Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three deer, Interstate Highway and rush hour.
I missed two of the deer(or they missed me) but the Vision took out the third. I know I am very fortunate to be unharmed except there may be snow on the ground before I get the Vision back.
So what did I learn?

1-Don't take all day to check your rear; head turn/mirrors. I was getting ready to change lanes.
2-If you think you have made it clear, deer can change direction very quickly and often. I think I could have closed my eyes and gone straight for a better outcome.
3-Not sure if hitting the brakes in traffic is a good idea but I will become better acquainted with my braking system once I get the Vision back.
4-The Vision is a really big motorcycle. Glad I wasn't on my Guzzi.
5-Remember #1 and #2.
6-I now grab the brakes when a leaf blows out of a roadside ditch, especially during low light hours. I'm getting better about that.
7-I laugh a lot more. It feels good.

Enjoy the ride, be safe, and remember #1 and #2.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good to hear you came out of that OK. What was damaged the most..deer or Vision? Ride safe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm glade you are able to write about it and are OK.

I just can't imagine what it would be like ot hit a deer on any kind of motorcycle, Vision or otherwise.

I hear about and read horror stories here in Australia about riders hitting Kangaroos and that's as bad hitting a deer I guess.

Anyway, I hope there was very little damage to the bike and NO damage to you.

Cheers Kym

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I have had friends hit deer this time of year when the hunters get them stirred up or the scent of mating drives them nuts. One friend had his wife on the back about sunset when he was out. Deer come across blind sided him knocking him off. She went with the bike down the road about 300 feet. He had cuts and bruises, she went to the hospital with trauma. both had helmets on. She lost part of her speech. I live in a area that I see them every day. Some times in a pack of 5. They do not care about who gets there first. They do not yield the right of way. So when I see one I slow down because I know there is more to come. And they will cross right in front of you. A rabbit can up end a bike. It is just the luck of the draw that you were not hurt. Glad you made it OK. Riding a bike is a extreme sport, that is the way I look at it. If not for the animals, the 4 and 18 wheelers.:crzy:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
cost

I know I'm very lucky. Things are a matter of inches sometimes. I have a hole the size of a softball in my right rear bag where the back hooves of the deer hit. Glad they didn't hit me. I think the deer slipped trying to change directions again and hit the bike low. The base of the Vision took most of the blow. Glad it wasn't higher up. I'll try and add a pic. The damage is at $8000 and could go up but will not be totaled. It's a 2012 and some parts are hard to get so may take awhile.

I've encountered lots of deer so I know it's a crap shoot sometimes. But feel that if I had seem them just a second sooner the accident would have been avoided. I also know some less fortunate in cars as well as bikes. Makes you think about things.
LINK:
http://www.victoryforums.com/album.php?albumid=360&pictureid=1044

·
Registered
257 Posts
Glad you are OK

I am glad you are OK. Hitting a deer can be bad.

One thing that you mentioned was to pile on the brakes which sounds like a good idea but may not be. If see a deer soon enough to hit the brakes and maintain control to avoid a collision then by all means do it. If braking is a delayed reaction that may cause you to skid and go down then forget the brakes and ride through the deer or any animal for that matter. You have a much better chance of maintaining control when you are riding in a straight line. You might end up with a near miss which is much better than sliding down the pavement and the deer running off into the sunset. It might be a 50/50 deal but that deer is going to feel the same pain as I am. I was lucky that the one I hit a couple years back was small. He bent my engine guard back and I never felt him hit the bike. I had no chance to even think of braking. cheers

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Larry. My braking comment was more about learning what I can or cannot do with braking. I agree braking can be a bad idea and I did not have time to brake either. It's just that most vehicles I have owned I have tried to learn how they handle in certain situations. I have over 12K miles on my Vision but have never really tested the braking. Partly because of its size. But it also has ABS and I have never even tested that to know how it behaves. Anyway, my bad, and hopefully that will be corrected soon.

You said you had a similar experience. Did you make any changes afterward in your riding habits? I know I'm trying to be more efficient/quicker in checking my rear or turning my head.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You said you had a similar experience. Did you make any changes afterward in your riding habits? I know I'm trying to be more efficient/quicker in checking my rear or turning my head.[/QUOTE]

Not really, there is only so much you can do to become more a efficient rider. I do tend to drive like a trucker and leave as much space as I can between me and the car in front of me. The main road I travel to work on is also the only way to the Des Moines Metro Landfill. I dodge crap on the road everyday.

I am a big fan of the Ride Like a Pro DVD's. I usually watch them once a year and practice the slow speed maneuvers a lot in the parking lot. I think the better you can handle the bike at slow speed equates to better avoidance skills. Anything to give me an edge is what I look for. cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts