Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a deer last night in MA riding home from our(LILMAGS500 & Booty68) trip to Lake Placid. NY.
Its hard to recall detail, it all happened in an instant. I was starting to accelerate out of a shallow turn, when I saw the ferns on the road side turn from green to tan?? She popped up and out onto the road. I remember grabbing brake,weighting forward hard and pulling to the right, at that moment I felt the thud and heard a crunch...I popped it in the rear haunch, she got punched sideways(i remember hoofs flying out) that was the last I saw of her. I went by and managed to keep control and up right. Got to a stop, got off while the shock and adrenalin kicked in. God's hand was on my bars last night, I clearly recall the voice; "be clam and ride this out"...which I listened to for a change...
Anyway, the deer was a yearling but of pretty good size(that's all I remember) I did try and find it but could not. The Vic took this hit incredibly well. I got a bent front fender and sheered left turn signal. Once I got myself together, I pulled the fender off the tire, checked the bike and over top to bottom. There was nothing else loose, bent or broken. Forks were straight and tight. This is one tough machine, rode the 2.5 hours back home and had no detriment to the bike's function, it handled and braked as normal. The XC flicked this off like it never happened.....Me on the other hand, I was a complete wreck for the rest of that trip :confused:
I took a few pics of the aftermath but they are bad...adrenaline was in effect.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
So glad you're OK PaIN.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Glad you were unscathed good buddy , all those miles we did and nary an animal in sight , strange how that happens . These things usually turn out much worse . Good on you for staying in control .thumb up

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got some deer alert stick on thingies and stuck them in the fairing opening kind of outa sight on my Vision. Cars put them on the bumpers out front and there has to be two matching units. Sends out a frequency that (supposedly)deer can hear.
One of the reasons I chose Vision over CC was the fairing style that integrates the turn signals into the body. Doesn't have small things sticking out to get knocked off.
I'd have gotten discombobulated too. Glad you made it unscathed.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Glad you're okay!!!

You remember what time and what road you were on?

Maybe you want to look into those Kuryakyn turn signals that some folks have put on in recent months.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Whauw .... Lucky your ok .... Could have been bad, but didn't

Good you were riding with buddies

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recovered the turn signal from the road. I repaired it and the front fender(as much as possible) this morning(also put in my replacement rt bag latch from Ma Vic). Now I've got to get back on that horsey and ride. thumb up

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Glad you're OK!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Does the new latch kit actually fix the issue or just replace what we have originally ?

·
13,247 Posts
Nice to hear your ok. I have been there and it takes days weeks to get your brain back to normal. I will keep my eye out for parts for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
The same thing happened on my Vision. 5k in plastic later and my bike is now good.
Although I don't think I'll ever try to outsmart a deer again. Now I know the correct move is to BRAKE, not try to accelerate around it.
Glad u didn't go down.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Close one! Sure glad it worked out for you. About 5 months ago a member called 'saddlebag' hit a deer on his XR and totaled it plus a lot of injuries to his body. Glad that didn't happen to you. I wonder why deer do that. One would think self preservation would prevent it but I guess their brain doesn't work that way in this case and they see an approaching bike, car, or truck as something far enough away so it's safe to dart across the road in their minds.

While going through parts of Wyoming recently I noticed these regional big rigs with these huge bar cages on the front of them and knew it had to be for the deer. They can't afford to stop for every deer they hit and they probably run round the clock like at dusk when the deer really come out onto the roads. At one stop I was talking with some guys in a motorhome heading to Sturgis who said something about all the dead deer on the side of the road. I didn't see any but I could sure smell them. I guess with them sitting higher up they could see what I could not. I think I'm grateful for that small favor.

Yep. Your motorcycle angel was really looking out for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a trip from WA to southern Utah I had two close encounters. One just outside Escalante a newborn was standing in the road parallel to the center line. He/she was so small I didn't see it until almost on top of him. Luckily he didn't move.
The second was in CO or ID I think. Maybe MT. I caught that one on video.

https://youtu.be/4kEYZSWRVfs

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
In an awkward way, your pain PaiN makes my situation more bearable. Ask Mags. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was.
Ric

·
Registered
415 Posts
Living and riding in Wyoming makes hitting a critter a given at some point in time. My record was two deer in 24 hours at 70 mph both within 5 miles of each other. Of course I did use a brand spanking new 2007 Peterbilt 379 to splatter both.

Seriously though, I chose never to ride the bike after dark even in town where the speed limits are at best 35 mph. In 2006 the wife and I clipped an antelope south of town at a pretty good speed. Like your experience it caused little if any damage to the StratoLiner but I about crapped myself when it happened. My wife had her eyes closed and didn't even notice until I pulled off the side of the road to try and compose myself. That one was at three in the afternoon so even riding in the daylight there is no promise of not whacking Bambi around here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts