Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been told there is no way to attach an add on quick
detach tryke kit to a cross bike. anyone been able to adapt one?
seeings our bikes have the motor as part of the frame it wont work.
dont really want a 12000 dollar conversion. it is looking like i will
have to go to a 3 wheel option to continue to ride . at this point
im not going to get my knees done. so if anyone has any info on
a way to do the above i sure would like to hear about it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rode a motortryke conversion. kinda like a tank. talked to
the voyager people last year. they are only 70 miles from
me. they told me there is no way to do it. if i were bucks up
i would consider the more expensive spreads.
the csc sure looks nice. i kinda want to keep the bags.more
storage.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Good thing for you the Voyager doesn't fit. Most trike conversions run about 15k installed by the manufacturer or their dealers. Most won't let you do it yourself. Champion, mystery Designs and I think Frankenstein will sell you a DIY kit. Personally I'm planning on a Chamion. Same as a Lehman. Right around 11k.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
sorry Trike kits are not cheap. Here is one that might be close to you that you could talk to there in Ottawa, IL 61350

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/
As per their webpage:

Polaris

Victory (’98-’02) (B)
Victory CC (’03-’05) (B)
Victory Kingpin (’06-’07) (D)
Victory Kingpin (’04-’06) (D)
Victory Sports Cruiser (’00-’01) (A)
Victory TC (’02-’05) (B)
Victory Vegas (’03-’05) (A)
Victory Vegas 8 Ball (’04-’05) (A)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bummer to hear you may have to trike but the good part is you'll still be able to ride! The link below is for a dealer that carries conversions including legup, tow pak insta trike, and trigg trikes. These are all temporary and all cost much less that a conversion. Can't say if any of these have a Cross bike model but all of the do have a gold wing model so if they can fit them on a gold wing they can probably fit them on a Cross bike.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you do find some sort of add on wheel setup run a car tire on the back. MC tires don't last worth a darn with those rigs.
Find a tire that is in a size that you will be able to get replacements for so that when the gizmo is set by the installer you won't have to jerk around resetting it when you get the next car tire.

There are a few different versions of these out there: http://landingear.com/

Maybe they need a victory to use for a prototype.
There are other versions by other companies that do the same thing.
Also some home made ones running around the country that use electric linear actuator. I saw a video of a guy who build one for his sport bike which also had a wheel chair rack on it. Apparently he didn't have use of his legs at all. But it didn't seem to affect his riding.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I have a friend who had a dealer for Voyager install one on his gold wing. He and his wife did a 7000 mile trip with it and nothing but troubles. Uneven tire wear, out of balance. Had to remove one fender just to get it back home. He returned it to the dealer for a full refund, less what it cost him to paint it. They are now on a Wing with a DFT trike. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have a friend who had a dealer for Voyager install one on his gold wing. He and his wife did a 7000 mile trip with it and nothing but troubles. Uneven tire wear, out of balance. Had to remove one fender just to get it back home. He returned it to the dealer for a full refund, less what it cost him to paint it. They are now on a Wing with a DFT trike. Couldn't be happier.
That's pretty typical to have uneven tire wear and not be able to adjust it out. Car tires will last longer but still have wear problems.
Personally I would think they are kind of dangerous. Like having a trike with a ultra narrow rear end. Just what does happen if you come into a corner to quickly?

I would invest in a sidecar. We love them. They have had them sorted out since about a week after the first motorcycle was invented. They are as much fun to ride in as drive. Put a CT on the back and raked trees on the front your good to go. Doesn't have to be new. Just has to be heavy enough to match the bike it is going on.

We just bought another sidecar a big one on an Aspencade. Going to have our old one for sale with an evo HD on it. It isn't pretty at all but it has all the right stuff on it.
Liberty triple trees, Ractech springs and gold emulators, correct cam, mikuni, and an exhaust that works well with the sidecar mounts. It does needs painted. It's a HD so it does weep some oil, but it isn't a bank breaker either.

Probably something similar available in your area if you keep you eyes on Craigslist or the "rigs for sale" forum of sidecars.com.
You get a ton of smiles per mile with them even if they aren't fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts