Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some upgrading to the bike this winter. One was the 21" wheel. My question is, I put a magnum ABS ring on the bike for the 21" wheel and my ABS light will not go out. Can't remember who told me it would work but it doesn't. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
In my humble opinion, if you have the proper ring for the wheel you are running, then perhaps it's something else such as an improper gap between the sensor and the ring. I've heard that can cause issues with the ABS light...

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Is the ABS pump coming on every time you brake? If it is, then it thinks one tire is slipping.
Count the teeth on the rear ring. Then measure the distance your bike moves for one revolution of the rear wheel.
That is the same number of teeth your front wheel needs to see at the same distance.
It doesn't matter if the wheel is not turning a full revolution, as long as both wheels see the same number of teeth in a given distance.
That is how the ABS module knows that no tire is slipping.

If it's just the light on and no pump action, then check the two fuses under the rear fender.
Also as @broggyr says, clean the sensor and verify that it is set to approx 1mm spacing from the ring.
Make sure the sensor wire is not cut and that it is connected to the wire harness.

It also wouldn't hurt to do everything mentioned above. Just to be absolutely sure.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Did some upgrading to the bike
Not to side track your post, but just a curiosity question regarding your screen name. Can I assume you had a zuke in the past, and what kind if I might ask? I have had both a 550 and a 750 myself (LOVED that 750, WICKED fast).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the ABS pump coming on every time you brake? If it is, then it thinks one tire is slipping.
Count the teeth on the rear ring. Then measure the distance your bike moves for one revolution of the rear wheel.
That is the same number of teeth your front wheel needs to see at the same distance.
It doesn't matter if the wheel is not turning a full revolution, as long as both wheels see the same number of teeth in a given distance.
That is how the ABS module knows that no tire is slipping.

If it's just the light on and no pump action, then check the two fuses under the rear fender.
Also as @broggyr says, clean the sensor and verify that it is set to approx 1mm spacing from the ring.
Make sure the sensor wire is not cut and that it is connected to the wire harness.

It also wouldn't hurt to do everything mentioned above. Just to be absolutely sure.
Light is on and no pump action, i will check on the 1mm :grin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to side track your post, but just a curiosity question regarding your screen name. Can I assume you had a zuke in the past, and what kind if I might ask? I have had both a 550 and a 750 myself (LOVED that 750, WICKED fast).
06 1000 was crazy fast. Lost it. A robin hit me in the head and went off the road and totaled it.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Happened to my buddy got a ring from a Magnum, he had the dealer flash the computer and it has worked fine since.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Good info, please read

The ABS ring from victory is the same ring for both XC and magnums. The difference is the ABS module is different. Now, with that said, you can buy an AFTERMARKET ring for a 21" or other sizes that have been made to work with stock abs system.

Now if you have installed an aftermarket abs ring for 21" wheel and still get light. Then verify sensor wire, connections and spacing away from ring on fork mount.

Lastly, some abs sensors have been known to fail. Some early on and others mostly later on when bike is much older.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts