Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By not taking my bike in for the first initial oil change by the dealer is that harmful? Bascially i know they say they do more than an oil change which i can believe but whatever it is that they say they do i can do instead of being charged like $200 bucks.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yes, what they do is a joke as far as I'm concerned, for what they charge.... Just my opinion though, but a waste of money none the less.:( When you have a legitimate gripe, then bring your bike in with specific concerns. Pay only for what you need fixed and not phantom adjustments and such...

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
It probably is not harmful. However, in addition to them checking it out, my dealer uploaded my bike's engine info to Victory when I bought it, and again at 500-mile service so they know it is running as it should.

I will do the oil changes from here on out...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
It probably is not harmful. However, in addition to them checking it out, my dealer uploaded my bike's engine info to Victory when I bought it, and again at 500-mile service so they know it is running as it should.

I will do the oil changes from here on out...
Broggy, how many miles on your CC , if you don't mind?

·
Registered
450 Posts
By not taking my bike in for the first initial oil change by the dealer is that harmful? Bascially i know they say they do more than an oil change which i can believe but whatever it is that they say they do i can do instead of being charged like $200 bucks.
The checklist is in your owners manual. Adjust belt tension requires a lift, torque wrench, and tension gauge. Compression check requires a gauge that you could probably borrow from a auto parts store.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Here's a heads up for you...
My XR has 13K miles on 'er now. Recently had her on the lift to change out the road lights (Clearwater Glendas to Darlas) and discovered loose steering head bearings. Tightened them and while I had the torque wrench out, checked all the pinch bolts and other fasteners on the forks. All, except the caliper mounting bolts, needed about a quarter turn or so. I used to get a banging noise whenever I hit a sharp bump and now its gone. Ain't no substitute for good old preventative maintenance.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Here's a heads up for you...
My XR has 13K miles on 'er now. Recently had her on the lift to change out the road lights (Clearwater Glendas to Darlas) and discovered loose steering head bearings. Tightened them and while I had the torque wrench out, checked all the pinch bolts and other fasteners on the forks. All, except the caliper mounting bolts, needed about a quarter turn or so. I used to get a banging noise whenever I hit a sharp bump and now its gone. Ain't no substitute for good old preventative maintenance.

I AGREE 100% , ALTHOUGH MY DEALER WANTED 260.00 @ THE 500-600 MILE MARK FOR AN OIL CHANGE AND CHECK UP... 260.00 ? MY BIKE WAS BRAND NEW... ALL MY POINT WAS IF YOU HAVE A FEW TOOLS, AND A LITTLE BIT OF SKILL , YOU CAN SAVE A TON OF DOUGH AND DO SOME CHECKING YOURSELF, JUST AS YOU DID. cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sorry bout the all caps... My bad.:crzy:

·
Registered
120 Posts
My 1st service was $100 and I thought that was reasonable to confirm all was fine. Everything else will be my responsibility except warranty issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
12,983 Posts
you say that check compression. I would pull spark plug boot and with a marker put a black dot on the plugs and check after the inspection.

I have never heard of re torquing the bolts. I believe once there torque thats it. You would have to take bolt all the way out and start over to get proper toque.

It makes you wounder how well the bike was built if you have to bring it back after 500 miles for inspection. Didn't you just pay for that when you bought the bike dealer set up.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My 1st service was $100 and I thought that was reasonable to confirm all was fine. Everything else will be my responsibility except warranty issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes, 100.00 is super reasonable, unfortunately for me , they wanted 260.00 ... NOT reasonable to me, I can do most of it myself, for free.:D

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
you say that check compression. I would pull spark plug boot and with a marker put a black dot on the plugs and check after the inspection.

I have never heard of re torquing the bolts. I believe once there torque thats it. You would have to take bolt all the way out and start over to get proper toque.

It makes you wounder how well the bike was built if you have to bring it back after 500 miles for inspection. Didn't you just pay for that when you bought the bike dealer set up.
My point exactly, VJ ...cheers

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Apparently, a few of you have never owned four cylinder sport cars back in the 50s and 60s, when, once a month, you opened the hood and re-tightened every threaded fastener under there and then a lot more. Failure to do so and various parts escape and the manifolds loosen and leak. Now tell me you're going to ride a throbbing two banger and not check things once in a while.
P.S. VV, I did back off those bolts on my forks before re-torquing them. Nanny, nanny!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Apparently, a few of you have never owned four cylinder sport cars back in the 50s and 60s, when, once a month, you opened the hood and re-tightened every threaded fastener under there and then a lot more. Failure to do so and various parts escape and the manifolds loosen and leak. Now tell me you're going to ride a throbbing two banger and not check things once in a while.
P.S. VV, I did back off those bolts on my forks before re-torquing them. Nanny, nanny!
Ricz, I'm not disagreeing with your statements or philosophy... I'm merely stating that at the 500 mi. check up , In my case 260.00 , at the dealer, I will forgo that expense and do the work myself. Plus , if my bike is rattling apart in the first 500mi. , I'm switching brands.;)

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Ricz, I'm not disagreeing with your statements or philosophy... I'm merely stating that at the 500 mi. check up , In my case 260.00 , at the dealer, I will forgo that expense and do the work myself. Plus , if my bike is rattling apart in the first 500mi. , I'm switching brands.;)
Ever hear of the Bathtub Curve where it concerns warranties, Extended warranties in particular? Picture the profile of a bathtub. You buy the bike (or other product) at the top left of that curve and that is the point at which that item is most likely to fail. The bottom of the bathtub is the period that the least will go wrong (the part of the curve covered by extended warranties) and then the curve ascends at the right end, the time when its going to start giving you problems.
IMO, the 500 mile service, if done thoroughly, finds those gremlins that are at the left end of the bathtub curve in order to prevent warranty claims in the near future. You could look at it as a CYA maneuver on the factory's/dealer's part, or you can chalk it up to peace of mind on your part. You shoulda bargained for that service to be tossed in when you were buying your bike, then all this would be a moot point.
What fraction of the price you paid for your toy bike is $260? About 2% and you're carping about that?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My question is , my 500 mi check up is coming up. How much would it cost me to get the basic tools to do the maintenance myself. Maybe someone can post how to do the checkup because this seems to come up often. I have some mechanical ability so maybe this would be a start to learning my bike.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ever hear of the Bathtub Curve where it concerns warranties, Extended warranties in particular? Picture the profile of a bathtub. You buy the bike (or other product) at the top left of that curve and that is the point at which that item is most likely to fail. The bottom of the bathtub is the period that the least will go wrong (the part of the curve covered by extended warranties) and then the curve ascends at the right end, the time when its going to start giving you problems.
IMO, the 500 mile service, if done thoroughly, finds those gremlins that are at the left end of the bathtub curve in order to prevent warranty claims in the near future. You could look at it as a CYA maneuver on the factory's/dealer's part, or you can chalk it up to peace of mind on your part. You shoulda bargained for that service to be tossed in when you were buying your bike, then all this would be a moot point.
What fraction of the price you paid for your toy bike is $260? About 2% and you're carping about that?

I understand what you are trying to say, with all due respect to my dealer, even if they said they would do it for 25.00 , I don't feel that they would provide me with anything that I wouldn't rather do myself and, do better. I just don't have the confidence in them based on some of my services I have had there in the past. I bought 3 Vic oil change kits from them right up front on 3 separate invoices, When I use a kit , such as at 596 mi. I write the date and mileage on the invoice , showing I used a Vic kit , the date and mileage to fall back on if needed. Plus my Vic parts guy and I are tight. He knows I love and baby my machine.cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I just don't have the confidence in them based on some of my services I have had there in the past.
I can totally understand this.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I understand what you are trying to say, with all due respect to my dealer, even if they said they would do it for 25.00 , I don't feel that they would provide me with anything that I wouldn't rather do myself and, do better. I just don't have the confidence in them based on some of my services I have had there in the past. I bought 3 Vic oil change kits from them right up front on 3 separate invoices, When I use a kit , such as at 596 mi. I write the date and mileage on the invoice , showing I used a Vic kit , the date and mileage to fall back on if needed. Plus my Vic parts guy and I are tight. He knows I love and baby my machine.cheers
I can associate strongly with the above. I have a one man specialized machine repair business that I have been operating as an independent for over 40 years, plus many years experience before going into business on my own. There is hardly another who repairs those machines to my level and some of those repairs are outright horrendous and dangerous. I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of guys out there (maybe most) who are dangerous with tools on their hands. Like you, I have little faith and trust in most dealer shop mechanics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts