Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local Victory dealer in Westminster MD. to get Victory oil and a filter. They put Castrol Actevo X-TRA 4T 20W-40 and a HIFLO FILTRO filter on the counter. I was taken back and said I wanted Victory oil. He said Castrol makes Victory oil. He said I could mix the 1 qt. of Victory oil I already have with the Castrol. I was doubtful and still am but this is the Victory dealer telling me this. Was I mislead?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Well, to start with, I personally don't use Victory oil. I don't know who makes it either .Although, I'm sure it is whoever bids the lowest, just rebrands their oil in Victory bottles. As long as it meets the standards, you can mix oils. I wonder how corporate would feel about a Dealer not selling the Vic. Branded oil though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's good practice to be suspicious of what you are told, dealers especially. Research will tell you that the two oils are identical in specification.

I run Vic oil because I am satisfied with how my motorcycle performs and because Vic oil is the point of reference for lubricant related data provided by Vic in the service manual. Neither of those reasons is cause for you or anybody else to be purist. Oil is subjective. If you want Vic oil and the dealer offered something else, buy Vic oil elsewhere. If you want oil and the Vic dealer offered you oil that meets your requirements, buy it.

Castrol offers a great product line backed by extensive testing. They are big dogs in motorsport R&D. I wouldn't be afraid of any Castrol blend rated for my use and I would not be surprised if Vic oil came out of Castrol. That said, you might think a smart dealer would have the Vic oil inhouse first and then Castrol or others as well to provide choice.

Here's some vids. Granted the intent is to sell Castrol but they are a good primer on motorcycle oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zq2WEIdGZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSr7bfGSJTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuMk8zbXqCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKzowCJG7WA

·
12,984 Posts
Your dealer lying to you. Lube-tech makes the blend for all polaris models.
Most Vic riders are using WIX oil filters you can get at any auto parst store. p/n 51356

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would find a new dealer, you got severely mislead. The filter and oil will work, but mixing the two oils is not recommended. I would question the dealer's motives and ask them why they are selling the Castrol and not the Victory oil, along with non-victory oil filters when requested. I'm sure Polaris would like to know as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I took back to oil today. I believe Barnes is going out of business. No surprise! Fortunately I have another dealer I can patronize.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I took back to oil today. I believe Barnes is going out of business. No surprise! Fortunately I have another dealer I can patronize.
Good, glad you have another dealer local to you. Many of us aren't so lucky. There is over an hour between Victory dealers for me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is this your recommendation? If not, where did you get this from?
It's just my policy, I don't like to mix oils because they have different additive and base stock packages. Who's to say that two oils will live happily ever after or do something stupid? Chemistry can be a funny thing sometimes, and I don't want to be the one to find punchline.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's just my policy, I don't like to mix oils because they have different additive and base stock packages. Who's to say that two oils will live happily ever after or do something stupid? Chemistry can be a funny thing sometimes, and I don't want to be the one to find punchline.
Thanks for that clarification. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
$25 a gallon is a good price at Cycle Gear if I didn't have a ton of my preferred brand I would buy some.

This is just under $5.00 a qt.

How much did the dealer want?

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Throw in a $7.50
and have free shipping.

Total $36.62 for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Spectro is now making 20/40 engineered for Victory/Indian motorcycles. Yep says so right on the bottle and it is a semi syn oil too. Apparently the secret formula in Victory/Lubetech's facility leaked out. There, Now we yet another choice. wac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts