Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
That's hilarious. :)
It would be helpful if you had a complete sig and profile so we'd know what you have, its mods and where you live.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Seems his Victory is missing whatever model he rides.

Click

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
That H-D rider wasn't demoralized, he was educated. :)
Hey there MRMAXX, if your engine is stock, how'd you grab 6K revs? The limiter cuts in at 52 to 54K. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
had something similar happen one day after a full sunny day of riding. my dad and i (he in his yellow goldwing) pull upto a light that had the 2 harleys that cut us off earlier. harley rev'd and we all took off and in my left mirror i see 2 suprised harley riders shifting hard yet getting smaller and smaller. and in my right mirror i see a yellow gold wing staying with me. Dad hung with me the whole way. and was laughing at me at the next light. we agreed....that the harley riders would never speak of this incident ever again. lol cause they just got beat by a loaded yellow goldwing and shiney red victory with a trunk. lol :grin

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
had something similar happen one day after a full sunny day of riding. my dad and i (he in his yellow goldwing) pull upto a light that had the 2 harleys that cut us off earlier. harley rev'd and we all took off and in my left mirror i see 2 suprised harley riders shifting hard yet getting smaller and smaller. and in my right mirror i see a yellow gold wing staying with me. Dad hung with me the whole way. and was laughing at me at the next light. we agreed....that the harley riders would never speak of this incident ever again. lol cause they just got beat by a loaded yellow goldwing and shiney red victory with a trunk. lol :grin
Dontcha just love "educating" H-D guys? :laugh

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Odd how folks boast about blowing away a Harley yet you never hear anyone saying they smoked a Yamaha Venture ...

Even on the Yamaha Venture forum I see the same things ... but they never mention dusting a Victory ... or a Kawasaki ...

just sayin :wink

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Odd how folks boast about blowing away a Harley yet you never hear anyone saying they smoked a Yamaha Venture ...

Even on the Yamaha Venture forum I see the same things ... but they never mention dusting a Victory ... or a Kawasaki ...

just sayin :wink
Owned first gen Ventures from '83 to 2011 and we never considered Harleys to be in the same league, so ignored 'em. We tend to pay attention to those we consider to be direct competition.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Owned first gen Ventures from '83 to 2011 and we never considered Harleys to be in the same league, so ignored 'em. We tend to pay attention to those we consider to be direct competition.

I've also owned Ventures and am still a member on their site since 2006. Folks there post about beating a Harley ... heck, even I've done it a few times while I was riding a Venture. Not the same league? how do you figure that? Electra Glide / Royal Star Venture / 1st gen Venture ... same league in my book ... all full dress touring bikes that weigh appx the same.

The RSV won't get the jump on a Harley off the line but by the time you hit 3rd gear, he's in your mirror already.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A Venture. ...really? :eek

I'm was a Yamaha guy for years, still own a Warrior....

The Venture weights as much as the XC and only makes maybe 100 HP / tq. No way that thing is going to give me a race.... just not happening
Of course a Venture won't stand up to yours when yer runnin 120/120 but a stock XC is much less than that.

that is crank numbers for the Venture. I've also owned a few Ventures and I've not gone against a Harley that I didn't beat.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Please don't take this as a personal insult...

But the Venture is an out dated, overweight, under powered ....

Motorcycle. I haven't seen one on the road in years....
I'm not insulted in the least, but I do realize that the Venture was an early 1980s design that was ahead of its time at the time. I found it to be a very entertaining bike, that's why I hung in with 'em until 2011.
One doesn't see too many other early 80s bikes on the road either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I agree with you RICZ, I got a brand new 1984 Venture and rode it hard until 2004. Saying that this 2004 victory is still the most fun Bike I have owned.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Please don't take this as a personal insult...

But the Venture is an out dated, overweight, under powered ....

Motorcycle. I haven't seen one on the road in years....
nope, not insulted ... I gave up my '06 RSMV years ago.

However, there is still a very loyal following of both 1st and 2nd gens and I believe 2013 was the last year of production so while the cassette may be out dated, the rest of the bike still stands the test of time. Underpowered? ha! Those 1300cc V4s have lots of power .. what they don't have is bottom end torque.

Over weight? heck, they don't weight any more than an XCT, a Goldwing, or a Harley EGU. That said, they are the most "top heavy" of the bunch. On the plus side, their engine will outlast any V-twin air cooled bike there is.

As for not seeing them on the road, either you weren't looking or you've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time ... I see them fairly often and there isn't a real big owner group in my area.

Does this sound like I'm defending them? LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
When I had my Goldwing, I tested a RS Venture and while it was comfy, I thought it was dramatically underpowered. However, I never let the revs climb, so I probably just missed the entire power band. Oh well...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
When I had my Goldwing, I tested a RS Venture and while it was comfy, I thought it was dramatically underpowered. However, I never let the revs climb, so I probably just missed the entire power band. Oh well...
Exactly! You don't feel the power on them until about 4-5 grand ... there's a spot in there where you can actually feel the thing "take off".

You can also tweak the rev limiter and those things will pull hard way up to 7000 rpm.

Years ago when I had my '87 (a 1300cc same engine as a 2013 model) I was down in CA with a group riding 2-up. Rider on a Harley bagger pulled up beside us at a red light ... revvin his engine ... light turns green and he nailed it. Yup, he got the jump on me but I caught up to him and he couldn't pull away from me. I shut it down coz I couldn't take the jabbing in my ribs any longer LMAO!

Come to think of it, when I first test rode an XCT, I thought it was dramatically under powered for the engine size. Then I found out (from reading here) that they don't come alive until around 2500 rpm and even that isn't until after a few thousand miles of break-in.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Yes, the first gen Venture was top heavy, but not compared to the BMW K1200LT like the one I rented in Europe in 2000. And it was an absolute pig at lower speeds. I could not ride one today, but I'm an animal on my XR. I'm now a feet forward convert and enjoying the low seat height which is requisite for me to continue riding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Exactly! You don't feel the power on them until about 4-5 grand ... there's a spot in there where you can actually feel the thing "take off".

You can also tweak the rev limiter and those things will pull hard way up to 7000 rpm.

Years ago when I had my '87 (a 1300cc same engine as a 2013 model) I was down in CA with a group riding 2-up. Rider on a Harley bagger pulled up beside us at a red light ... revvin his engine ... light turns green and he nailed it. Yup, he got the jump on me but I caught up to him and he couldn't pull away from me. I shut it down coz I couldn't take the jabbing in my ribs any longer LMAO!

Come to think of it, when I first test rode an XCT, I thought it was dramatically under powered for the engine size. Then I found out (from reading here) that they don't come alive until around 2500 rpm and even that isn't until after a few thousand miles of break-in.
Swap out the ring and pinion gears for some V MAX gears and the jump gets smaller and the power comes on quicker.:grin

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Swap out the ring and pinion gears for some V MAX gears and the jump gets smaller and the power comes on quicker.:grin
yup, there's a few who do that and I know of a guy who does it for you. You send him your pumpkin, he does the job, and sends it back.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Sadly. But what do you expect from an 80 year old 3X cancer survivor who has been bombarded with chemo and radiation? Pretty wife and I are alright with that. There are other things in life, you know....like...um...motorcycles and cars? Yeah.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.