• If the bike is still on the road it keeps a little bit of him alive

Votes: 20 30.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question. Would you ride/own a bike that a guy died on?
I ask because as some of you know I got my bike slightly damaged from a salvage dealer where I know a few guys that work there. There was no structural damage. It needed a tank, wasn't on the insurance report so I'm assuming that damage occurred from transport, a fender, headlight and a few small parts.
I have the bike 99% back together, just waiting on a cheese wedge that is going to be delivered this week. As I was working on it yesterday I find a plastic bag taped to the inside of the right side cover. In it was the previous registration and the previous owners learners permit. I thought it was a little strange that someone on a learners permit would own a bike that big. Figured he must have dumped it, got scared and took the insurance check. I got curious and googled his name. First thing that comes up is an article about how he died in a motorcycle accident. The article said he lost control in a turn and died in the hospital. He was only 40. Married with a daughter.
I've bought salvage bikes before and there has always been a thought that something like this may have happened on one of the bikes I bought but it's a little different actually knowing it. It's probably one of the reasons they block out the previous owners name on the insurance report.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Ride it like a mad man what's the chance of it happening twice??

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The bike is JINXED now... get rid of it as quick as you can and for your own safety, DON'T RIDE IT !!

:ltr:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wouldn't bother me either.

G'day,

Vinish

·
13,242 Posts
In my saddle bag I have 7 funeral cards from lost friends. I take them with me every ride cause they rode

·
Registered
329 Posts
Man, that is a sad story. Guy gets his first bike which is too much motorcycle for a beginner. He dies on that bike and leaves behind a wife and kids. That sucks and I can see how some people may not want to ride that bike.

I'm assuming that you got a heck of a deal on the bike. So I'd keep it and ride the crap out of it. I don't think it would bother me but really the question is will it bother you?

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's a bummer the guy died from the accident. That said, it's an inanimate object and, as such, has no "connection" to the pervious owner.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Nope its a bad omen but i can help you with it. send it to me and i'll take care of it. No worries.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would say if you have no personal connection to the poor fella. keep it and enjoy it. If you are an emotional person and little things bother you, you should fix it up and sell it. It's a personal matter that only you can answer. If it's always in your mind when riding, I wouldn't want that. let us know how you sort that out, some dudes are emotional and others are better at covering those emotions up. Which type are you?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Nice bike!...same colour as my Buick hearse.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Get a new guardian bell for it

·
Registered
121 Posts
WOW that's a tuff one. I don't know what I would do??? Maybe just finish it and pass it along with the story to someone else that dosent have a problem with it OR ride it like you stole it and hope the guy is looking down on you with a big smile on his face and saying " YA BUDDY THATS MY BIKE" . Either way do what YOU feel best with and have fun

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
My friend crashed his vic 1 year ago, he is still in bed after 1 year .... His bike has about 500 Km on the clock, and written off by insurance

Everybody say that I can fix it, my wife say don't do it ......

I can't help answer your question OP but i feel for your choice ...

Pinstripe his name inside the front fender or on the bottom of the tank ..... ? I think I would do that if it was me fixing the bike

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Death is doorway... for all you know, that dude was doing something he finally wanted to do and now he is in an even better place. You don't know and won't know. However, you can't read anything into this and you should be able to enjoy owning and riding this bike.

If you find that you can't, sell it and move on.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
If your head is jacked up about its possible if you keep it and ride it, it might effect you mentally as you ride. Consider that. Do you want that monkey on your back as your trying to enjoy a ride. It could be a factor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts