Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into the dealer today to see about a new xc/xr...we got to talking trade and with everything still on my bike he shoots 7000. A 13 vegas 8ball with everything but cams. I asked why so low considering I bought the bike this time last year and he said that is the resale value for ya. So in one year and less than 2000 miles on clock it depreciated 5 thousand plus. I walked. Going to hit another dealer but if the same numbers come back I can't say I have much belief in vic holding value.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Value?????

Personally I do not by a motorcycle in hopes of it holding value or gaining. Sorry. I buy them because that is what I feel like I want or need(ha,ha) at the time. Yes I wish they held there value better. It sure seems like unless it is a HD they do not hold there value unless you happen to find the right buyer. Bought my last Triumph brand new and found out real quick they did not hold value very good at the time, again sorry to say, cost me a lot at resale in the end. I new it was, so I kept the bike until it had over 70K miles on it. Did a few mods, which do NOT help the value any, again unless you find the right buyer that likes the mods you have done. ......Next time I will buy used more than likely, let the first owner take the hit. Buy a used one with low miles and save a few thousand $$$ hopefully. ...Noticed the other day for 2015 Victory is NOT offering the CrossRoads anymore, there goes the value on my 2011 CrossRoads again, payed to much to begin with for it. Still paying the bank and I see I could buy one with lower miles on it than mine for less than I owe on mine..........crap. Still enjoy the bike, try not to look at the cost, though it is hard not to. Used bikes are looking better, though new and shinny is nice.thumb up

·
Registered
160 Posts
Went into the dealer today to see about a new xc/xr...we got to talking trade and with everything still on my bike he shoots 7000. A 13 vegas 8ball with everything but cams. I asked why so low considering I bought the bike this time last year and he said that is the resale value for ya. So in one year and less than 2000 miles on clock it depreciated 5 thousand plus. I walked. Going to hit another dealer but if the same numbers come back I can't say I have much belief in vic holding value.
Well your dealer is screwing you a bit....

My experience, I bought a 2008 Vision for $17K from my dealer. It was a demo when I bought it.

3 Years later and 82K miles, when I go to trade it in I got $10,500 for it.

That was 6.5K in depreciation......but it needed tires when I traded it.....and it had a cracked turn signal assembly.

......oh.....and it had 82K miles on it.

So I thought that was reasonable.

Try around a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
capitalism?

Guys, lets be reasonable here. You are not selling your bike for full resale value when you trade in at a dealership. You are selling it wholesale and they resell it hopefully for a profit. They may sell it quick or it may sit on their floor for months. During that time they have to clean it, move it, advertise it and pray that someone is going to want a bike that someone else has ridden and modded to their own specs. If you want full value for your bike, sell it yourself. Take out an ad, deal with tire kickers, show it to potentially dozens of people and a week or a month or more from now deal with the guy who buys it, after trying to chisel you down hundreds or even thousands of dollars from what you think its worth. If you want it gone today, there is a premium to be paid to get someone else to deal with all that crap for you.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Come on Rlanda, it is not that hard or difficult to sell a bike on your own. As long as you price it reasonably you can move a bike (that is desirable) pretty fast. I have sold both a motorcycle and a truck in the last 2 years and had them both sold in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dealer did not kick you. They are in business to make money.
So maybe he low balled you a little on the trade in. Did you try to negotiate a better price on the new bike. There is plenty of wiggle room there. If not shop around or sell the bike on your own.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
You are never going to get a good deal trading in. Last month when I took my wife's 2008 Nightster with 2400 miles I was offered 3100. Sold it on Craigslist for 6300 in three days. The dealer is going to be 2k-3k under retail generally speaking.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Anything you get will shock you if you try and trade in the first 2 years. Vic's aren't in high demand, and dealers set the prices, "book" be damned.
Never buy anything with wheels as an investment. Ride it.
Want trade in? Get a Goldwing. 130K, 08 traded $14+K. Rolled out 4 years before for just under $17K. Book was holding them high 15's for private sale.

Harley who?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I always check auto or cycle trader to get a feel
For what's out there. There are a fair amount of Vegas to choose from so could have Ben yet another factor. I really have not seen any recreational vehicle hold a strong new purchase value.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I traded my '06 StratoLiner in on the '13 Cross Country this last February down in Arizona and it was the first time I've ever traded in for a reason. I personally didn't want to be stuck with two bikes in a couple of months when it was time to head back to Wyoming so I took the hit. I asked 5k and they countered with 4.5k. I figured with 32k miles on it and shot tires I figured I didn't do too bad for a trade in.

I've got nothing against dealerships making money but folks have to understand that they DON'T want your trade in PERIOD!! If they sell without a trade they make money right now. If they take a trade then their profit doesn't hit the bank until they sell the bike that you or I were too lazy to sell ourselves.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Why you are confusing a DEALER trying to make $'s off of you with ACTUAL "resale value" when it has almost NOTHING to do with depreciation? Sell it yourself and you will find the ACTUAL depreciation value will be THOUSANDS more.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has a 12 vegas with nothing on the floor at 11000. I asked if he could do anything better on the bike price and again was a no. Now I know he is pretty much just being a dick at this point considering his service guy was like yeah he can deal on the bike in question. Am I just supposed to take that huge hit on another bike. To be honest I know Harley isn't as good or close but In four years if I want a new bike I would at least have something to work with on prices. Still can't see myself on an hd though but may just get away from bikes in general now.

·
Registered
530 Posts
So early 2013 i was in the market for my first new bike. I rode or sat on everything I was interested in. But had my eye on a Vegas the whole time. Then at the Expo I got the chance to sit on the 13 Judge and fell in love. BUT to do my due diligence, I walked into Harley. Having never rode ones in my price range I thought I owed it to myself to at least test out a couple.

I walked into HD. "So Im thinking about buying a victory, Why would I buy a Harley?"

"Pffft cause its a Harley" He replied. I threw him another bone.

"Well what sets it apart from the Vics"

"Resale value!" Was his only reply. Looked him in the eye, chuckled a little and said "Well I'm not buying a bike to resell it, Im buying a bike to ride it!" And walked out.

Bought the Judge the next day. Im not loaded, but I am a DINK (dual income no kids) I could have had any cruiser I wanted. I made the right call...wouldn't trade my 13 Judge for any other cruiser.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow I talked to mine about doing the same trade and they offered me at least 8 sight unseen and mine is a 2011 with 4k and before some of the mods I have done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is a big ole ditto right there

Guys, lets be reasonable here. You are not selling your bike for full resale value when you trade in at a dealership. You are selling it wholesale and they resell it hopefully for a profit. They may sell it quick or it may sit on their floor for months. During that time they have to clean it, move it, advertise it and pray that someone is going to want a bike that someone else has ridden and modded to their own specs. If you want full value for your bike, sell it yourself. Take out an ad, deal with tire kickers, show it to potentially dozens of people and a week or a month or more from now deal with the guy who buys it, after trying to chisel you down hundreds or even thousands of dollars from what you think its worth. If you want it gone today, there is a premium to be paid to get someone else to deal with all that crap for you.
+10 on this response and it has always been and will likely always be this way. My current loss is driven by I want a different bike and am willing to take the loss to "Move on" so to speak. In an effort to not deal with tire kickers myself, I've paid a local dealer to sell the bike on consignment and let them deal with it for 200 bux.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Try another dealer but keep in mind that your timing kinda sucks right now. Now that 15's have been announced NOS bikes are being discounted. Since dealers may lose a little with discounts they make it up with buying used bikes low (I.e. giving low $ on trades) and selling them for a big profit. New bikes are going to hit the floors soon so when they get customers in that can't qualify for a new bike they can still make a sale on a used bike.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
He has a 12 vegas with nothing on the floor at 11000. I asked if he could do anything better on the bike price and again was a no. Now I know he is pretty much just being a dick at this point considering his service guy was like yeah he can deal on the bike in question. Am I just supposed to take that huge hit on another bike. To be honest I know Harley isn't as good or close but In four years if I want a new bike I would at least have something to work with on prices. Still can't see myself on an hd though but may just get away from bikes in general now.
You trying to "second guess" how HE should run HIS business is futile. Maybe he just doesn't want YOUR bike on the floor. Maybe he's planning on ....fill in the space here with whatever make you feel better

He's actually offering you a DECENT trade in value. Here is the Kelly Blue Book valuation showing your bike is only worth $6,490 without the mods so he's actually offering you OVER trade in value.
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/victory/vegas-8-ball/2013-victory-vegas-8-ball/trade-in/

Have you asked him if he will still give you $7K if you return it back to stock? If he would then you could (probably) sell those parts for $1K (even being used) and then you would get closer to the $9,270 retail for it.
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/victory/vegas-8-ball/2013-victory-vegas-8-ball/suggestedretailvalue/

The reality is that you are only going to get somewhere between those two if you try to sell it yourself so $8K would be a decent value even if it would require a little effort on your part.

A 2013 model is actually 2 years old now that the 2015's are out. Most of us got over 10% off our bikes when we bought ours so it would be logical that you were able to get a similar discount which means that you (likely) only paid $10,800 for your bike new. Even at his $7K figure (assuming you stripped off the parts), you would have only spent $158/month for the 24 months of riding it.

Have you even asked about the price he is asking for the bike you are actually wanting to buy? He may be willing to take $4K off of it, right?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My dealer has some pretty honest people. First off, the Vics don't move that fast. Second off, about 40% of people who buy them are govies that get $1000 off. Next, they are taking up to $2k off in rebates. And then they are throwing in multi-year warranties and cheapie financing promotions. Some places offer 15% off parts for several months on top of that. All that to get a new one out the door.

Trust me, it's an odd day when they are selling those bikes at the sticker price.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have bought 5 bikes and sold four on CL. I consider myself to be very experienced... now.

Trade-ins are a major waste of your time. Next, don't EVER buy a new bike.

If you've got plenty of dough and money is no object, trade the sucker, buy the bike, and ride it.

I just got home an hour ago from a 500 mile round trip with a 2004 vegas $4500 and looks like it came off the show room floor. I did my homework, guy wanted to sell, and I am living the V dream! :D

This was the first time I have ever seen a victory in real life and first time to ride one. I LOVE IT!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts