Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon and happy Friday. I currently have a 2011 (purchased new in 2012) Kawasaki Vulcan 900. The first owner that I purchased it from wanted a Harley so he made it look and sound like a Harley. It has served me well; however, I would like a true Touring bike to ride. I had a great fourteen day ride out West last year on her, but would enjoy the comforts of a bigger bike. I am 5'10" with a 230 pound solid frame and need your advice. Indians are too expensive for me and everyone seems to have a Harley; however, they are no longer making Victory motorcycles. Do I invest in a bike whose company no longer manufactures them? Yes, I know I can buy parts, but are Victory Cross Country and/or Vision motorcycles reliable? Yeah, I know Harley's stand for F.O.R.D. or B.O.A.T., but at least they have dealerships everywhere in case I breakdown on the road. I do have a great mechanic here in Chicago, but it is when I am away from the Windy City that concerns me. I'm sure that Indian dealers will fix any Victory motorcycle. Yet, are Victory Cross Country and/or Visions reliable?

Second, since there are limited places that I can go to test drive the Cross Country and Vision, are the main difference similar to the Harley Electric Glide and Road Glide in regards to where the fairing is mounted? Do both come with the moveable windshield? Does that contraption freeze or often break?

I really like the look of both, but reliability, safety and comfort is the most important. Thank you in advance.
Lou

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Got Fix Or Repair Daily
whats BOAT ?
bought on a trip
Bother others at trafficlights?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Well Lou it's like this.............If you ever get a chance to ride a Victory Cross Country and get a back rest on it (they make a big difference in a long ride)......You'll love it and wonder why you didn't get one sooner. Harley's can't hold a candle to the smooth and comfortable ride that a Vic CCT has. I know... I had one.....Victory's are all around better by design.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Oh yea the F.O.R.D. is what Ford people say means First On Race Day. I'll race any of them in my Chevy any day.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, I've had my Vision for just over a year and it's been problem free and a friend has a 2011 Vision who also has had no issues. They ride really nice and all the comforts you really need. I would not hesitate getting a Victory

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm 5'10" and 230 lb. The ergos on the Cross bike fit like they designed the bike around me. I did add a back rest. I could easily fall asleep at the proverbial wheel. She handles like a dream at any speed. And has curbside appeal like no other. The Vic will never be lost in the crowd. I have a few extended multi-day rides under my belt with the Vic, but fewer than 20k miles on the clock (life gets in the way at times), but based on my experience and all the testimonials I've read from others I believe it is a solid machine. Honestly I am a bit disillusioned by the demise of the brand, but the inherent design characteristics of the machine and with continued aftermarket stuff available it should be a solid ride for several more years.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Victories are very reliable. Check out Randys Cycle in Marengo. I’m sure he will let you test ride to make a sale.

·
13,026 Posts
indian dealers that will work on vic';s are very few not to be counted on.
there's nothing wrong with HD and there is plenty of dealers across the country. You should ask your mechanic if he has vic knoldage. Vic's aftermarket world is getting far and few. Yes vic's are very reliable but if you have to go into the motor you'll need lots of cash.
Whatever you do don't forget to get owners book vic's have a special way to check the oil. If you want to sell a vic don't hold your breath waiting for someone to knock on your door

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
I have two Harleys, a BMW and a Vic. Guess which one I ride the most?:devil
Errrr geee this is a tough one..
Da BMW .... :devil LOL

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Hello, and welcome. Like you, I had a ton of questions about buying a discontinued model, and the same concerns that you have. After getting everyone's opinion and advice, they convinced me to pull the trigger on a 2017 Cross Country, and I am extremely happy with it.I have no thoughts about selling it, as I plan on riding mine until I can no longer ride.

Following OldDads advice, I put a back rest on it before I went on my first long ride. I now have a few multi-day rides on her, and she is v-e-r-y comfortable, and rides like dream. She's pretty much stock right now, and so far I've seen a lot of aftermarket accessories available.

Like everyone else has said, Victory's are very reliable, and just about any bike mechanic can work on them.

Good luck and let us know what your decision was.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't put on as many miles a some here but my scoots aren't garage bling either. Along with several 200 to 500 mi. days, I do at least one long haul every summer and while I ain't dead yet, I'm no young'un either. I finally decided Softails weren't meant for distance riding (the final bell on that one rang after I returned from a trip to Fargo and then Sturgis. Had my choice of a touring bike down to an HD Street Glide and a Cross Country. I had rented Street Glides a couple of time while on vacation so I was pretty familiar with them but the CC looked interesting. Finally got in a good trial ride at a local dealer and the decision was made. I've had this one to Phoenix and back as well as a trip to Key West last summer and I'm still pleased with my decision. BTW, I'm 5'10" and 205lbs and I'm plenty comfy.

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
The only major problem with the Victory Kingpin is that it hurts my zygomaticus major muscle. Can't seem to get rid of it. Minor problems such as always wanting to add more shiny bits and regularly having to stop to put gasoline in it are there as well.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=zygomaticus+major+muscle&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA772CA772&oq=zygomaticus+major+muscle&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Your FACE hurts from riding ¿ i had to google zygomaticus major muscle and found this wiki info ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
307 Posts
My 2 cents

Buddy, I sat on a Cross in '13 and rode a Vision. At the time I was 5' 10" at 220. Comfort was and is unimaginable (and IT doesn't even resemble a Harley). AIn't sayin' Crosses are "bad" just sayin' the Vision is way comfortable. Not sure about "everyone has one" crosses (and that may be a good thing I dunno) but my Vision handles like a sport bike in the mountains and twisites. Now storage is another thing. Cross has big boxes and can hold a bit more. I'm a smart a$$ about it and say if I need that much "stuff" I'll take my motorhome... the discontinued thing is a concern but they are R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E. At any rate, both are good but you can see where I'm a wee bit partial;-)

·
Registered
533 Posts
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand...

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Oh yea the F.O.R.D. is what Ford people say means First On Race Day. I'll race any of them in my Chevy any day.
They say that 95% of all the Fords sold in the last 10 years are still on the road.

The rest made it home. :D :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank You

Good afternoon and Happy Monday, everyone. I hope everyone had a great weekend. I really appreciated all of the feedback thus far. I did not mean to add fuel to the FORD vs Chevy debate nor did I want to imply that Harleys are unreliable. My buddies that ride Harleys just to seem to have their bikes in the dealer for this or that and complain that they are always being pressured to buy this, upgrade to that or to do a mileage service that cost $500-$1000. I totally understand that you need to spend money to care for your cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, toys in order to maintain them so that you can enjoy them. I have narrowed my selection to four bikes: a 2016 Cross Country Tour (first choice by far), a 2015 Anniversary Edition CCT, 2014 Harley Ultra Classic and 2015 Harley Ultra Limited unless of course something else becomes available. I just feel the CCT looks so unique and different than any other bike that I have seen with what I want/need it for. Thanks again for your advice.
Lou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts