Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after I got my XCT, I installed a switched power block inside the fairing to run power to things like my GPS, Sirius XM, Aux running lights, and so on. I used a good quality relay for the project.

A couple weeks ago I fired up the bike for the first time since last fall only to discover that none of these items worked any more. I dug into it this past weekend to discover that the relay was corroded and had failed.

No worries, I just put a new one in.

So why did it get corroded I asked myself?

I had mounted it inside the fairing up against the metal fairing bracket with the wiring tabs facing UP! Of course ... any water that got inside there settled on it and slowly caused the connections to corrode and probably short out.

Solution.... mount it with the connections facing DOWN.

Possibly just a little "TIP" for others.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Put a little dab of dielectric grease on the connections and that'll solve all the problems. Anytime, I unplug anything on a motorcycle it gets a dab when I plug them back together.

Just a little FYI here, at Home Depot or Lowes on the electrical aisle by the electrical tools, quick ties etc, they sell dielectric grease in a giant tube for around 5$. The same stuff at an Auto parts(Auto Zone, O'Reilly etc) is the same price or more for a tiny tube. One 5$ tube lasts a while. If you don't have any, any grease will do.

Reactions: gibson

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a little dab of dielectric grease on the connections and that'll solve all the problems.
Been there, done that... forgot to mention it; however, glad you did. That said, it seemed the moisture somehow got inside the relay and buggered it up.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
You're on the "wet" side of Canada and whether you realize it or not there is no protection from water ingress from around the headlight on a Cross Country. Pack the relay with grease and the nuclear option is to get some big heat shrink and encase the relay.

I ride in the rain all the time and while it doesn't rain here all the time sometimes we get some frog stranglers during the monsoon season. My radio always quits and starts working again when it dries out.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
13,263 Posts
for years I have used Vaseline. I think it works just as good and maybe last longer.
I wonder if your getting condensation inside the fairing. You might want to look at other connection for corrosion in the fairing

·
Registered
632 Posts
for years I have used Vaseline. I think it works just as good and maybe last longer.
I wonder if your getting condensation inside the fairing. You might want to look at other connection for corrosion in the fairing
So ''there'' are other uses for Vaseline...........:wink:wink

Reactions: SubDude

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, took me a while before I realized it was the relay coz I was looking at all the other connections and fuses in the wiring I'd installed... they were all good. Even looked at a few of the factory connections.... no issues there. Just the relay.

I also replaced my lower aux lights that I'd installed and even those wiring connections (which are behind the battery shield) were good.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Vaseline or any grease works fine. In the Aviation industry (which I retired from) if I used vaseline as dielectric grease it would be considered an "unapproved" repair or practice. Old habits die hard. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
You could get a large diameter piece of heat shrink tubing and slide it over the relay and shrink it down around it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts