Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys was wondering what others have done to get rid of decel popping. I have Lloyd's timing wheel set at +6 and O2 sensors disconnected. I am considering getting Lloyd's VFC-III. any other suggestions...
And yes I looked in the manual :)
Jim

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
If you have an aftermarket exhaust then you will probably always have some form of decel popping. You can do a search on here because there are tons of threads covering the subject. I would think with the timing wheel set at +6 then you wouldn't have much popping problems but every bike is different. Your other option is to put the stock exhaust back on. Don't sound as cool but little to no popping. I rode the Blue Ridge on Friday up to Roanoke and took I-81 back home, great day for it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the funny thing is that when I first put the wheel to +6 it seem to go away for a while. I will check the wheel again. Lloyd's Vic is surprised to help that. I am not sure.
I have stage 1 pipes on. The dealer put them on so I don't have the originals.

We rode to Charlottesville yesterday and took the BRPW back. It was a great ride. Only thing is that I am starting to get neck and upper back pain after riding for about 3 hours. Not sure why. I am going to change my riding position to liitle more forward. See how that works

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Maybe you can try raising your handlebars a bit. They were a bit low for me, so I raised them. No need to remove the fairing, the two rear handlebar riser bolts are upside down making adjustment from underneath possible.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Try plugging your O2 sensors back in. This may reduce the decal popping.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Your timing may be a little far advanced for a stock (or stage 1) tune.

Back it off a bit and see. It may also be advanced too far for your bike. Mine vibrated like an out of balance washing machine at +4. After asking around some Vic boards, I was directed to back it off a bit. Set to +2 and all was well and seemed to have all the advantages of the timing wheel.

Lots say a Vic is going to snap, crackle, and pop. If mine did, it would be fixed or gone. I have a Doebeck Gen +4 tuner. Said I'd never do that but the spark plugs told a story I didn't care for much. All seems well with the tuner and the tune now. Oh and no popping, coughing, or gagging. Burns me up to have to put a tuner on to make a stock bike work right though.

Congrats, and enjoy the ride. Hope things work out well for you. They should.

cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Your timing may be a little far advanced for a stock (or stage 1) tune.

Back it off a bit and see. It may also be advanced too far for your bike. Mine vibrated like an out of balance washing machine at +4. After asking around some Vic boards, I was directed to back it off a bit. Set to +2 and all was well and seemed to have all the advantages of the timing wheel.

Lots say a Vic is going to snap, crackle, and pop. If mine did, it would be fixed or gone. I have a Doebeck Gen +4 tuner. Said I'd never do that but the spark plugs told a story I didn't care for much. All seems well with the tuner and the tune now. Oh and no popping, coughing, or gagging. Burns me up to have to put a tuner on to make a stock bike work right though.

Congrats, and enjoy the ride. Hope things work out well for you. They should.

cheers
Did you dial the D Gen in just as the video shows? Easy tune and install?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Did you dial the D Gen in just as the video shows? Easy tune and install?
No. I used the numbers from a guy on another forum. They seem to be a good enough starting point. I also set one of the double color to a slightly higher setting as per the consensus of others.
Anyway, I'll be happy to email them to you if I can actually remember them. Will have to check the unit to see what I ended up with. It is simple to tune, watch the video on the AFR+4 site. Yea really, that simple. Even a lost Texan can do it. LOL
As for install, go to buywitchdoctors dot com and watch the video for the AFR III. It is basically the same install short the gauge (I didn't care for the looks of the gauge. Very nice, but doesn't "belong" IMHO. It is tucked under a side panel and out of the way, I can pull it out to do settings and check how things are running but don't see any real need to).
Watch and LISTEN closely. They tell how to pull the tank without chancing the breaking of the famous fuel nipple and how to pop off the injector clips. He says they can be a PITA and means it. That is the only trying part of it I encountered. The rest is take your time, route things wisely. Check wires so they don't get pinched and the sort.
Set it, check it is you want, and ride. There are nuances to the controller but it seems pretty dummy proof. I am far from a master mechanic, but am handy.

Cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the info Tex!
I'm currently reading about and comparing info on fms's. I know most love the PC V but I just as soon have a system I can tweak with each performance change I may make to the bike.

·
13,002 Posts
what model bike do you have

check your exhaust flange bolts bet there loose. Get them tight and go for ride when you come home put some gloves on and re tighten them.
You might have to do this more then once.
I have read where guys have found no exhaust gasket in head port

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the vfc4 and pcv with at would be compareable to each other in that you can adjust pretty easily.

and i agree, op try plugging in your O2 sensors.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
no popping

running the dobeck AFR + thats gen IV my 13 hammer runs better than ever, popping matters little to me but noticed how quiet it was going down a steep mountain throttle closed. AFR gauge reading 11.5 at the time, wack the throttle and get a 13 reading, i love that fuel controller! i have a factory stage I tri-pro with holes drilled for a good sound, ness filter + 4 advanced on the Lloydz wheel, i am loving the bike even more than when i bought it!!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I put my wheel to +2 . Much worse.going back to +6 maybe try 7

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I had mine at +7 for a while, no issues. However I backed it down to +5.5 "just in case".

I am planning on getting a PCV and dyno tune from Kyle at the end of August or beginning of September, at which point I'll sell my Cobra unit.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I had mine at +7 for a while, no issues. However I backed it down to +5.5 "just in case".

I am planning on getting a PCV and dyno tune from Kyle at the end of August or beginning of September, at which point I'll sell my Cobra unit.

Sweet! Kyle will have you running strong and smooth. thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kyle ? who is Kyle ?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Kyle ? who is Kyle ?
Kyle Crandall of KMC Powersports in Westerly, Rhode Island. He's one of only a handful of Expert Victory Technicians. He's one of Lloyd Greer's Qualified Mechanics and he's a great guy. thumb up

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok guys, I'm from a slightly Different world with quads and dirtbikes and mainly carbs (but good ones though, FCR's are badass) but typically a decel pop is caused by a lean pilot circuit and richening that circuit will fix the problem. I realize that we're talking efi here but the concept is the same and the engine is going to react the same, it has no idea whether it's fuel injected or carbed.
Now, I'm not super familiar with efi tuning but I believe the Dobeck style controllers have settings for the pilot circuit if that's what they call it. I'd try richening that circuit a bit and also install Lloydz IAV. With that you can also shut down the rush of excessive idle air coming in and leaning the circuit when the throttle blades close.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
dobeck AFR + adds or removes fuel

i am no tuner by far but my recently installed dobeck AFR + aka Lloydz Gen IV controller cured the decel pop. my understanding is unburned fuel in the hot pipes ignite, the dobeck unit removes fueling on closed throttle, my AFR gauge reads 11.5 going down the mountain throttle closed. i am still not sure its reading an AFR as some settings do, the idle green setting is said to remove fuel from the programming in the unit. bottom line it WORKS, drilled pipes. ness filter + timing wheel at 4 advanced!! unless someone makes a lightweight 304 stainless exhaust for my hammer my upgrades are complete + i am very pleased!!!

·
13,002 Posts
guys hes popping when he lets off the gas not when he up shifting

1 - 20 of 66 Posts