Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 XCT around 55K miles on it.

This is the first year I haven't ridden every day (retired about 4 months ago), and as a result, cold weather killed the battery. Battery Tender Jr. took care of it for 3 months, and yesterday, found that battery is just "gone". One attempt to start and the headlight won't come back on. So have a new battery on order.

Using jumper cables, I have tried using a good marine battery to start, as well as direct to my car (while running - high idle). Every now and then, engine tries to turn over, but mostly I hear a rick-a-tick-tick and no start. I even took to bike's bad battery out completely, jumpers directly to black and red in the battery compartment.

I've read through the starter troubleshooting suggestions here and don't have the skills or equipment to do all of that. I'll try all of this again when the new battery gets here, but with that clicking noise, it reminds me of old solenoid problems on older cars.

Any thoughts on what might be causing my ills?

Thanks!

·
13,090 Posts
NEVER jump battery with car or truck running. You'll cook your charging system. Batteries don't last forever and in cold weather, they really needful charge. DO you have gas

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, full tank. I'll just wait for the new battery and see what's what then.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A running car could have damaged bikes electrical system.

Put your new battery on tender for a good 12-24 hours before trying to start bike again.

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
Are you starting it to go for a ride of at least a half hour? If not, let it sleep until you are. Running an engine for a few minutes is harmful in many ways. Hopefully, you have put a stabilizer in the fuel.
Before going for a ride in the cold, I place a room heater that has a fan near the engine for at least an hour before starting. That not only warms the engine, but also the starter, the oil and the battery. That makes life a lot easier on those components.
When the new battery arrives put an automatic trickle charger on it and leave it on the bench overnight before putting it in the bike.
If you are going to ride it in cold weather, remember not to push it into curves until the tires warm up. Cold tires have less traction.
Hopefully, you didn't fry the regulator and other electrics with that way to powerful jump start method.

·
13,090 Posts
add lock washers to battery bolts.
Why are you waiting for the battery when so many place sell quality ones

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you already ordered your battery, it may be too late, but I would recommend considering a Lithium Ion (LiFe) battery. They don't discharge nearly as fast while sitting for long times. They deliver full cranking amps when only partially charged. Since they don't contain acid they don't corrode terminals. They're light weight . . .

I put one in my CrossRoads about a year ago and have had zero problems. But only time will actually tell.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with the previous posts and would add that at this stage you are probably over thinking the problem.

My original battery only lasted 2.5 years probably as the bike was standing at the back of the garage for 4 months while I stored house reno gear at the front. I did try my Ctek on it but it failed the battery.

I put a new battery on and all was/is good, hope it works out OK for you.

Unless you fried the charging system.....

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the responses. I did buy a new battery which appears to have resolved everything.

·
13,090 Posts
I agree with the previous posts and would add that at this stage you are probably over thinking the problem.

My original battery only lasted 2.5 years probably as the bike was standing at the back of the garage for 4 months while I stored house reno gear at the front. I did try my Ctek on it but it failed the battery.

I put a new battery on and all was/is good, hope it works out OK for you.

Unless you fried the charging system.....

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
mark.price.9026
PLEASE add where you live and what model bike you to your signature. Thank You

·
13,090 Posts
Thanks to all for the responses. I did buy a new battery which appears to have resolved everything.
geekydad
Please add where you live and what model bike you have to your signature. Thank You

1 - 12 of 12 Posts