subscribes to the idea of limited replacement parts due to higher reliability. Unfortunately for those riders whose bikes do break, because machines break, the result is sketchy supply chain.

The owner of the Vic complains about the lack of parts but often the owner has viewed both the reported reliability and the cost of the machine in his decision to buy one. Both those factors are directly related to how many spare parts are available. If a product that is noted for reliability carries an expansive inventory of spares then you and I will have to be willing to foot the bill for Polaris to keep shelves full just in case we need something. If I'm Mr. Polaris and you tell me that you absolutely want more spare parts, I could be inclined to use some of my QC / QA budget to give you what you want which means that the uber reliability you were expecting will be ratcheted down to make use of the shelves lined with replacement parts that you insist I stock for you.

It's a balancing act and I don't think Victory has it figured out but I don't ever expect that Vic and its dealer network are going to adopt big automotive supply chain concepts. No way, no how. They are invested in providing a marginally more reliable product and a less robust supply chain. That's the model, that's what we bought.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
It's a balancing act and I don't think Victory has it figured out but I don't ever expect that Vic and its dealer network are going to adopt big automotive supply chain concepts. No way, no how. They are invested in providing a marginally more reliable product and a less robust supply chain. That's the model, that's what we bought.
Another fine summation Dr Pop.

The one issue that worries me is their ability to maintain their marginal reliability in the face of growth. Toyota once stood heads above most other automakers in terms of reliability, but as they put market share in their sights, the holes in the reliability target were no longer bullseyes. By the time they overtook GM they were building as much crap as everyone else.

Hopefully, Polaris will manage this better, but the euphoria of success, like other types of euphoria, can have unintended consequences...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts