Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend mentioned this term when we were talking about the new High Ball, something that can happen when you have ape hangers for handlebars. Any truth to this?

·
13,263 Posts
The higher the bar the less strength and leverage you have to controling the bike in a bad situation.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Death wobble is/was a result of HD rubber mounted motors and the relation to the three axis of mounting and the pivot point of the swing arm... Do a google search on HD death wobble if you want to know more. They changed some stuff up in 08 to help with this.

In other words it is an HD issue not a Victory issue and has nothing to do with apes. If you are on an HD that gets into this situation the last thing you want is apes but it can happen with any style bar. Being fair to HD this only happens at real high rates of speed.

Bottom line - Victory does not have this issue.

Oh by the way - apes get a bad wrap by those that have not ridden with them. Yes you are not going to be doing the "ride like a pro" BMW course but they are not this big bad scary thing that so many fear. Honestly if you have a bad back, ape hangers are one of the BEST thing you can do to help with this. It forces you to set up straight. Now am I saying you need to have your fist over your head... NO but apes that come to your shoulders are about the most comfortable ride you can get.

·
Registered
336 Posts
[or until something important fell off.]
I know first hand about that cheers I have lost stuff and have found buddies stuff at 90+

That chit hurts mang!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Many bikes have been accused of having " death wobble". When I had my st1300 many posts asked if it was true many European police depts. stopped using these bikes due to wobble. It invariably turned out to be a tire issue. Had a Honda Sabre 1100 many years ago and got the wobble at about 85. Scared the hell out of me. Turned out I had not checked my tires in a while and the front only had 15 lbs. of air.
I can't use apes. Puts my left arm to sleep. But it is nice until the numbness sets in.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Death wobble is a old term. I am use to hearing tank slapper. A lot of variables involved. Low tire pressure, inferior suppression, to wind shields and fairings.
I had it on my VTX when I first installed the fairing. Big trucks would cause it easy. It turned out I had not centered the fairing. It was off 1/8 inch. Once I got it level it stopped.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would agree that Ape hangers right about shoulder level are very comfy. I had them on my Vstar 1100 and loved them.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
It looks like im a little late chiming in here . A bunch of my buddies have harley road kings with 16 inch and up apes . and most of them get that front wheel wobble above 110 mph .

·
Registered
554 Posts
Any bike can develop front end wobble, including Victory. Bad steering head bearings can cause it, poor road surface, worn tires and excessive speed. Death wobble is a just a term people came up with that didn't know any better to describe the loss of control from head shake.

I did a search btw and the main factor was speed above the posted limit in a turn and wobble in the turn. This is called riding beyond the handling of the motorcycle, or in laymen's terms being a moron.

·
Registered
554 Posts
One of the first comments was how he started braking. Based on the video he braked while leaning over in a high speed sweeper, most likely the back went first and then bam.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
This video saddens me. I felt bad for the rider, especially when I saw his bloody paws. :( Also the car or cars that stopped by did not think it was worth their time to help the crashed rider. Nice. It took another Vision rider to actually stop and help.

The "death wobble" or "high speed wobble" takes place at high speed (usually illegal speeds) under full or close to full acceleration. This guy was doing neither, therefore this is not a death (or high speed) wobble.

Btw, the only thing that should be on your mind if you ever get a high speed wobble, is to let go of the throttle! That's what your MSF course instructor should have told you, and that's the only thing you can do to avoid crashing - trying to control a wobble by maintaining acceleration is nothing but a sure path to disaster.

This is what a high speed wobble looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmtoOmq3ppw&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a Big Dog go into a wobble (straightline) at 95-100 and damn near throwed me off. Took it home parked it and sold it the next day. Scared the living chit outa me, and I'm hard to scare. My older HDs dresser would go into curve wobble which was nowhere near as scary as that tankslapper on the Big Dog. This XC is a stable as a rock in a curve or straight line.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
It looks like im a little late chiming in here . A bunch of my buddies have harley road kings with 16 inch and up apes . and most of them get that front wheel wobble above 110 mph .
Wobble on the RK tends to come from the rear do to some piss poor engineering of the swing arm mount. Some real nice kits are available to fix it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts