Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it was detailing day, so I popped the bike on the jack. pulled the bags, panels and went to work.
I put 7k miles on the bike since installing the Avon Cobras. This was the first time I got a really close look at the rear, unfortunately its spent :mad: Lumpy on the sides and flat past the wear marks in the center. I was expecting more out it than 7k. As good as the Cobras are I do too many miles to be eating through a tire like that, I'm going to have to try something else.
When I put the bike down after finishing, I noticed the kickstand cleat split and sticking up. wtf with rubber today?

It did come out looking damn nice though :cool:

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
That sidestand rubber is only $7 at your Vic dealer. Its riveted, drill 'em out and replace with screw type fasteners and flat washers.
I have 16K on Avon Cobras and the rear still has some life left in it, although a tad flat in the center. I keep 42 psi in it and endeavor to ride as smooth as possible. Not slow, just smooth and that rewards me with a lot of miles per tire.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
5500 on my cobras , they show no signs of wear at all , front or rear . So far so good .

·
Registered
471 Posts
Im waiting to see how my new Metzler 888's do, so far 3500 miles on them and no worries:ride:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Lumpy on the sides and flat past the wear marks in the center.
Are you running them @ 42-43 PSI ? Usually the lumpy sides are under-inflation related ....

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you running them @ 42-43 PSI ? Usually the lumpy sides are under-inflation related ....
You'd think right....but I've kept the pressure at 42.

I spoke with Avon and they are going to honor the warranty and give 50% off a replacement.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I know different tire sizes seem to be made with different compounds etc. But on the Ventures you can hardly give away a Metzler. To many guys have had tread separations and throw the treads. Avons for the most part wear good between 6-9k I would say. I had excellent wear out of a Michelin Commander 2. I did mount up a Shinko and had about 4-5k on those when I traded the bike and they still looked great.
50% off I guess is worth giving them another shot as long as your not paying someone to mount them up and balance. So... 7k between cleanings? That sounds like me. I'd rather ride than clean the thing.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
I had first generation Ventures from their inception in 1983 to 2010. I got 22K (yes, 22,000) miles on an original Elite rear on my '83 and I was a lot faster than I am today--but smooth. I did try Metzlers as well as other brands and never got less than 17K on a rear tire. I guess I'm just one lucky SOB--in fact, I know I am, just by being here. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts