Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday the dealership in Lake Havasu City, AZ called to inform me that my bike had been recalled. They quite sternly told me that I should under no circumstances ride the bike until it the fuel pump recall has been performed but weren't able to tell me "when" the parts might arrive. I'm supposed to call them tomorrow and find out if they know anything about the parts ETA.

After having read the reasons for the recall I must say that I'm slightly amused about the prohibition on riding the bike. Maybe I should call them and ask if they've got a new SlingShot that I can use for transportation until they get the parts.thumb up Since I doubt that will go over very well I'm pretty sure that I can handle an engine failure as long as I'm not airborn when it happens.

When the parts do come in I think just to screw with 'em I'll request that they pick the bike up since it's too dangerous to ride the five miles to their location.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I hope I don't get that call ... Although , my tank is off the bike and it is the dead of winter right now . Maybe I will call them !thumb up

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Let's hope that doesn't go like the backrest/rack recall. It took over a year to get my new parts. Ma Vic needs to learn how to deal with recalls in a timely and friendlier manner.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What years does the recall cover?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Have you seen this...

http://www.aimag.com/2015/01/american-iron-news-2300-victory-motorcycles-recalled-for-fuel-pump-issue/

American Iron News: 2,300 Victory Motorcycles Recalled For Fuel Pump Issue
January 13, 2015 by Staff 1 Comment
Polaris has issued a stop sale notice and is recalling 2,342 Victory motorcycles from the 2013-15 model years because the fuel pump may have been incorrectly crimped during manufacturing, which might cause it to seize and increase the risk of a stall, NHTSA reported.
Affected are 2013-14 Victory Cross-Country, Cross Roads, Hammer Eight Ball, High Ball, Jackpot and Vegas Eight Ball models; 2014 Cross Country Eight Ball, Cross Roads Eight Ball and Ness Cross Country; 2015 Victory Gunner; and 2013 Victory Hardball.
“Some 2013-15 Victory motorcycles may have been manufactured with a fuel pump assembly that does not meet Victory quality standards,” the OEM told dealers in a Jan. 6 service bulletin. “Victory has identified an insufficient clearance between the fuel pump body and impeller, which can interfere with normal fuel pump operation. Motorcycles assembled with an affected fuel pump may experience a sudden loss of fuel pressure, causing the engine to stall.”
The OEM said it received 16 warranty claims relating to this issue from April through October of last year. “Victory engaged the vendor in June… in an attempt to determine root cause,” the company noted. Final information was received from the vendor in December. “The information from the vendor correlated with the statistical studies that had been ongoing since the identification of a potential field issue was discovered,” the OEM noted.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
No designation on exactly what serial #'s are effected? It can't be on all models listed, Polaris must have sold more 2,342 of all those bikes combined.

·
Registered
632 Posts
In the real world if your bike is on the recalled list you ''Should'' receive a notice in the mail....wac

·
Registered
139 Posts
No designation on exactly what serial #'s are effected? It can't be on all models listed, Polaris must have sold more 2,342 of all those bikes combined.
My understanding is the defect is in the fuel pump itself. Since the pump is a relatively standard component a bad shipment of parts could have been installed on any motorcycle being assembled when that batch of parts where at the factory.

Production records could give them a window of possible units with bad parts but has to factor in previous stock on hand and incoming shipments also.

Mike

·
Registered
597 Posts
My dealer made phone calls,to the few in the area,that were affected.
And my phone did not ring :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
In the real world if your bike is on the recalled list you ''Should'' receive a notice in the mail....wac
That's how Ford does it ..... We don't call anybody from the dealership.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went out on the bike yesterday and cheated death one more time.

From the sound of the description on the recall it sounds like the fuel pump keeps running it just starves the engine momentarily. I've had more than a few instances of a hesitation at low rpm and the engine does just die once in a while, in fact it happened last nite on the way home from a friends. When it conked out I was a few blocks from home and I was thinkin' that when I hit the button if it didn't start I was gonna be pissed but it fired right up again.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all of my guns...for what I told her I paid for them." I love this , although it doesn't just apply to my guns , but everything I own .:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately Mags I can't take credit for the signature line, it was "borrowed" from a member on one of the shooting forums that I frequent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was at my dealer yesterday and the service manager said he has no idea how long it will be until the new parts for the recall are available. Apparently, some of the dealers ordered a large number of pumps and caused a big back order.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They didn't seem too worried about us riding the bikes for the 10 months it took them to investigate the problem now did they. They still didn't tell us the root cause for the clearance loss either. New supplier?, new part?, materials?, process?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Placed a call to my dealer today. They apparently have a list of effected bikes. After looking of my VIN # I was told mine is on the "does not apply" list.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess Victory are just covering themselves legally with the 'Do not ride your bike' comment. Now that they have identified and acknowledged the problem they pretty much have to adopt that line.

If they said something like, "Oh you should be okay", and then someone's bike stops dead in the middle of a busy freeway and the rider gets run down, you can imagine the ensuing law suit!

Russ.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just ride the frickin thing! An old saying in the tech world in which I live and work is that if it lasts 30 days, it will last 30 years thumb up

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Harley Ultra Limited had a couple of issues during the first 2 months I had it and my dealer called me first to announce the seriousness of each problem then proceeded to ask what was convenient for me as to when they could pick the bike up and return to me. Harleys service for the customer base goes above and beyond any other product I have ever had.

I didn't initially state that each time they traveled 35 miles each way to get my bike.

Customer service is first and foremost with Harley Davidson.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I had two issues with my Vic when I first got it .... My dealer picked it up twice for me ....

1 - 20 of 96 Posts